75005 - Rancor Pit

cpcarey1225

In my opinion, this set really doesn't stand alone well w/o Jabba's Palace 9516. Even when the Sail Barge arrives, 70005 doesn't complement it. So, will this set continue to sell well (for Lego) without 9516? My son has one of these opened. Other than the Rancor and putting this set under Jabba, not much else happening, even he gets bored and ends up using the Rancor in another set (e.g. Rancor eats at Cars Flo's V8 Cafe). With 9516 going EOL this year, anyone else thinks Lego will pull the plug only after 1 year? If so, we have a really nice low profile set for investing. I'd love to hear your thoughts,

I just don't see a reason to keep the Rancor set around w/o Jabba's Palace on the store shelves.  It doesn't integrate w/ the Skiff nor new Sail Barge sets.  Maybe Lego hopes keeping it around in 2014 will tempt some JP owners to finally pick up a some.  Regardless, this set can still be retired in Dec 2013 so I'm paying attention.

I JUST picked up 2 more Rancors from yoyo.com for $89.90 after tax. Honestly, i would considered this a semi-decent %off purchase if the sets didn't retail for $59.99. Heck, the retail should be $39.99 or $44.99 max.

Anyway, here is the best part of the order. Yoyo is using LaserShip and the scheduled delivery date is TODAY.

How did you wrangle that price at yoyo.com, if you don't mind me asking?

• 2 months later...
Guest TabbyBoy

Thanks for the heads up, ordered 2.

The last time i ordered from John Lewis was a Passenger Train, arrived totally crushed, they sent a replacment the following day and never picked up the crushed set :twitch:

The same happened when I had a torn box from Asda Direct.  I went to pick up a replacement Unimog and they didn't ask for the old one back so I built it!

• 2 weeks later...
  • 3 months later...

Here's a hot tip:  Although Rancor's hanging around, his upstairs neighbor will be vacating the property soon, nudge nudge wink wink.

And for those of you who aren't big on subtlety, Jabba's Palace will be retiring in the next couple months.  The rest of 2012 SW will be heading out too, with the X-wing being the exception- we get that one til 2015.

• 5 weeks later...

I have been out of buying Lego for awhile as we all know it is an expensive hobby, especially for a PT worker/FT student.  Anyhow, I saw a couple Rancor sets at Target today for $42, or something around there.  As of now, I only have one SW set, but really like this Rancor set for the big mini-fig and the cool packaging.  Is this still too much to pay?  One of the investment reviews says to wait till they are around $15!?!.....ummmmm, when/where would I ever find this set on a store shelf for that??

Thanks for any comments.