Bricklink's AFOL Designer Program 2021

1 hour ago, Poncke said:

Arent they going to be reviewed and improved by Lego first before going to manufacturing? 

I asked this exact question because some of the past sets, I’m talking about you Mountain Windmill, had confusing instructions and/or unstable builds and they were “reviewed”, but supposedly Lego is taking a more active hands on approach with this round and going forward. 

With 30K of these coming out probably around 20K will go to resellers so not much room for growth on these high priced sets. The only ones to 3X so far are the 2 modulars, Lego Store and Construction Site, the train station goes for more but it costs $400 so hasn’t even 2X. 

None of these designs really excite me. The castle is neat, and would normally be my pick as a go-to investment set, but with the existence of the Lion Knight's Castle...perhaps not.

Personally, I will probably pick up the Old Train Engine Shed and Mountain Fortress to build. My wife likes the General Store.

I'm In for 2x Castles 2x train sheds and a western store. There has been a reemergence of castles lately but perhaps if/when the dust settles these will be coveted by castle fans. Good Train stuff is typically desirable, and I personally have always liked western theme. We Won't see gains like from original ADP round. There's not as much room for price growth on most of these rounds. It also IMO looks like They're just going to over do it with TOO many rounds   ROUND2 Train station yes, but the Logging train is in large part a trestle build so unsure about that one. it does run on system track and can be motorized. ROUND3 Harbor master office looks like a pretty solid idea should display nicely. Chocolate factory will fit a Christmas theme village and also looks like has a few interesting build techniques. Forest strong hold may be worth getting 2 as to "help" future castle fans get one years later. :) Lost city is one i had to think on. It's aesthetically pleasing and pairs with LOTR or even Indiana jones. I Missed LOTR the first go around and decided not not pursue them as i had to draw the line somewhere on themes. As amazing as Rivendell is and this lost city looks, I'll plan pass on this one as I have with Rivendell. so far. The rest just don't appeal to me that much but I've heard there are actually different opinions than mine. 

• Like 2

On 11/20/2023 at 6:35 PM, Billy Brick said:

Like the stronghold would be great for example if it had a redo of an old castle faction 

Doesn't get much better in terms of nostalgia than Black Falcons vs Forestmen.  I mean, if you were a fan of 6071, chances are The Stronghold would be a dream set. Price and space is another story however.  

image.png.c63f273d573359bc15127e729904bbfc.png

image.thumb.png.b12692af356792b99730a2258c2f23d0.png

• Like 2

• 3 weeks later...

He points out some good positives and negatives including the price. The designer is limited to 4K pieces so that is why the interior is basically barren as he went with max size over interior detail that can be added later.  There were around 30 build issues that Lego allegedly will fine tune unlike the Mountain Windmill which was a disaster build.

Edited by Pseudoty
  • Like 2

I was going to get 1 of these for my collection but now will definitely pass. 

https://jaysbrickblog.com/reviews/hands-on-with-the-lego-bricklink-designer-old-train-engine-shed/

https://www.brothers-brick.com/2024/02/02/bricklink-designer-program-series-1-snack-shack-divey-delicious-or-both-review/

Haven't seen the General Store review yet.

Edited by Pseudoty
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, Pseudoty said:

He points out some good positives and negatives including the price:

Thanks for posting. Bummer that the interior is so basic, but the exterior looks great and that's how I will display it anyway. Price is a bit high but not unexpected due to then precedent of the other Designer sets.

I don't usually watch his videos, or other review videos for that matter, but I was surprised by the open discussion of picking up a second copy as an investment by someone who seems to be part of the official LEGO review network, I just sort of assumed that was frowned upon. But again, I don't watch, so maybe this is normal...

• Like 1

On 2/2/2024 at 8:26 AM, Pseudoty said:

He points out some good positives and negatives including the price. The designer is limited to 4K pieces so that is why the interior is basically barren as he went with max size over interior detail that can be added later.  There were around 30 build issues that Lego allegedly will fine tune unlike the Mountain Windmill which was a disaster build.

Where my Castle fans at? Getting stoked as we approach the 24hr mark!

• Like 4

3 hours ago, Captain_Obvious said:

It would be nice to hear from Lego that they will review the builds and revise them to bring them up to normal set production standards like they do with the ideas sets. The older waves like Castle in the Forest did not have the Lego logo on the box but the next wave did and there are still build issues. For $400 we should be getting a top quality set with a structurally sound build and high end minifigures, but unfortunately that is not the case. 

We are paying almost $0.10 PP for these sets that come in generic flimsy warped boxes, mismatched minifigures,  and without instructions, at least the build could be structurally sound. We should expect more from Lego at these prices, but yes to answer your question I will be buying the castle tomorrow for personal to build.

I think these all have a strong potential to flop as an investment with the increased production number to 30K and the limit of 2, or perhaps I am way off as usual I just don't know. 

• Like 2

50 minutes ago, Pseudoty said:

It would be nice to hear from Lego that they will review the builds and revise them to bring them up to normal set production standards like they do with the ideas sets. The older waves like Castle in the Forest did not have the Lego logo on the box but the next wave did and there are still build issues. For $400 we should be getting a top quality set with a structurally sound build and high end minifigures, but unfortunately that is not the case. 

We are paying almost $0.10 PP for these sets that come in generic flimsy warped boxes, mismatched minifigures,  and without instructions, at least the build could be structurally sound. We should expect more from Lego at these prices, but yes to answer your question I will be buying the castle tomorrow for personal to build.

I think these all have a strong potential to flop as an investment with the increased production number to 30K and the limit of 2, or perhaps I am way off as usual I just don't know. 

Definitely a personal purchase for me too. Now, it’s not a guarantee that they produce 30k unless they get 30k orders, and the ability to order does stop at some date. 

Based on the temp of investors on here, I don’t see this getting sold out by them especially at that price. If that’s true, there will be a limited number produced which may work out in our favor if we decide to sell in the future. 

I’m building to play with it and foresee myself getting all my money back if I decide to sell it used in the future 🤞,  but that is a stretch given the price.

• Like 1

12 minutes ago, Bricklectic said:

Agreed. Flop city. limit 2 means end user gets what they need. 30k may not even sell out.

I insta sold 4 Castle in the forest Ebay GSP, you probably Pre-Sold yours,  because that round was only open to select countries not including China. Last round went super fast because although limit was increased from 10K to 20K China and many other countries were added. So 30K and even more countries with limit 2 will be interesting to see how long the castle lasts but no matter what half to 2/3 will be in the hands of resellers. Pretty bad when even LAN is promoting this as a reselling opportunity.

3 minutes ago, Captain_Obvious said:

Now, it’s not a guarantee that they produce 30k unless they get 30k orders

Was not aware of this. 

• Like 1

8 minutes ago, eliminator said:

Does anyone know if it's possible to change the shipping address before these are shipped out in July? There's a good chance I will be moving this summer...

Its Lego so you probably should just have to call to update the address same as with any order.

• Like 1

On 2/2/2024 at 8:26 AM, Pseudoty said:

He points out some good positives and negatives 

Maybe if I get this one, I will actuallly build the Lions Castle😋

I don’t mind the blank interior and thought the queens tower is pretty cool.  It is a big difference when you look at them next to each other.  IMG_3157.thumb.png.cebf7797992ee0e50274187df00b629b.png

Speaking side by side, this shot is 😍🏰🔥

IMG_3155.thumb.png.dba5e597299c491f4b52a166c1f1a951.png

12 hours ago, Captain_Obvious said:

😲😬

IMG_3154.thumb.png.d94aa81d2c009fffc815a6bfec491839.png

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

3 hours ago, eliminator said:

Does anyone know if it's possible to change the shipping address before these are shipped out in July? There's a good chance I will be moving this summer...

Yes.  I did exactly that during a previous round, but it did take a phone call to update the delivery address. 

10 hours ago, Pseudoty said:

Was not aware of this. 

Well, I’m stretching a little. It does say “up to” 30k, so it’s a gray area. We know 3k is not gray —if it doesn’t get 3k orders it’s not being made. 

Can you see the order total after it passes 3k? Pretty sure we can see the tally before it hits 3k, but not sure after on the product page. If we can see past 3k, and the order total hovers around 12k—that may motivate a race to the top as resellers want to get into a low production only to drive the FOMO till it sells out at 30k.

A lot of big “what-ifs” above 🫣

IMG_1149.thumb.jpeg.8ad626fd06b558b6a4dae2c7321010ff.jpeg

Edited by Captain_Obvious
  • Like 1

9 hours ago, Captain_Obvious said:

Well, I’m stretching a little. It does say “up to” 30k, so it’s a gray area. We know 3k is not gray —if it doesn’t get 3k orders it’s not being made. 

Can you see the order total after it passes 3k? Pretty sure we can see the tally before it hits 3k, but not sure after on the product page. If we can see past 3k, and the order total hovers around 12k—that may motivate a race to the top as resellers want to get into a low production only to drive the FOMO till it sells out at 30k.

A lot of big “what-ifs” above 🫣

IMG_1149.thumb.jpeg.8ad626fd06b558b6a4dae2c7321010ff.jpeg

Interesting, yes there was a counter, funded to sold out the last few times. So as a reseller you want to buy the one that reaches 3,002.

Don't know if CB site will work, you would have to add the item to your cart from BL, close out Lego then relaunch from CB site, and order is not processed until July.