75313 - UCS AT-AT

exciter1

On 12/7/2021 at 5:50 PM, $20 on joe vs dan said:

if you can't flip Luke's light saber this season wait till Vader's comes out.

here's my take on these since Yoda's came out:

Yoda was a GWP for $200 R2-D2; after-market price plateaued at $85

Luke's was a GWP for $800 AT-AT; price has been around $130-$160...Yoda's recent sold prices were $250-$300

kinda gives you and idea of what might happen when Vader's saber comes out

...the whole series could be $1k in 5 years 

I had a look at BrickLinking the most recent lightsaber. Excluding the printed piece it came to around £20. The prices they're going for are insane.

8 minutes ago, CsabaLazlo said:

I had a look at BrickLinking the most recent lightsaber. Excluding the printed piece it came to around £20. The prices they're going for are insane.

there are TONS of retired sets that can be BLed for a fraction of the price...what exactly is  your point?  That hard to get LEGO sets are expensive???

who walks into Tiffany's and complains that silver knicknacks shouldn't be this expensive

Edited by $20 on joe vs dan

On 12/9/2021 at 9:28 AM, $20 on joe vs dan said:

there are TONS of retired sets that can be BLed for a fraction of the price...what exactly is  your point?  That hard to get LEGO sets are expensive???

who walks into Tiffany's and complains that silver knicknacks shouldn't be this expensive

I don’t get the appeal of a brick built lightsaber hilt. Comparing this to Tiffany’s:  Do you think Lego put their top notch designers on a project that most 12 year olds could MOC themselves?

On 12/9/2021 at 11:22 AM, Alpinemaps said:

Finally saw this in person the other day.  It is impressive.  Most impressive.

I have a hard time wrapping my mind around ever spending close to $900 (with tax) on box of plastic bricks. With that being said I do need to drive to the Lego to see it in person. 

Just now, Alpinemaps said:

Article says that you’ll need a knife to get the pieces apart. I mean, it’s LEGO - you’re supposed to be able to take the thing apart if you want.

Right. I get that. But how many people are spending $800 on a parts pack?  You’re buying it for long term display purposes. I guess it creates a challenge for reselling a used set. 

The parts that have the issue are used to attach the top to the base. So, if you wanted to partially disassemble the set say for a move you need to place the entire set on its side to use the technique they recommend. 

Some people are getting all caught up in that is an illegal build technique while others are saying it is a design flaw. I think we will see a Wall-e fixer upper pack coming out in a few months. Not sure if they will do a redesign on sets not produced yet. 

1 minute ago, Harley Quinn said:

You can take it apart.

Lots of hype over a non issue.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

the correction issued by LEGO does not the address the part that has the reviewers abuzz...JANG's first comments states this.

That said...no one is taking apart their AT-AT and using it as spare parts.  Also the issues can be side-stepped by taking apart 99% of it.  not many "purists" are buying $900 star wars set.

Also there's an element of clickbait-ness here. Many AfoLs are currently researching fervently to justify (talk them into or out of) buying such an expensive set.

12 minutes ago, keymomachine said:

Do it! At worst you build it, enjoy it a while and then sell it for basically what you paid for it.

Which is what I do with a lot of Lego sets. But $800+ is a large cash outlay all at once. I’m in a rare (and lucky) position to do this right now. There’s just the psychological barrier.