• United Kingdom
    • Ireland
    • Africa
    • Asia
    • Japan
    • Australia
    • New Zealand
    • Antarctica

I'm also very new to the site. I'm in Raleigh/Durham area (NC - USA). I'm a newly formed AFOL in my early 30's and I have re-discovered my love for Lego from my childhood. Mom and Dad are also really into it and thankfully, they were smart enough to save all my sets from when I was a kid. Castle, Space Police, I'm almost positive we have an 80's something space guy with the same broken helmet piece as well.

My wife has reluctantly tolerated my newly rediscovered love for Lego and I'm hoping I can pass the hobby down to our children, the first (a baby girl) is due in May.

As for investing, I've been on a bit o

f a budget planning for the baby, so currently I've been buying myself the sets I want with the money I can allocate to it, but I've given a lot of thought to trying to invest in Lego only to the extent that I can use it mainly to fund my own purchases. I'm curious if anyone else does this or has some tips for me?

Thanks and I'm looking forward to being a part of the community here!

Sent from my iPhone using Brickpicker

I'm 31, and can't believe that time has passed by so quickly.  

The good news (to me) is that I've managed to retain a good amount of youthful energy.  The bad news is that my body ain't what it used to be, meaning there are days when a one-lunged 70-year old woman could outpace me in a walking contest.  Eh, the energy, it comes and goes...

Anyway, I'm fairly new to the Lego scene. Truth be told, I haven't played with a Lego set since I was in the 10th grade, which was half a freakin' lifetime ago!  Since then, I've been on a proverbial Lego blackout, purposeful trips to the toy isles not withstanding. 

So I suppose you could say that 2014 marks my (triumphant?) return to Lego. The thing is, I'm not sure if I'm cut out for investing. I like the stuff that I've purchased so far.  Besides, I know how I work.  Unless my 'investments' shoot way up in value within the next year or so, I'll probably say "eff it" and open em' up. The only thing saving my butt right now is the fact that I have nowhere to display most of these sets.  Oh well. I've been 'getting my fix' by enjoying some cute cheapy sets. Sets like the Easter Bunny, the baby Emerald train set, select mini-figs, and even the...   *looks left, then looks right*...  mixels.   *disappears before judgement can be cast!*

• 2 weeks later...

I'm a 32 year old guy I think I got out of my dark ages back in 2007. I think the main reason behind that is because I had more disposable income and could get back in touch with a childhood hobby. Now I get to develop a real collection for my son and do a fair amount of investing on the side. It's interesting to see how a younger investors can take advantage of all the information and collected knowledge out there. It's nice to get different perspectives when it comes to gauging a set or themes popularity. Great subject choice!

I have a similar back ground. At 30 years old I came out of the dark ages in 2011. I started buying legos for my little boy before he turned one. Knowing legos aren't good for infants I kept them in boxes for his 5th birthday. I really enjoy legos and wanted to invest in Lego stock but the company isn't public. Low and behold, while doing that research I stumbled upon Brickpicker. After finding the increased value of some of the sets a new thought occured to me. My little boys 5th special day is quickly approaching and his exposure to legos thus far has been grand. So, I have decided to give him an option. Open them then or sell them for what ever else he might want.

I'm expecting cardboard shrapnel... 

• Like 1

I'm also very new to the site. I'm in Raleigh/Durham area (NC - USA). I'm a newly formed AFOL in my early 30's and I have re-discovered my love for Lego from my childhood. Mom and Dad are also really into it and thankfully, they were smart enough to save all my sets from when I was a kid. Castle, Space Police, I'm almost positive we have an 80's something space guy with the same broken helmet piece as well.

My wife has reluctantly tolerated my newly rediscovered love for Lego and I'm hoping I can pass the hobby down to our children, the first (a baby girl) is due in May.

As for investing, I've been on a bit o

f a budget planning for the baby, so currently I've been buying myself the sets I want with the money I can allocate to it, but I've given a lot of thought to trying to invest in Lego only to the extent that I can use it mainly to fund my own purchases. I'm curious if anyone else does this or has some tips for me?

Thanks and I'm looking forward to being a part of the community here!

I only buy the sets that I really think I and my son might enjoy. Sets related to my work history, other hobbies, my sons interests etc. I'll keep them in boxes for a while with dreams of where they might go in my little lego city. If the set value skyrockets I'll part with it, but if it tanks, crocodile tears.

I am 21 years old. I actually got married last year and a baby boy came in March. Obviously spending and investing is not easy right now, but boy do I still love my LEGO!

Remember those ego waffle commercials? Was anyone else yelling lego my legos at younger siblings around that time?

Hi everyone,

first post in this forum - so let me quickly introduce my self. I am writing from Switzerland (Europe) and I am 32 years old.

I am happy to have found this amazing website - both for collectors or investors.

I bought my first Lego set (75039 Millenium Falcon) after 15 years of dark age... and realized I missed an awful amount of good sets :twitch:

See you around!

I'm currently in North Carolina but have been to more than 20 countries in the last 7 years thanks to the Marine Corps. I was just medically retired and decided to start collecting something to keep myself busy so here I am!

HHUUWWAAHHH.. and  Semper Fi....  Army myself, but my 4 years of MC ROTC are still clear as if the were yesterday... (they were 92-96..lol) Where did the time go?

I'm new to the forum too..

I added to the main post a little note for all new members that reads as thus.

Note for new members:

You can already earn a couple of User Awards just by simply replying to this thread but these will be given only at your personal discretion.

If you are comfortable with letting others know, we have a "Mr. Brick" award for the gentlemen and a "Ms. Brick" for the ladies. For the youngsters (14 or younger) there is the "Brick Brat" award while the old farts (who were around to collect sets in the 60s/70s) can get "The Geezer".

These are not mandatory at all as we respect everyone's right to their own privacy. They are only meant to be fun icons to help establish the kind of person you are here on BrickPicker. If you do not ask for it, we (Admins/Mods) will not force one of the aforementioned awards onto your profile. Now as for all the other Member Awards, they can be earned by participation around the forums or on the site in general through a number of ways and will be given when it seems that you have done enough for a particular merit.

My advice for anyone wanting to know what the best way to earn an award is basically by being helpful and courteous to other members.

In other words, if you would like a Mr./Ms. Brick and/or Brick Brat/The Geezer award then politely ask for it here. Those are the only awards we will give on request. As I said, all others must be earned through various contributions on the site.

• Like 2

Well, I guess you could call me a child, but I do invest quite a bit of money in LEGO, and it even helped me get my first car! :D

I'm 15, it all started with the Mos Eisley Cantina set. Still have it to this day (Technically started with Duplo Bob The Builder and Winnie the Pooh, but I'm talking about regular system). I am also a male, love MOC building and videogames. My latest project is motorizing the Ghost Train set, added a tinderbox and enlarged the jail cell to be a passenager car. Need to get in the PF and magenectic cufflings, aswell as track! Don't actually own a train yet!

I'm from Ohio, but currently live in Southern Florida. Hardly any good deals, but did find the new Gatehouse Raid set at WM for 21.

Hi, im 27 male from Puerto Rico i think localy are not so many people investing in lego because every time i go to retailer there are so much lego in stores with disccount and everything. Thats a plus but the mrsp is a little high here in the island than in US! Im just starting so hi everyone!!!

I'm 35, but I voted 36 since I'm half-way there. As for now, just a collector/investor. I have a 2.5 year old son, and another baby boy on the way. So at some point in the future, I'm sure I'll be buying for them. I've already bought some Duplo. Little man loves his train!

Of course, my good stuff will be stored upstairs and untouchable marked as daddy's toys :)

Also, I'm in Tennessee, but I didn't see any neighbors here from my searches.