10316 - The Lord of the Rings: RIVENDELL

6 hours ago, Mathew said:

72564A04-7186-45F8-A726-EDFBEC48D1D1.thumb.jpeg.f3ef24a7b2d5a03618051d45c5240880.jpegOne does not simply build Rivendell in a day. 

2CE7B46D-DB30-413C-B079-8B2437A84BEC.thumb.jpeg.fe86a714d8a52dcd8701507699fa409e.jpeg

I am still on the Gazebo which is amazing, just no building time lately, so best build ever? I don’t do any Technic and have not built any of the $600+ SW UCS sets, but know you did the UCS AT-AT, this set has top 3 potential for me so far. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

3 hours ago, Pseudoty said:

I am still on the Gazebo which is amazing, just no building time lately, so best build ever? I don’t do any Technic and have not built any of the $600+ SW UCS sets, but know you did the UCS AT-AT, this set has top 3 potential for me so far. 

I came out of my “dark ages” about 11 years ago so I’ve been building Lego for quite awhile. I’ve also sold some great sets I now wish I would’ve kept. Tower of Orthanc was one. So it’s tough for me to say “best build ever” or “my favorite set”.

The AT-AT and Rivendell are my top two favorite sets I currently own. With exception to the final tree I would have given the honor to Rivendell. I just don’t love building Lego trees and this one specifically got on my nerves trying to arrange the leaves and branches just so. Otherwise a grand and beautiful set that was mostly a joy to build.

• Like 2

Agreed on “next level build”. I built Bilbo’s House after Rivendell and aside from the front window it was like a juniors set in comparison. Wait until you join all the sections together into a whole. It really is impressive the engineering that went into such an aesthetically pleasing model.  I especially like the staircase in the main hall. Warning that the roof tiles over the main hall are more tedious than the first section. 

Edited by Mathew
  • Like 2

On 4/9/2023 at 7:23 PM, Mathew said:

I rebuilt Bilbos house. I really like the set but  not sure how well it goes with Rivendell. I think there’s a slight chance this gets redone in a $180 set similar to the blacksmith. Trying to decide whether to sell or not. 
D7C21699-036A-4528-98C6-47EA0F41187B.thumb.jpeg.a230ea8b574efc569e249d9eb420948f.jpeg

I've held onto one remaining 79003 in box for the day I ever got around to building it. However after seeing your comparison along with the increase the set is now going for now. I'm probably going to end up selling it. I couldnt put these two beside one another after seeing this. 

Maybe one day we'll get an updated model. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Aup27 said:

I've held onto one remaining 79003 in box for the day I ever got around to building it. However after seeing your comparison along with the increase the set is now going for now. I'm probably going to end up selling it. I couldnt put these two beside one another after seeing this. 

Maybe one day we'll get an updated model. 

Well to be fair it is a hobbit house. If I had a sealed copy I would definitely sell now. Mine was previously built but in storage. As a side note the brown in particular the headlight bricks are very brittle in this set. All of mine cracked around the lip. 

5 hours ago, Pseudoty said:

I sold the minifigs from this set for $300 as I am not really a minifig guy more into the build. But the display is so good I just had to buy them back off of 2 sellers on BL for $160     Still up a few $ but kind of a fail. 

I can’t imagine this set without minifigures. Honestly I regret selling any sets now that were for personal builds. Not worth it. 

• 3 weeks later...
On 4/13/2023 at 9:56 AM, Mathew said:

Warning that the roof tiles over the main hall are more tedious than the first section. 

Facts! I still have 10 bags left to go. Set looks amazing so far and once completed I will probably go back and add the stickers as some parts just don’t blend in well without them. 

A7982C3C-B506-4854-8227-3967214DFC37.jpeg

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

Finally got to “finish” this set 3 months later. I still have to do the rest of the Minifigures, weapons and stickers plus tune up some alignment of elements. I new something was off when I built the first section and broke it down partially and rebuilt it but it does not align securely so will have to look into that some more. Also those steeple elements are torqued and don’t align properly. 

The end of the build was by far the least enjoyable, the trees and the council chairs were way worse than the roof tiles. I think the chairs could have had a more simple build and looked better. I was only missing one piece a sand green plate used on the roof but I borrowed one from a tree and it is not noticeable until the replacement comes in. 

Overall a great build with some new advanced techniques, awesome elements, and great color scheme. The light aqua cupcakes with the new white plant stem and white dinosaur tails look amazing, Gimli’s Helmet printing!

The absolute lowest rating I can go would be 8.5 out of 10 but for me 9.5 and a top 10 build and Display set for sure. 

E5F890AF-9575-40F7-933B-228F279C8E46.jpeg

161F605E-B16D-4A26-927D-3FA00204786E.jpeg

8FD8FBD0-BA17-41AF-A3A5-C6AD8D6C3867.jpeg

75A064D1-058B-4B05-8B83-54C4894A7F09.jpeg

D921BBC6-9E2D-4D26-B693-5A6250BA8D50.jpeg

• Like 7

1 hour ago, severalads said:

How are you going to display yours? I built mine when it was released, I love how it looks on my cupboard, but concerns grow about dust. And I just don't have that much spare cash to spend on display case😂😂

I always just go with dust and bare it, but this set is so open especially the council where all of the Minifigures will go. I am kinda glad I missed out on the limited edition case as that would have been hard to pass up but the price. 

Did you have any of the build issues that I listed?

10 hours ago, Pseudoty said:

I always just go with dust and bare it, but this set is so open especially the council where all of the Minifigures will go. I am kinda glad I missed out on the limited edition case as that would have been hard to pass up but the price. 

Did you have any of the build issues that I listed?

I haven't had to dust yet, but I'm not looking forward to it lol. I was considering the case as well, but hate putting it in a box with how beautiful it displays. Might just have to keep some air cans handy.

I did notice partway through the first second that I was slightly off at one part on the base, and I fixed it then. I don't remember what it was though.

I was missing one piece (one of the 2x3 pentagonal plates on the back), and I'm somehow banned from replacement bricks and pieces so I need to order one soon. No other issues aside from that.

• Like 1

12 minutes ago, TheOrcKing said:

I watched this yesterday and grabbed a cheap dimensions Gimli off of eBay there are a few others that look superior but they are pricey. I like the idea of making the best Minifig by combining parts from both. 

The set is now available at Amazon and Walmart. 

Edited by Pseudoty