Prediction of worth for Series 10 "Mr. Gold"

TheOrcKing

# 4544 has been found in Idaho. He has listed it on eBay. A 5 day auction may not have been the best option though.

#4838 found in aTRU in GA

Many thanks keeping track of those Mr Golds. Makes my job a lot easier! Heh heh.

This is such a terrible breakdown of figures.

With the exception of the Roman Commander and the Revolutionary soldier.

It will make some of the others really hard to get.

It could be better and Lego changed the ratio from 3-4-5 to 2-4-6 to compensate for the smaller standard box size started with Series 9 that contain only 30 minifigures. My beef with Series 10's ratio is most of the minifigures in the middle bracket of 4 would be better suited for the army building 6's. Warrior Woman, Revolutionary Soldier, Tomahawk Warrior, Paintball Player, or Decorator even. But no, what do they decide on? Motorcycle Mechanic and Skydiver. Oh yeah, cause I just GOTTA have a ton of those guys. Sheesh.

Still, this is one series for me that I could just get by with buying a sealed box; the overall ratio works well for my collective habit of wanting 'extras'.

It could be better and Lego changed the ratio from 3-4-5 to 2-4-6 to compensate for the smaller standard box size started with Series 9 that contain only 30 minifigures. My beef with Series 10's ratio is most of the minifigures in the middle bracket of 4 would be better suited for the army building 6's. Warrior Woman, Revolutionary Soldier, Tomahawk Warrior, Paintball Player, or Decorator even. But no, what do they decide on? Motorcycle Mechanic and Skydiver. Oh yeah, cause I just GOTTA have a ton of those guys. Sheesh.

Still, this is one series for me that I could just get by with buying a sealed box; the overall ratio works well for my collective habit of wanting 'extras'.

They certainly have screwed it all up.

It would be one thing too if they only had say 2 or 3 figures that only had 2 in a box, but 6???

The figures they pick for the extra ones should be more for the army builders or for ones the kids will want heavily. A decorator? They need to go back to having a minimum 3 per box IMO. It is why we are seeing minifig boxes completely ransacked now.

They certainly have screwed it all up.

It would be one thing too if they only had say 2 or 3 figures that only had 2 in a box, but 6???

It is messed up. I suppose for collectors that want a complete set are fine with a box of 30 but not many know or think about just buying a box. Heck, I didn't even know about buying a sealed box from the retailer until a month or so ago. There are so many army builders in this series it's not even funny. They could have gotten away with 4-2's, 6-4's, and 6-6's.

The figures they pick for the extra ones should be more for the army builders or for ones the kids will want heavily. A decorator?

I had originally thought by looking at previous patterns that the Decorator would have been a 2 instead of a 4. I just said that a Decorator would be better than a Skydiver because, much like the Series 9 Plumber, I could use a few for my cityscape. Always trying to think ten steps ahead when it comes to these limited Minifigures and potential MOC ideas. The Skydiver is fine and could be better if he had a double sided face instead of just the one.

They need to go back to having a minimum 3 per box IMO. It is why we are seeing minifig boxes completely ransacked now.

At the moment, it's more of that darn Mr Gold being the cause but a minimum of three would make finding even rarer characters easier to get a hold of. I think so far, I have only found barely three of the Roller Derby Girl from Series 9. The Forest Maiden has been much easier despite being just as rare.

At the moment, it's more of that darn Mr Gold being the cause but a minimum of three would make finding even rarer characters easier to get a hold of. I think so far, I have only found barely three of the Roller Derby Girl from Series 9. The Forest Maiden has been much easier despite being just as rare.

No, I am responding to a series 9 box. I live in a small town and this was the first time I have seen multiple bags ripped open at K-Mart. Of the 20 packets left between the two boxes, 10 of them were cops.

The Target ones all disappeared really quickly.

I have managed to get a few Roller Derby Girls (I think I have 5 spares now?) and once I have finished opening all the boxes and making sets I will go from there. The Tarot Reader, Plumber and Waiter have all been shocking for me to find.

No, I am responding to a series 9 box.

Oh. My mistake.

Having more desirable characters as the 'rares' that are either a 1 or 2 out of an entire box would end up leading to this sort of ransacking. I wonder if at the end of it all, do these people pay for the ones they found and wanted or do they just stuff em' into their pockets and walk out the store? I'll admit the whole mystery figure bag frustrated me in the beginning, but I never would have stolen or tore up the packet in store. That's just wrong.

Oh. My mistake.

Having more desirable characters as the 'rares' that are either a 1 or 2 out of an entire box would end up leading to this sort of ransacking. I wonder if at the end of it all, do these people pay for the ones they found and wanted or do they just stuff em' into their pockets and walk out the store? I'll admit the whole mystery figure bag frustrated me in the beginning, but I never would have stolen or tore up the packet in store. That's just wrong.

I have wondered something similar. In my case there is nothing more infuriating than making a mistake when felling the packets and getting home to find that out after paying $5 a fig. I bought four sealed boxes and have been trying to get the excess figs needed to make 12 sets out of it, but it has been a pain. I would never open a pack or tear one up (or write on them what the fig is). The open packs still had the knight figs in at least though I didn't check to see all the pieces. With the Mr Gold figs, and 6 minifigs only having 2 copies per sealed box, unfortunately I think we will see this behaviour a lot more often.

So my wife was at the store today and saw that they had the series 10 minifigs so she bought me a handful knowing that I would do the same. As luck would have it one of the packages contain the "elusive" Mr Gold. My question is what do I do with it? While I do collect the mini figures I am not that OCD and dont need this in my collection, I would rather have the cash. So I do sell it now? Do I hold on to it? What would you do in my shoes? EDIT: So I posted on my Facebook wall that I found Mr Gold. One of my friends from high school whom I have not talked to in five years offered me $1,000 for it. I jumped and he just came to my house to get it. I think this is the best quick flip, and I avoided ebay and paypal fees.

that's awesome! congrats! i would sell now, reason being that not many have been found yet and offered for sale. right now they are hot, hot, hot with very little supply available. as more get discovered more will be offered for sale, which might lower the potential value. start the auction at the level you would be happy with and watch it lift off from there. keep us posted on how you do if you decide to sell! also, where abouts are you located? just curious as to where this one ended up at and where it was purchased.

He was found at a Meijer (like a walmart but better) in northwest Ohio. This particular Meijer has the tendency to put things out before release dates all the time. I often buy movies and video games there a week before actual release and then sell for a markup on eBay. People are willing to pay way over retail just to get something a little early. (but we all know this already)

He was found at a Meijer (like a walmart but better) in northwest Ohio. This particular Meijer has the tendency to put things out before release dates all the time. I often buy movies and video games there a week before actual release and then sell for a markup on eBay. People are willing to pay way over retail just to get something a little early. (but we all know this already)

which is exactly why i would sell it now! but that's just my opinion...whatever you do with it, i am sure you will be happy with your decision.

one example from my personal experience from when i was a teenager that is kind of related to this...1989 pro set football cards. there was an error card (#47, william perry) that was in extreme short supply and was released by accident. i got one in a wax pack for 89 cents. the guy at the card shop offered me $120 on the spot. wasn't graded or anything (we didnt have to get our cards graded back then to be worth anything, but that's another story). i turned him down thinking the value would go up. wrong. today that same card is worth about $5 if that. i am not saying that mr gold would ever tank like that, but the point i am making is that when the demand and hype is high and supply is short that is the best time to sell. through the years the supply stayed the same, but the demand and hype cooled quite a bit, thus resulting in my $120 error card now being worth almost nothing.

Sell sell sell sell sell. Auction that bad boy off before others become available. As I am in sales I can attest to the number one sales motivator in existence.... FEAR OF LOSS! That's why sales end in a week, Black Friday & Early bird specials work so well, that's why they give out free boble heads to the first 1000 people into a baseball game etc........ Sell it now, while the hype is good. And people "fear they may miss" this opportunity to get it at whatever prices they are going for now.

Sell sell sell sell sell.

Auction that bad boy off before others become available.

As I am in sales I can attest to the number one sales motivator in existence....

FEAR OF LOSS!

That's why sales end in a week, Black Friday & Early bird specials work so well, that's why they give out free boble heads to the first 1000 people into a baseball game etc........

Sell it now, while the hype is good. And people "fear they may miss" this opportunity to get it at whatever prices they are going for now.

For that matter, that's why Jabba's Palace went through the roof. People "feared they miss lose" out on JP = crazy high demand.

that's awesome! congrats! i would sell now, reason being that not many have been found yet and offered for sale. right now they are hot, hot, hot with very little supply available. as more get discovered more will be offered for sale, which might lower the potential value. start the auction at the level you would be happy with and watch it lift off from there. keep us posted on how you do if you decide to sell!

also, where abouts are you located? just curious as to where this one ended up at and where it was purchased.

+1 to this if you need the money now. Once series 10 is officially released, at least 3,000 of the other Mr. Golds are going to end up listed on Ebay and the supply is going to temporarily drive the price back down a bit. Once they are all sold it may go back up to what it was or more, but now id your best chance to sell unless you want to wait a few years.

On a side note, I'm starting to get jealous of all this Mr. Gold stuff. Not so much that people are finding them, but I'm getting upset that I can't even purchase series 10 at all.

As much as I would like to have one myself, I would more than likely sell it. Hell, I would sell it and put that money towards an used 10179 lol. Sell it now while there are not that many out there and you will probably be able to buy one later for a lower price than that if you want. Maybe not much lower but who knows!