2013 Summer Clearances

sadowsk1

Picked up An Unexpected Gathering for $49 today.  May need to get more at this price.  Passed on $35 Attack of the Wargs, as there are tons left and am hoping for a bigger discount.  Same with Mirkwood Spiders at $21 and Hulk's Helicarrier at $35.

The Hulk set could be a mistake - Check Ebay. This set is still selling really high and well. The hulk minifigure sells for $25 already.

The Hulk set could be a mistake - Check Ebay. This set is still selling really high and well. The hulk minifigure sells for $25 already.

I am kind of torn on this set.  The Hulk is obviously the reason to get the set, but other than that there really isn't anything else that makes it a must have, IMO.  There were 10 sets left so I am going to check every few days in the hopes of it going to 50% off, which would definitely make me buy it.

I am kind of torn on this set.  The Hulk is obviously the reason to get the set, but other than that there really isn't anything else that makes it a must have, IMO.  There were 10 sets left so I am going to check every few days in the hopes of it going to 50% off, which would definitely make me buy it.

Yeah that would be definite. 

I bought 3 at $35. I am actually thinking about removing the hulk and trying to get $25 for the set without it. I think I could and just keep the hulk as the investment - because I agree he is the only really attractive thing about the set. I built it - it isn't too bad, but the chamber isn't big enough.

I agree. Hulk really is the main if not only attraction for that set. My Target is filled with a row of those and Walmart has a couple left still at retail. I'm hoping at least Target will discount those somewhat before too long.

The "set" is pure crap. You are paying $35 for a $20 figure. The other characters are in other sets..and only worth a few bucks each. Should have been $40 retail, and 35 regular retail. 25 is a better stock up trigger on this set. That bein said...we paid 35 for this month's ago at yoyo on sale...and again...we paid 35 for the hulk. I think we finished the plane...and started building the "what have you" before putting it away out if boredom. Unbuilt. What was that thing anyway...part of a building or part of a ship?

Picked up An Unexpected Gathering for $49 today.  May need to get more at this price.  Passed on $35 Attack of the Wargs, as there are tons left and am hoping for a bigger discount.  Same with Mirkwood Spiders at $21 and Hulk's Helicarrier at $35.

Unexpected Gathering's are starting to go extinct in my area the same way HD's did. You can still find them here or there at full retail price, but they are gone from over half of the Walmarts and Target's around, and finding them on discount ain't happening. I'm going to stick to my predection that the Unexpected Gathering will be the most sought after of all Hobbit 1st wave sets after EOL.

Did a run today of three Wal-mart's, all had relatively the same clearance going.  Unexpected gathering stocked to the gills @ $50 clearance.  The Hulk Heli-whatever was clearance at all three but only in stock at one.  So picked a couple up at $35, will probably go back for some Unexpected Gathering later this week.

Just my observation for the day :ermm:

Did a run today of three Wal-mart's, all had relatively the same clearance going.  Unexpected gathering stocked to the gills @ $50 clearance.  The Hulk Heli-whatever was clearance at all three but only in stock at one.  So picked a couple up at $35, will probably go back for some Unexpected Gathering later this week.

Just my observation for the day :ermm:

I passed on all the unexpected Gatherings. I think I can find this price at certain times with BOGO etc. and I think it will still be around for a while.

• Like 1

I passed on all the unexpected Gatherings. I think I can find this price at certain times with BOGO etc. and I think it will still be around for a while.

You may want to pick up a couple at least.  As others have said, I think Unexpected Gathering is the clear winner of the first wave of Hobbit sets.  IMO this will quickly become a $100+ set once EOL happens.  My $.02 is that this set lasts until the January clearance, but with the Christmas buying season coming soon, I think this level of discount on this set will dry up rather quickly.  Most Walmarts near me still list this at MSRP.  I have only seen it discounted at one location but have a few more to check.

Hit some Walmart's last night and saw some of the same deals posted. Picked up Batwing at $25, Power Lex at $13, and one Republic Striker Class Starfighter at $25 (I don't think this is a super investment, but have seen the ship built and it is pretty sweet so that one is to build).

Most frustrating was having two places with the Batcave, but it was not on clearance yet. I really want to pick up a ton more of that set at $50.

You may want to pick up a couple at least.  As others have said, I think Unexpected Gathering is the clear winner of the first wave of Hobbit sets.  IMO this will quickly become a $100+ set once EOL happens.  My $.02 is that this set lasts until the January clearance, but with the Christmas buying season coming soon, I think this level of discount on this set will dry up rather quickly.  Most Walmarts near me still list this at MSRP.  I have only seen it discounted at one location but have a few more to check.

Here is why I am not worried about it:

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Lego-The-Hobbit-An-Unexpected-Gathering-79003-/290957794820?pt=Building_Toys_US&hash=item43be6f9e04

Example of one of the many listings where I can get it cheaper, no tax, and I don't have to drive. Lol

Does walmart discount lower every few weeks like Target? I have a couple different stores with clearance items I have been waiting on for deeper discounts.  There is one store in particular in a low income area that has a lot back stock of LOTR, The Hobbit, Lone Ranger and Super Heroes sets, with only the LOTR hitting clearance so far.  Nothing has moved.  I know there are LEGO investors or resellers in my area because I've seen them once or twice when I was making my rounds after work.  I won' t be heartbroken if the discounted items are cleared out as I already have multiples of many of them, I was just wondering if it is worth it to keep checking on them hoping for them to change.

Does walmart discount lower every few weeks like Target?

From my experiences it seems as though when Walmart does clearance anything, the sale prices are immediate and not a gradual progression like Target usually does. On one day they can stick a set in the clearance aisle at full retail and it can stay there for months without a sale and then out of nowhere it can have a minimal 15% all the way to 50% off. For me, Walmart has been very random with their select discounts if and when they even have any. This summer's clearance sales have been extremely lackluster so far.
  • Like 1