10234 - Sydney Opera House

Etan

3 minutes ago, thecrapweasel said:

Is Amazon US trying to combat resellers?  They have this set listed at $399.99, ships from and sold by Amazon.  Retail was $319.99 on Lego.  I've never seen Amazon charge more than retail, only 3rd party sellers.

Looks like they're matching Toys R Us.  It came down to 319 when Toys R Us sold out a week ago.  Looks like Toys R Us got another pallet of them.

• Like 1

On 12/9/2016 at 0:57 AM, fantomas007 said:

No chance for Sagrada Familia or other christian building - the political correctness is very strong in TLG. Its a pity, because there is so much beautiful christian, buddhist, muslim and other buildings.

The coliseum would be great. For me is big surprise that the TLG chose the Big Ben, since there is already 1 building for London and there is many more interesting buildings around the world and from strong countries with big lego market, which havent had yet any building (Germany, China, etc). If choose second building from same country, then USA would be more logical, since it is the biggest market. My favourable buildings would be:

Coloseum (Italy) - one of the new wonders

Neuschwanstein castle (Germany) - but after Disney castle its unreal to make similar building

Pyramids (Egypt) - quite simple building, but in combination with sphinx would be great. Another, similar option would be Chichen itza pyramid as a tribute to Mexican factory :-)

Pisa tower (Italy)

Petra (Jordan) - another nice item from 7 new wonders

Eiffel tower, Liberty statue  - if we have a remake of death star and other sets, these would be more logical items to remake - very popular buidlings and are missing among many AFOLs

They could do the Forbidden City in China. Bunch of unique red bricks and top it off with a picture of Chairman Mao on the front side. That will for sure sell like hot cakes in China. Flippers in China would go wild.

The other option is to do the Terracotta Warriors pit. Have like 100 mini figures lined up in a grave, all in grey bricks.

• Like 2

On ‎12‎/‎12‎/‎2016 at 7:18 PM, ChristopherJB said:

They could do the Forbidden City in China. Bunch of unique red bricks and top it off with a picture of Chairman Mao on the front side. That will for sure sell like hot cakes in China. Flippers in China would go wild.

The other option is to do the Terracotta Warriors pit. Have like 100 mini figures lined up in a grave, all in grey bricks.

The problem is that either of those would just be a gift to LEPIN & co.  No point in targeting a market that's 90+% counterfeits.  I propose a life-size bust of General Douglas MacArthur.  He's got to be one of the least popular men who ever lived from a (mainland) Chinese perspective.

• Like 2

15 minutes ago, TabbyBoy said:

Some have recently sold on eBay UK for under RRP - not a good sign!

Because a lot of UK ebay sellers are quick flipping idiots who should stick to scalping west end musical tickets. In other countries it is moving steadily up. People have no damn patience these days and that is coming from me.

Edited by Val-E
  • Like 3

11 minutes ago, TabbyBoy said:

Some have recently sold on eBay UK for under RRP - not a good sign!

Damn...What a bummer.  Sucks when large sets sell for under MSRP after it's sold out on LEGO Shop @ Home.  I can recall when the 10179 sold for 20% less than MSRP on Amazon after it disappeared from LEGO Shop @ Home.  What a disappointment.

• Like 6

3 minutes ago, Ed Mack said:

Damn...What a bummer.  Sucks when large sets sell for under MSRP after it's sold out on LEGO Shop @ Home.  I can recall when the 10179 sold for 20% less than MSRP on Amazon after it disappeared from LEGO Shop @ Home.  What a disappointment.

Exactly. It´s when sets don´t sell, even at under RRP that I worry. See Benny´s Spaceship.

Guest TabbyBoy
21 minutes ago, Ed Mack said:

LOL - Yes, I know this is a set for the long haul. I don't have one but, a friend does (who just joined BP!). The reason I didn't go with this was because of storage costs as I won't have the free warehouse space forever.

1 hour ago, Ed Mack said:

That's when I dumped all mine.  Lost big since I had bought at MSRP, but I needed to free up space for Home One and I figured Han would want to upgrade to a better ship anyway.  When even the owner and pilot calls a ship a "hunk of junk", you know that thing is trash.

• Like 1