75005 - Rancor Pit

cpcarey1225

• 6 months later...

I'm starting to see these at Wal-Mart for $40. A good bet to appreciate after EOL? 

What do you think? 

what do you think?  think it will appreciate after retirement?  go with your gut.  buy 'em if you believe in this set. 

more than a few of us have stocked up on this set for slightly less than what you paid.  $40 is a nice price.

bottom line is to let not other's influence your buying.  as opinions are like..everyone has one :) 

for me personally, past Jabba-related sets have done well.  ...and we do have Star Wars madness approaching once again  next year.

I am going to acquire some Rancor Pits but I unfortunately sold most of my Jabba's Palace sets for a nice profit when they were on a big sale.

The question that I have is does anyone think it is worth it to acquire more Jabba's Palace sets at $150 or should I move on to other sets.

What do we think the Palace top end price will be in 2 years?

Thanks for the reply. I am a total noob at this - I am always willing to follow the lead of successful people because success leaves clues. If it follows Jabba's Palace even a little bit it should be a winner.

I am trying not to let my personal preferences sway me too much. I'm a total Star Wars nerd. ;)

Thanks for the reply. I am a total noob at this - I am always willing to follow the lead of successful people because success leaves clues. If it follows Jabba's Palace even a little bit it should be a winner.

I am trying not to let my personal preferences sway me too much. I'm a total Star Wars nerd. ;)

understood and we all have been "noobs" at one time.

i think you will find out over time that going with your gut will net you higher returns in the long-run.  however, there are "some" you will learn to trust and other you don't (don't follow the lead :)  ). that is part of the fun learning. 

thus, i would totally recommend, "let my personal preferences sway me too much." unless you are going after the majority of Clone Wars and prequel stuff.  Browse through the price guide and the "tools and data" sections on the home page to see how comparable themes / sets are going.

thus, i would totally recommend, "let my personal preferences sway me too much." unless you are going after the majority of Clone Wars and prequel stuff. Browse through the price guide and the "tools and data" sections on the home page to see how comparable themes / sets are going.

Thanks so much for the encouragement. At least they will be fun to build if they tank, LOL.

a nice Rancor fig, complements/completes Jabba's Palace, plus an OT set...sounds like a winner to me.

only negative is that it has been discounted for a long time at retailers, but i'm a buyer @ 40 or less

I'm on my way out this morning to pick up a few more. I have a feeling these are going to be gone soon.

Do you think that Rancor will be going well in future? Its very overpriced set (low number of pieces), even if I buy it discounted for 40e. It is ideal in combination with Jabba palace, but I am not sure, if to buy as much Rancors as Jabba palaces. I have now 14 Jabba palace and 7 Rancors, and have an opportunity to buy more discounted Rancors. Is it better for future to have all Jabba palace supported by Rancor set?

Do you think that Rancor will be going well in future? Its very overpriced set (low number of pieces), even if I buy it discounted for 40e. It is ideal in combination with Jabba palace, but I am not sure, if to buy as much Rancors as Jabba palaces. I have now 14 Jabba palace and 7 Rancors, and have an opportunity to buy more discounted Rancors. Is it better for future to have all Jabba palace supported by Rancor set?

Hard to tell, but I think that the

7x [jabba's palace]

and

7x [jabba's palace + rancor pit]

you already have are ok.

On the otherside, having more of this set for less than 40

I think a big factor thing hurting Rancor Pit's sales (and price) here in the US is that you can't buy Jabba's Palace anymore.  I think once the Pit goes EOL, it should shoot right up to US$70 or $80.  But, I'm new at investing so my forecasts should be ignored. (seriously)

But speaking as a buyer, I can't imagine buying a Jabba's Palace without a Rancor Pit.  My son wanted Jabba's Palace for his birthday (about 2 months after they completely disappeared... thanks again, son), so I went on ebay and ponied up about US$140 for one, and immediately thought, "How can I buy this without getting a Rancor Pit?  You know he's going to have the Palace finished about 10 minutes, and then he's going to start asking for a Rancor Pit... What's going to happen when Jabba pulls the trap door?  Luke is going to take 1 step down to the surface of the table below and just stand there?"  So of course, we got them both.  We built the Palace first, and it's great - no question. Then built the Rancor Pit, and I was surprised - it's quick but a fun build.  As you're building it, it has a certain satisfying "sturdiness" about it. And the play features are great too.

• Like 2

Jabba's palace is now $175 shipped on Amazon, and ebay is catching up as well. (just sold one for 155 shipped)

These are iconic OT sets and will continue to rise. 

I could easily see Jabba's Palace at $250-300 in less than 12 months.

once the Rancor disappears it will be $100 easy. 

As to those that say it has a low piece count, it also has a HUGE maxi figure. Imagine how many bricks that would add to the total if it were brick built. This is a clear case where set WEIGHT should be used in place of piece count.

• Like 1

I think a big factor thing hurting Rancor Pit's sales (and price) here in the US is that you can't buy Jabba's Palace anymore.  I think once the Pit goes EOL, it should shoot right up to US$70 or $80.  But, I'm new at investing so my forecasts should be ignored. (seriously)

But speaking as a buyer, I can't imagine buying a Jabba's Palace without a Rancor Pit.  My son wanted Jabba's Palace for his birthday (about 2 months after they completely disappeared... thanks again, son), so I went on ebay and ponied up about US$140 for one, and immediately thought, "How can I buy this without getting a Rancor Pit?  You know he's going to have the Palace finished about 10 minutes, and then he's going to start asking for a Rancor Pit... What's going to happen when Jabba pulls the trap door?  Luke is going to take 1 step down to the surface of the table below and just stand there?"  So of course, we got them both.  We built the Palace first, and it's great - no question. Then built the Rancor Pit, and I was surprised - it's quick but a fun build.  As you're building it, it has a certain satisfying "sturdiness" about it. And the play features are great too.

This is a very nice comment and I'm sure many of us will appreciate that kind of personal feeling.

Comradly

• Like 1

It's also fun and not too hard to combine two rancor pits to make a larger, more stable base for jabba's palace. This allows the tower portion to sit above the pit as well, instead of having to be disconnected from jabba's main entertaining space. I did this project with the kids after seeing some other people's mods on euro bricks and it was a lot of fun. We were also able to make the whole thing a bit taller with the extra bricks. Much improved. Now I've sold the figs from the second set, so it cost me basically nothing.

• Like 2

It's also fun and not too hard to combine two rancor pits to make a larger, more stable base for jabba's palace. This allows the tower portion to sit above the pit as well, instead of having to be disconnected from jabba's main entertaining space. I did this project with the kids after seeing some other people's mods on euro bricks and it was a lot of fun. We were also able to make the whole thing a bit taller with the extra bricks. Much improved. Now I've sold the figs from the second set, so it cost me basically nothing.

Sounds interesting. Have pics?

Ours is a little different, but here's the thread that gave me the basic idea.

http://www.eurobricks.com/forum/index.php?showtopic=78309

It also allows the gate to be raised and lowered while the palace is on top, which the official version does not.

Very nice, I have two loose Jabba and two loose Rancor sets, so I should be able to do this.  Thanks for sharing...

I'm going to wait until next Summer and I'll probably buy like 4 loose Cantina sets to mod something up too.