• Ireland
    • Africa
    • Asia
    • Japan
    • Australia
    • New Zealand
    • Antarctica

Guest eightbrick

I live in Africa, but my mother-in-law is inventorying and storying my lego sets in the USA.

That's a good idea. Lego is so cheap in the US compared to everywhere else in the world.

• 2 weeks later...

Melbourne, Australia for me. And I get very sad when seeing some of the great deals available to our American friends...even the retail prices  there. And to have a Lego store to be able to visit...how nice (and dangerous!) that would be.

[On a side note: on my last trip to the US, I managed to squeeze a Death Star into my luggage and bring home! At that time, we had a strong Aussie dollar, so I pretty much got it at $400 AUD. Too good to pass up.]

• Like 1

Melbourne, Australia for me. And I get very sad when seeing some of the great deals available to our American friends...even the retail prices  there. And to have a Lego store to be able to visit...how nice (and dangerous!) that would be.

[On a side note: on my last trip to the US, I managed to squeeze a Death Star into my luggage and bring home! At that time, we had a strong Aussie dollar, so I pretty much got it at $400 AUD. Too good to pass up.]

Great stuff - that is pretty much exactly what my wife was able to do when she was in the States earlier this year!  And I wholeheartedly agree - Aussie prices are a bit of a scam; I highly doubt shipping has much to do with it, probably more that "the market will bear the price" :(

Great stuff - that is pretty much exactly what my wife was able to do when she was in the States earlier this year!  And I wholeheartedly agree - Aussie prices are a bit of a scam; I highly doubt shipping has much to do with it, probably more that "the market will bear the price" :(

Yeah - more like "those crazy guys down there will pay more, so let's charge them more"  :shifty:

I suppose having come from book collecting where most of the books are from US publishers, I've gotten used to paying more and factoring high shipping costs into my hobbies (or is that habits?).

Yeah - more like "those crazy guys down there will pay more, so let's charge them more"  :shifty:

I suppose having come from book collecting where most of the books are from US publishers, I've gotten used to paying more and factoring high shipping costs into my hobbies (or is that habits?).

Definitely habits  :whistle:  I gave up on Book collecting years ago when the local shops hit $20 for a paperback, then found Book Depositry a couple of years ago - awesome prices if you are prepared to wait for the inital print runs to finish.

I gave up on Book collecting years ago when the local shops hit $20 for a paperback, then found Book Depositry a couple of years ago - awesome prices if you are prepared to wait for the inital print runs to finish.

My book habit (OK, I admit it) lends itself towards small press publishing, doing collectible books than can range from $40 USD up to many hundreds of $$s. If I gave that up, well, I'd have serious cash for Lego! But I do use BD for 'regular' editions of books. Great place.

The good thing is those books will continue to gain value.  And I think it's wise to have more than one hobby, although I wish collecting and painting WH40K stuff wasn't so expensive...  I wonder what it would be like to have an inexpensive hobby??

Ha. I was very big into Wh40K and Fantasy Battle when I was younger. Still got a whole bunch of my FB undead army (which I am due to try and sell!) as well as Eldar and Tyranid WH40K. So I can very well appreciate your wish for a cheaper hobby as I know how much that stuff costs.

But we digress....sorry other Brick Pickers.  :hmm:

• 3 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

Hi everyone,

Recently turned 30. Will remember this bday as it was when I came out of my dark age. Been working a while and ran out of things to waste money on for presents. So being bored I decided to indulge on guilty pleasures and hit up the toy isle. Back to bricks!!! Had loads of classic sets IMO from late 80s early 90s. Had most of the pirate sets espeicially large ones. Visited parents to discover all my old lego had been thrown out:( Oh well sweet memories and a tonne of new lego awaits....

I am officially hooked on lego and some cheaper alternatives as well. I no longer feel guilty about my fascination with ABS bricks now that I have discovered how much others of a similar age dig this stuff too. I can't believe how much people are into the investment side...mindboggling.

Just wish I had a paying job back when set 10179 was around in 2007. Didn't realise you could get this in 2010? Love this set and want it badly...but not badly enough to cough up what is required.....3G is slighty insane haha

Im 15 Turning 16 in november 29th 

I collect direct exclusive/creator expert I have most of the exclusive set including all the modulars, eiffel tower and many more

Favourite set: Green Grocer

First Set: Eiffel Tower

Favourite set available: Pet Shop

:) most collectors between 20-40 Interesting. reading some of the comments it seems like people leave lego in their teens and return to it later in life so that could be the reason behind low numbers :/

• 2 weeks later...