10316 - The Lord of the Rings: RIVENDELL

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...
24 minutes ago, Pseudoty said:

Surprised it went to BO during VIP early access with both GWPs no longer available. None of the other recent $300+ sets have done so. Frodo listing is gone:

https://www.lego.com/en-us/product/frodo-gollum-40630

Using a readily available set as gwp for $500 purchase was weird.  Did LEGO plan a different gwp that did not pan out then used 40630 as last minute sub?

• Like 2

13 hours ago, Darth_Raichu said:

Using a readily available set as gwp for $500 purchase was weird.  Did LEGO plan a different gwp that did not pan out then used 40630 as last minute sub?

That’s why I decided to wait. I’ll definitely get this one, but the GWP offer was just silly for this. I would rather have just gotten double VIP points. A really cool GWP probably would have gotten me to buy it early.

• Like 2

13 hours ago, Darth_Raichu said:

Not that I am aware of but remembering the Titanic we could have got nothing. So at least we got the BHZ and House 1. If I wasn't parting out the figs, stickers, box, instructions, weapons and so forth I would wait for 2X VIP and XMAS GWP stack. 

3 hours ago, severalads said:

First LEGO set in 10 years that I actually bought for myself, will open it and build it. Sooooooooo excited!

20230314_091837.jpg

How is this new packaging compared with the previous large boxes from lego?

Wondering whether to just buy Rivendel from actual shop rather than getting a damaged set delivered.

27 minutes ago, Voltron said:

Wondering whether to just buy Rivendel from actual shop rather than getting a damaged set delivered.

Mine arrived in great shape 9 out of 10. The set is broken down into 3 modules with 3 corresponding instruction manuals. It would have been nice if they used 3 inner boxes with the associated bags inside of them and then did the fancy printing on them like they did for the most recent UCS sets. Instead we get a large generic white box and a bunch of loose bags. 

Still a risk with delivery but the new inner cardboard impact inserts seem to help. 

• Like 2

2 hours ago, Voltron said:

So that's exactly how DPD delivered it, no other outer boxes. Tbf the cardboard is very sturdy plus those extra cushioning on the sides.

3 hours ago, Pseudoty said:

Mine arrived in great shape 9 out of 10. The set is broken down into 3 modules with 3 corresponding instruction manuals. It would have been nice if they used 3 inner boxes with the associated bags inside of them and then did the fancy printing on them like they did for the most recent UCS sets. Instead we get a large generic white box and a bunch of loose bags. 

Still a risk with delivery but the new inner cardboard impact inserts seem to help. 

I agree, they could do better job with sorting bags - I've only been through bags 1-5. Some of them were in white inside box. Some weren't. I would have thought it would make more sense to put for example bags 1-20 in that white separate box and others in overall bigger box. Seemed a little random.

Edited by severalads
  • Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

I haven’t had much time to work on this just finished the first part, bags 1-11 of 49. The tiles weren’t an issue but the tower base was off a tad and I had to break it down and rebuild to get it just right which I still wasn’t able to do as there is a lot of tension on some free floating elements. 

47B2F92E-4704-442E-B2E0-28CC7E5022F2.jpeg

• Like 2

22 minutes ago, Pseudoty said:

I found it got easier to straighten them once the plate was full as there was more resistance when using the 2x12 straightener. Also you need to go in both directions on the X and Y axis. 

The house we moved into last year has diamond patterned carpet in the finished basement and I found the similarity funny.  Love the build so far.  The tiles were pretty easy to straighten using the flossing technique.

image.thumb.jpeg.b87b105e7ca792448bb9d76b979ff71c.jpegSometimes it's the little things.

Edited by Mathew
  • Like 2

Thanks to this set, the other Lord of the Rings sets have seen excellent spikes in appreciation.  The Tower of Orthanc jumped from around 600.00 during Christmas to now 1000.00 on Amazon for MIB.  Same goes with the Two Towers sets.  

This has become my most lucrative theme to own.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, fossilrock said:

Thanks to this set, the other Lord of the Rings sets have seen excellent spikes in appreciation.  The Tower of Orthanc jumped from around 600.00 during Christmas to now 1000.00 on Amazon for MIB.  Same goes with the Two Towers sets.  

This has become my most lucrative theme to own.

Well 2016- until now is a super long hold. Congrats.