75005 - Rancor Pit

cpcarey1225

I've been wanting to get this set along with the Palace for a while...but considering that I need to save money to get the Black Gate, UCS X-Wing, UCS Orthanc and LOTR Pirate Ambush later this year I think I will have to keep postponing it. I'll be sure to grab a couple since I think this will be one of the last, or last, chances to get an actual Rancor minifig.

The Rancor is great! Can't believe Lego didn't produce him earlier, such an iconic part of the movies. Not a huge fan of the rest of the set though.

I agree that he was a very iconic part of the movies. What kid doesn't remember the monster who eats creatures like that. ;) Joke aside, I think the set is great pared with Jabba's Palace from a playability point of view.

• 2 weeks later...

In my opinion, this set really doesn't stand alone well w/o Jabba's Palace 9516. Even when the Sail Barge arrives, 70005 doesn't complementit. So, will this set continue to sell well (for Lego) without 9516? My son has one of these opened. Other than the Rancor and putting this set under Jabba, not much else happening, even he gets bored and ends up using the Rancor in another set (e.g. Rancor eats at Cars Flo's V8 Cafe). With 9516 going EOL this year, anyone else thinks Lego will pull the plug only after 1 year? If so, we have a really nice low profile set for investing. I'd love to hear your thoughts,

Edited by jaisonline
thread merges

easy now! even without jabba's palace, people will still want the pit for one reason only...THE RANCOR IS FREAKING AWESOME! several years from now i can see the rancor figure alone selling for almost as much as the msrp of the entire set now, assuming they don't remake him of course, which is always possible.

Wonder if Lego will change the box since it has JP on the back showing how you can stack them

Good point, I didn't even think about that. It probably won't keep the box from being changed though, but then again who would've predicting the Jabba's Palace hysteria. I guess anything is possible now.

easy now! even without jabba's palace, people will still want the pit for one reason only...THE RANCOR IS FREAKING AWESOME! several years from now i can see the rancor figure alone selling for almost as much as the msrp of the entire set now, assuming they don't remake him of course, which is always possible.

Agreed.

The rancor is freaking awesome. One of a kind and may never be repeated. I can't imagine in what setting this figure could be repeated since I imagine the Star Wars franchise has licensing rights so that it's a mold that cannot be reused other than in Star Wars settings.

That's from nerd knowledge, not wiki! ;) Rancors are traditional riden by inhabitants of the Hapes Consortium and Dathomir. Former jedi night and Queen Mother Tenel Ka's lightsaber was even made out of a Rancor tooth. In the Fate of the Jedi series, Luke and Ben Skywalker (along with two force wielding Dathomiri clans) are defending under siege by the Dathomiri Nightsisters. The Nightsisters have over twenty armored Rancors which they at first use to storm the Platteu the jedi are encamped on, but are then rendered less effective by the heroes defensive strategies. Basically, it is Rancors with massive shields, swords, and clubs, being riden and controled by force users. Yes that is quite a nerdy mouthful :D #studyup!

I find the Rancor Pit a very interesting set and this point quite interesting as well. It is a minor set IMO and really is incomplete without the Jabba's Palace. I can easily see this set being retired soon after the 9516. The Rancor is the only thing of true value with this set and many investors might look elsewhere.