Ideas #006: 21108 - Ghostbusters Ecto-1

Jeff Mack

I'm confused. Why are people saying they are losing money on the Ecto 1?

has it suddenly dropped in price? No. It continues to trade at 80-100% of RRP on eBay. Plus you can split it and sell the car for £30 and the figures for £25, oddly i even auctioned the empty box once for £10. 

When it eventually goes EOL, who knows how it will perform. Patience, ladies and gents. Patience. :)

this set's continued production and availability is certainly a disappointment. talk of its performance as a set is premature since it hasn't retired though certainly if you have had money parked in this set's stock you've seen no return on cagr at all with no prospect of an end and then the slog begins.  

resellers myself included got sucker punched after the spectacular performance of the much uglier DeLorean and the surprise of the GBHQ which certainly is a factor of continued production.  whoever said ecto1/ecto2 will outlive this set was probably right.

i still am optimistic for its performance after EOL though.  i have no choice since i have more than a few dozen.

I am rethinking investing in Ideas globally as a theme and reallocating that towards increased architecture .

• Like 2

18 minutes ago, cladner said:

this set's continued production and availability is certainly a disappointment. talk of its performance as a set is premature since it hasn't retired though certainly if you have had money parked in this set's stock you've seen no return on cagr at all with no prospect of an end and then the slog begins.  

resellers myself included got sucker punched after the spectacular performance of the much uglier DeLorean and the surprise of the GBHQ which certainly is a factor of continued production.  whoever said ecto1/ecto2 will outlive this set was probably right.

i still am optimistic for its performance after EOL though.  i have no choice since i have more than a few dozen.

I am rethinking investing in Ideas globally as a theme and reallocating that towards increased architecture .

go with seasonal sets like SW instead , saw some fresh 34R6 of those today to go with the last weeks 32R6 Ectos.

Glad to see SW will make a full run through the holidays, they were starting to get scarce...

• Like 2

2 hours ago, ravenb99 said:

go with seasonal sets like SW instead , saw some fresh 34R6 of those today to go with the last weeks 32R6 Ectos.

Glad to see SW will make a full run through the holidays, they were starting to get scarce...

AICT128.jpg

its juniors from here on out.

Edited by cladner
  • Like 2

12 hours ago, CNH1974 said:

I'm confused. Why are people saying they are losing money on the Ecto 1?

has it suddenly dropped in price? No. It continues to trade at 80-100% of RRP on eBay. Plus you can split it and sell the car for £30 and the figures for £25, oddly i even auctioned the empty box once for £10. 

When it eventually goes EOL, who knows how it will perform. Patience, ladies and gents. Patience. :)

I think it depends a lot on where you are located and what the market conditions are. For example, in The Netherlands the Ideas Ecto-1 set is not sold in any regular toy store which sells Lego. According to Brickwatch this set hasn't even been sold below RRP anywhere here. And auctions on Marktplaats regularly run up to €50 for a NISB set. Which is rather funny when people could alternatively buy it for €49,99 through LEGO Shop at Home and get VIP points for it as well!

• Like 3

• 3 weeks later...
Guest TabbyBoy
38 minutes ago, Nick83 said:

Seen a 36S06 in LEGO Store

In the UK, we only have a 4 character code. The 20 I bought from Asda are 36S6.

I´d say the odds on this one retiring by 2017 have gone up. YSB and Apollo still to come this year, fishing cabin in early 2017 means a crowded iDEAS range.

It´s also almost 6 months since new Ecto was released. I am going with retirement in December along with Dr Who and TBBT

Guest TabbyBoy
1 hour ago, Val-E said:

I´d say the odds on this one retiring by 2017 have gone up. YSB and Apollo still to come this year, fishing cabin in early 2017 means a crowded iDEAS range.

It´s also almost 6 months since new Ecto was released. I am going with retirement in December along with Dr Who and TBBT

Not necessarily as LEGO also have a crowded range of modular buildings, Friends and Star Wars with no hint of EOL that I'm aware of. These days "sold out" tells me that they are redesigning the boxes for yet another production run of 10,000,000,000,000,000,000,000,000,000,000,000,000 copies of each set. I'm honestly thinking that this could be the first year with no EOLs before Xmas. Why would they if they sell well?

I have a lot of Ecto1 and I want it gone!

On 12/10/2016 at 3:28 PM, Val-E said:

You called it! :)  Just missed the surprise retirement of WALL-E. 

Are you sure that Apollo 11 is coming still this year? The IDEAS site hasn't given any indication for that yet, and they did already state that the Ideas set for Adventure Time comes out on January 1. So as far as I know the Apollo 11 set will come out in Spring 2017, with Fishing Cabin then coming out in Autumn 2017...

Guest TabbyBoy
28 minutes ago, Legodrdoom said:

Soon to be retired :) I only have 5 of these so far but il get another 10, For me regardless of how long its been in production its an awesome set with a great box and i don't mind holding on to these for the time being as its my favourite ideas set so far !!

https://shop.lego.com/en-GB/Ideas-Sets

It's a superb set and if anything is getting close to the Delorean, this could be it? Remember that fans prefer sets linked to the original movie, not crappy remakes so, I'll not be buying Ecto 1/2.

Out to backorder at EU SAH like Wall-E and Doctor Who.
Of all the retiring soon items, only SC and EV have not moved to backorder. That makes me think both will be done when they eventuallly sell out.

I wouldn't be surprised if SC and EV get the good-ole Disney cheese wedge price increase treatment within 1-year EOL similar to 10188/75159.