Ideas #006: 21108 - Ghostbusters Ecto-1

Jeff Mack

= I over hoarded it.

I was thinking more along the lines that it's been in production for more than two years, longer than any other Ideas set to date and is long overdue a retirement. Of course it's very easy to be the cynical type and contribute nothing but 'hindsight' posts, stats about the previous years best sellers and highlight all the 'ones to avoid' when they've been in production too long or the poor performers once they've retired. I'm not sure if you buy and sell Lego or if you are just here using Brickpicker to relay yesterday's news?
  • Like 6

5 minutes ago, Crustybeaver said:

I was thinking more along the lines that it's been in production for more than two years, longer than any other Ideas set to date and is long overdue a retirement. Of course it's very easy to be the cynical type and contribute nothing but 'hindsight' posts, stats about the previous years best sellers and highlight all the 'ones to avoid' when they've been in production too long or the poor performers once they've retired. I'm not sure if you buy and sell Lego or if you are just here using Brickpicker to relay yesterday's news?

Yes... as far as I know he quit this game long ago. Now he is just shouting from the sideline. Which is ok... just sometimes I wished he would turn it down a bit. Cause it is getting annoying. People are loosing (serious) money on this game now. Which is not funny.

Edited by Ciglione
addition
  • Like 1

2 minutes ago, Ciglione said:

Yes... as far as I know he quit this game long ago. Now he is just shouting from the sideline. Which is ok... just sometimes I wished he would turn it down a bit. Cause it is getting annoying. People are loosing (serious) money on this game now. Which is not funny.

I´ll only be out when I have 0 stock left and those PS/PC etc will take years to get rid of.

As with any investment, people have to be prepared to lose as well as win so never play with stakes that are too high or ride one´s luck for too long.

There is now clear evidence that Lego are keeping successful sets in production indefinitely so it´s catch 22.

1 minute ago, Val-E said:

I´ll only be out when I have 0 stock left and those PS/PC etc will take years to get rid of.

As with any investment, people have to be prepared to lose as well as win so never play with stakes that are too high or ride one´s luck for too long.

There is now clear evidence that Lego are keeping successful sets in production indefinitely so it´s catch 22.

All true. But just turn down your "I told you so" tune. It is not funny. Lego changed the rules and I did not sign-up with these rules. And... I have to admit... with some sets (like 21108) you were right before hand. But no need to brag about it. Cause it is not something positive for people across the board. So here is your recognition. Now let's see what you can contribute to damage control.

• Like 3

5 minutes ago, Ciglione said:

All true. But just turn down your "I told you so" tune. It is not funny. Lego changed the rules and I did not sign-up with these rules. And... I have to admit... with some sets (like 21108) you were right before hand. But no need to brag about it. Cause it is not something positive for people across the board. So here is your recognition. Now let's see what you can contribute to damage control.

I think that cutting back on buying new sets is the best advice for damage control - especially if, like us, you have considerable stock already that you can´t / are not ready to sell

Sticking to a budget and never buying in the first 2 years are also things to consider. You may miss out on a few sets that EOL sooner than expected but you are not tying up capital.

• Like 1

To get back on topic, one would assume that Lego have the GB licence through to end of 2017, at the earliest. It would make sense for them to sell GBHQ and original Ecto 1 until then since they go together. If new ECTO 1 is not taking sales from the old one, that is. I have a feelling it could even be the other way around. Strange they only made 1 set from the new film and 2 from the original.

Isn't this the Ecto-1 thread?  Instead we're posting about beanie babies (STILL?!?).  This information/argument has been worn out in at least 3 other threads by the same person.  Thanks for your opinion.  Now contribute something new or just stop.  Also, stop reposting him.  I have him blocked, but still have to see it in your reposts.  Thanks team!

• Like 6

3 hours ago, Val-E said:

To get back on topic, one would assume that Lego have the GB licence through to end of 2017, at the earliest. It would make sense for them to sell GBHQ and original Ecto 1 until then since they go together. If new ECTO 1 is not taking sales from the old one, that is. I have a feelling it could even be the other way around. Strange they only made 1 set from the new film and 2 from the original.

Have to agree with you on the license length.  With all the R&D that went into the fire house they certainly weren't going to pump it out for a short period and I can only assume that the license applies to the theme in general and not just specific sets.
For TLG it makes sense really to keep the original Etco 1 around with the fire house.  

Although there must be plenty of people out there who have bought the GBHQ and are after the ecto-1 sans figures and also those who are only really after the figs.  If anyone thinks they have gone too deep too early on this one I'd look at parting it out.  I don't think there's much profit to be made in this strategy atm but getting you initial buy in back (after fees) is doable.

That said I still really like this set!

• Like 1

17 minutes ago, GiliusThunderhead said:

Have to agree with you on the license length.  With all the R&D that went into the fire house they certainly weren't going to pump it out for a short period and I can only assume that the license applies to the theme in general and not just specific sets.
For TLG it makes sense really to keep the original Etco 1 around with the fire house.  

Although there must be plenty of people out there who have bought the GBHQ and are after the ecto-1 sans figures and also those who are only really after the figs.  If anyone thinks they have gone too deep too early on this one I'd look at parting it out.  I don't think there's much profit to be made in this strategy atm but getting you initial buy in back (after fees) is doable.

That said I still really like this set!

Ecto 1 has the same 4 minifigs in the GBHQ, the GBHQ are a bit better as they have printed arms. 

It´s out of any logic that we have 2 ecto cars on shelves... it´s nonsense... Even in an actual theme or strong licence like Superheroes would be a nonsence to have 2 very similar sets together on shelves, And GB is an old movie (yes we have a new women version, but it is crap and everybody prefer the original version). It looks like TLG prefers killing the secondary market to behave logically... There is too many unlogic things now - cannibalistic number of modulars, remake of 10188 (instead of made it different, instead of remake of older UCS sets), immediate EOL of some sets and neverending life of other sets, keeping SOH so long with the old box (if they want to keep it longer, why not changing the design of the box, as in TB?), etc, etc. If TLG thinks that investors are bigger enemy than Lepin and co, then its horrible and stupid...

1 hour ago, fantomas007 said:

It´s out of any logic that we have 2 ecto cars on shelves... it´s nonsense... Even in an actual theme or strong licence like Superheroes would be a nonsence to have 2 very similar sets together on shelves, And GB is an old movie (yes we have a new women version, but it is crap and everybody prefer the original version). It looks like TLG prefers killing the secondary market to behave logically... There is too many unlogic things now - cannibalistic number of modulars, remake of 10188 (instead of made it different, instead of remake of older UCS sets), immediate EOL of some sets and neverending life of other sets, keeping SOH so long with the old box (if they want to keep it longer, why not changing the design of the box, as in TB?), etc, etc. If TLG thinks that investors are bigger enemy than Lepin and co, then its horrible and stupid...

Both Ecto 1 and Ecto 1 &2 are top sellers, its a no brainer from lego to keep them out as their cash cows

• Like 2

4 hours ago, fantomas007 said:

OR...they already produced plenty of Ecto-1s and have them sitting in a warehouse.  They made the initial run of Ecto-1/2, and let them both float on the market and see how the new movie does and if it pushes the sales of the new set (it didn't).  Now they can easily retire the Ecto-1/2 after that initial production run and keep the original Ecto-1 alive as long as it still sells.  It seems like a very sensible thing to do for the company.  They don't have to bet big on either set and let the consumer determine their path. 

How does any of this kill the secondary market?  Perhaps they saw the longevity for iconic Ideas sets (Delorean prices skyrocket) and it costs them very little to make a new batch of Ecto-1s twice/year (or whatever their production schedule is), but that still doesn't kill the reseller market.  It just means we aren't the only ones paying attention and TLG saw demand and shifted their strategy to help meet it.  As a reseller, you should do the same.  And since Ecto-1 doesn't eat shelf space at most retailers (at least in the US), there is no push from the big boxes to clearance it or dump it.  The only place I see it is TRU, and mine still has retail price Ultra Agents and Chima, so they don't mind something sitting in the Lego aisle unsold for 3+ years.  Sorry for the rambling/uneven post.  Good luck to those who went deep on this...I have my one set aside to build :)

• Like 1

Guest TabbyBoy

I can't help thinking also that Ecto 1&2 will bite the dust well before Ecto 1. Most of us know that some remade movies are crap which makes the original movies and their merchandise even more nostalgic. My money is on Ecto 1 (Ideas version) becoming the next Delorean in the Ideas theme. The Mystery Machine could also be good but, the stickers may hold it back a bit.

21 hours ago, Sfcommando14 said:

Isn't this the Ecto-1 thread?  Instead we're posting about beanie babies (STILL?!?).  This information/argument has been worn out in at least 3 other threads by the same person.  Thanks for your opinion.  Now contribute something new or just stop.  Also, stop reposting him.  I have him blocked, but still have to see it in your reposts.  Thanks team!

It is, and some posts have moved to where they belong - the retirement speculation dumping grounds (unfortunately it wasn't the trash bin since I don't want to be accused of being a bad mod again :sarcastichand:).

• Like 2

4 hours ago, TabbyBoy said:

I can't help thinking also that Ecto 1&2 will bite the dust well before Ecto 1. Most of us know that some remade movies are crap which makes the original movies and their merchandise even more nostalgic. My money is on Ecto 1 (Ideas version) becoming the next Delorean in the Ideas theme. The Mystery Machine could also be good but, the stickers may hold it back a bit.

It would be great if your prediction for Ecto 1 would turn out to be right but I have my doubts. In my opinion, a similar price trajectory to the Delorean set is already unlikely, and becomes even less likely with each additional production run for 21108.

• Like 1

I think resellers will have to cede to the fact that some sets aren't meant for us. They're meant for everyone, and Lego will keep these sets out indefinitely (i.e. Death Star, Tower Bridge, VW Van). I wouldn't be surprised if this set got remade to fit all four of the minifigures inside like the reboot set. If you don't have the stomach to wait and see on this one, sell your stash and move on. Hopefully you bought it at a discount so won't take a big hit. I know this set was being used as virtual currency for a lot of us. "What did you buy today? Oh, another Ecto 1 this week - up to 60 now, grin." Yeah, now this guy is screwed.

• Like 7