Star Wars 2023

brickvoyeur

DS Throne Rooms... I never have found them interesting as sets.  Seems like a waste of bricks again.  Seems like we just had one.

Endor Speeder Bikes - pricey for a speeder or two and 3-4 figures.  Probably get a tree too. 

UCS - betting now that it is Mando ship - either the RazorCrest or the new N-1.

TIE Bomber - hope it scales with the Solo TIE fighter but no holding my breath.

• Like 1

20 hours ago, cardensb said:

DS Throne Rooms... I never have found them interesting as sets.  Seems like a waste of bricks again.  Seems like we just had one.

Endor Speeder Bikes - pricey for a speeder or two and 3-4 figures.  Probably get a tree too. 

UCS - betting now that it is Mando ship - either the RazorCrest or the new N-1.

TIE Bomber - hope it scales with the Solo TIE fighter but no holding my breath.

Mandos razor crest could be cool.  If the N1 I'd be gutted it wasn't a proper UCS naboo Starfighter

You guys talking for this fall UCS set ($530 one) or for the rumored smaller one for '23?  I would prefer a large MBS for the larger set this fall and a Razor Crest at the $200 (now 230) pricepoint next year.  But with the sticker sheet being leaked, it appears we'll get a monster Razor Crest for some reason.  If the UCS for next year ends up the new N1 and not an original Naboo Starfighter, it will be 2 in a row I'll be skipping.  

• Like 2

3 hours ago, Huskers1236 said:

You guys talking for this fall UCS set ($530 one) or for the rumored smaller one for '23?  I would prefer a large MBS for the larger set this fall and a Razor Crest at the $200 (now 230) pricepoint next year.  But with the sticker sheet being leaked, it appears we'll get a monster Razor Crest for some reason.  If the UCS for next year ends up the new N1 and not an original Naboo Starfighter, it will be 2 in a row I'll be skipping.  

curious for your reasons why?  Many fans would love a large scale RC

41 minutes ago, Graphicski said:

Loving it and being able to afford it are two different things 

based on your post (as I understand it) you seem to be willing to pay for a MBS but not Razor Crest; so it's not the money, but the subject matter.  What about the MBS makes it a better value than an UCS RC?  I'm just trying to understand how the subject matter affects perceived value...

for example do MBS have more unique MFs therefore more collectable and likely to appreciate better than a Ship w/ 1 token MF?

I have 21 UCS / MBS sets (with the AT-AT on the to-buy list) and a UCS Razor Crest for the pound equivalent of $530 would be a hard pass for me. I don't care, none of the spin-offs have enough history for me to care yet, and I can't see how a set 4x more expensive than the current one could possibly be justified, particularly as a first foray away from the films.

Maybe I'm just out of touch.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, $20 on joe vs dan said:

based on your post (as I understand it) you seem to be willing to pay for a MBS but not Razor Crest; so it's not the money, but the subject matter.  What about the MBS makes it a better value than an UCS RC?  I'm just trying to understand how the subject matter affects perceived value...

for example do MBS have more unique MFs therefore more collectable and likely to appreciate better than a Ship w/ 1 token MF?

Honestly - I have no idea what an MBS is 😂😂

I meant cost in general.  Too many sets are £300/400/500 plus.  I'd usually rather a £150 to £200 version be made that more people and fans are able to get and enjoy that would still provide a detailed, varied build that looks great on display. Not getting the clone troop transport for that reason and I freaking love that ship and older lego versions of it. 

Edited by Graphicski

1 hour ago, Graphicski said:

Honestly - I have no idea what an MBS is 😂😂

I meant cost in general.  Too many sets are £300/400/500 plus.  I'd usually rather a £150 to £200 version be made that more people and fans are able to get and enjoy that would still provide a detailed, varied build that looks great on display. Not getting the clone troop transport for that reason and I freaking love that ship and older lego versions of it. 

OK, I misunderstood your post.  it is the price point alone.  sorry

18 hours ago, $20 on joe vs dan said:

curious for your reasons why?  Many fans would love a large scale RC

For me, I don't care enough about a ship that lasted 1+ seasons of a Star Wars show to drop over $500 on it.  $200-300? Sure.  If Lego is going to charge me $500 for a UCS, it better be something impressive along the lines of a Venator.  

Outside of a few UCS ships that area going to be larger and  command a higher price, I think that $200-250 is a sweet spot like the X-Wings, Y-Wings, Snowspeeders, etc.  For the higher price point, give me that large Geonosian Arena, Endor Bunker/Ewok Village type set that is of a grander scale.  A single ship that holds little importance (to me at least) is not getting my $500.  

Bottom line, it's not the money, it's what I feel I'm getting for that money.  I have no problem with the price of the ISD or AT-AT, but a similar price for a Razor Crest just doesn't sit well with me.  I'll BL the figures and move on. 

• Like 4

12 hours ago, Goofball814 said:

Because the general population wants nothing to do with anything Prequel related.

Between how bad the most recent trilogy was and the kids that grew up with those movies now being of an age that they have more disposable money to throw around, I think you'd see better performance out of a premium set from this era than you think.  We're not talking about making another Anakin/Tusken raider set here. 

EP2, in my opinion, is definitely the weakest of the prequel trilogy, but the Geonosis stuff is pretty good between the Arena scene and the subsequent chase/battle with all the different vehicles and troopers they had.  Just think of the figure selection Lego could put together for that set.

• Like 2

15 hours ago, Goofball814 said:

Because the general population wants nothing to do with anything Prequel related.

I have always looked at the Prequels as being flawed but still having good parts. On the other hand, the most recent trilogy with the exception of some great potential from Kylo Ren was pretty much just garbage. I don’t even know of any kids that like it either.

Not to be blasphemous here, but as a family we actually like the prequels better.  We didn't watch them when they came out, but rather after we had kids.  Stories (and back stories) are so much more interesting (and deeper).  One of my boys is really into Star Wars and has seen all the other series as well.  It's been interesting to me as he has filled me in on a lot of it what happens in between movies.

The prequels got better as they progressed through RoS -- Jar Jar aside.  Maybe just watching all the first 6 movies once I may feel differently, but having deeper stores makes the prequels better to watch over time.

Every year as a family we watch a series of movies -- usually during the holidays.  Harry Potter Series, LoR/Hobbit, Star Wars . . .  When it comes to Star Wars they do not include the recent sequels.  Rogue One is included and they might reluctantly put Solo in.  We were watching this year and I was like "ok, so Force Awakens next?".  They're just "nope, that's it".

Disney is much more concerned with being Woke than making good movies.  If random people on Youtube can take Disney movies, edit them with no budget, and make them better it tells you something.

Edited by gmpirate

There are elements of the prequels that I definitely liked, but I have always had a hard time getting past Jar Jar Binks, the fact that the setup for the entire story is a trade dispute, the absolutely atrocious dialog in Revenge of the Sith, and the general thinness of the story of how Anakin falls to the dark side.  That was definitely a situation in which we would have all been much better off if Lucas had made the same decision that he made with Empire and Return, and handed the movie making off to more capable hands.

I think the animated series Clone Wars made teh prequels much more palatable..especially how the sequencing of the final episodes worked w/ Revenge of the Sith.

I think Anakin's turn would have been more believable if he had rage issues starting from the beginning.  How he goes from a level-headed general into a constant raging psychopath is a head scratcher.

• Like 1

My distaste of the prequels seems to have gone down as I age, I stikl remember watching them in my early twenties on day 1 of release. I would probably still cringe a little at phantom menace now, but can sit thru attack of the clones and revenge of the sith. 

3 hours ago, redcell said:

There are elements of the prequels that I definitely liked, but I have always had a hard time getting past Jar Jar Binks, the fact that the setup for the entire story is a trade dispute, the absolutely atrocious dialog in Revenge of the Sith, and the general thinness of the story of how Anakin falls to the dark side.  That was definitely a situation in which we would have all been much better off if Lucas had made the same decision that he made with Empire and Return, and handed the movie making off to more capable hands.

But the trade dispute was just a distraction.  Get people quarreling with each other while a true ultimate power is really emerging.  Get people so enraged and distressed that they give up their freedoms for a savior -- so they thought.  It's really just the history of our own world.  "So this is how democracy falls, to thunderous applause".

Anakin's "fall to the dark side" started really from PM.  There was the premonition by the council -- warning signs.  Over the three movies it just grew worse.  He wanted more status, power.  He was warned against having a wife/girlfriend/being attached to anything.  Leads to fear, and fear leads to the dark side.  He lost his mom, and then feared loosing Padme.  He became desperate in his fear and was driven towards a false savior (see the correlation?).

Dialogue?  Well, yeah but its not like they were making the movies for oscar winning performances.  Most of these big epic movies have similar dialogues.  It wouldn't be how people would normally speak.  I just overlook that part of it in the same way I do some of the more ridiculas creatures/aliens they have in all of the movies.

Well, I'm probably geeking out a bit here 🤪  And like I said before, I really didn't care much for the prequels originally but came to appreciate them more once I really started paying attention to what was really happening (the story) and not just the epic adventure of it.  On the surface there is one basic story but the underlying layers of different relationships were interesting.  So many people think countries/empires are taken over by brute force but in truth they aren't.  In fact the brute force comes after a new power takes charge.

I'm sort of the same way.  EP2 and 3 have grown on me over the last 20 +/- years.  The last three, I'm not quite there yet.  Too much social issues hidden in the context of those films.  CWs really won me over to EP2 and 3 though.  I loved Rebels too and think Rogue One is probably in the top 4 movies of the series.

The disney plus mini-series are good enough for me but I don't know how a large set will turn out when we don't have the grand battles or scenes like an Ewok village or Hoth and be worth it.  Hoth's set, I know many didn't like, but I thought it was great. 

I pick and chose USCs and MSBs so the subject will either sell me or not.  I have the AT-AT from about 10 years ago and it is really too big to display well so I have not bought the new USC set yet.  The landspeeder just did not bite my "must have it" unlike the Slave I.