Bricklink's AFOL Designer Program 2021

1 hour ago, Shortbus311 said:

I have never had any issues arriving to Virginia from IL. I would guess that it is your local UPS distro site that is sitting on your boxes during their coffee breaks.

Very well could be.  I've seen the backs of their trucks plenty of times where it looks like clothes in a washing machine.  It's impressively bad.

The original round seems to be getting a boost With the release of this final round.  In the days on or around the arrival of my Winter chalet, Construction  modular, and Studgate I've sold off my last skyline express, my personal collection 8 studs, and all but 1 Western Saloon.   Wish I'd bought more of all of these!

• 4 weeks later...
17 minutes ago, Pseudoty said:

I was going to buy the Winter Chalet off of eBay for $350 to build but watched 2 reviews and reportedly not a good building experience and the finished product is not stable.

Anyone build this one yet?

Haven't built it but I have one I can sell for $340 :) 

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

My .02 on Bricklink Builds:

I built the Sheriff's safe from Bricklink and the experience was about 90% of what I would expect out of a fully "Productionalized" set. 

I have the Mountain Windmill (That I may be willing to part with, HA HA!), and looking at the images, I'm guessing that it will be a bit of a suspect build process. Also in my backlog are the LEGO store AND Venetian House from Bricklink. 

*** Caveat *** I think these builds are innovative and would find themselves hard-pressed to fall in line with LEGO's (Not pluralizing LEGO, using the possessive form here) standard annual line-up. And this is the trade-off to the non-optimal building process. 

Also . . . I have had some building experiences with LEGO official sets which were less than 90%. 

image.thumb.png.22d4638802baeffdff6ee0298465636b.png

• Like 2

On 4/18/2023 at 2:57 PM, Greanie said:

My .02 on Bricklink Builds:

I built the Sheriff's safe from Bricklink and the experience was about 90% of what I would expect out of a fully "Productionalized" set. 

I have the Mountain Windmill (That I may be willing to part with, HA HA!), and looking at the images, I'm guessing that it will be a bit of a suspect build process. Also in my backlog are the LEGO store AND Venetian House from Bricklink. 

*** Caveat *** I think these builds are innovative and would find themselves hard-pressed to fall in line with LEGO's (Not pluralizing LEGO, using the possessive form here) standard annual line-up. And this is the trade-off to the non-optimal building process. 

Also . . . I have had some building experiences with LEGO official sets which were less than 90%. 

image.thumb.png.22d4638802baeffdff6ee0298465636b.png

I personally really enjoyed the Windmill. Mine was crushed in the car, so it got built. It’s actually my wife’s favorite set.

• Like 1

• 3 weeks later...
46 minutes ago, Shortbus311 said:

Yep, disappointed that the cathedral wasn't selected. Parisian Street will probably be the only one I get for investment.

Be honest, we all know how disappointed you were the cell phone holder wasn’t selected.✌️😝

IMG_2423.jpeg.a2acb2c899df73a7a1d1baeea62c22af.jpeg

If this was an improved version, just think how hideous the previous version was.🥴

• Haha 2

Be honest, we all know how disappointed you were the cell phone holder wasn’t selected.
http://bp-forum.s3.amazonaws.com/monthly_2023_05/IMG_2423.jpeg.a2acb2c899df73a7a1d1baeea62c22af.jpeg
If this was an improved version, just think how hideous the previous version was.
Lol... yeah, there were some very bad submissions.
  • Like 1

• 5 weeks later...

The next round of voting opened up. I  just skimmed through the 8 pages of submissions, some of which are carryovers from the previous round, and nothing is that impressive except maybe this ship:

https://www.bricklink.com/v3/designer-program/series-2/799/Imperial-Ship---Vengeance

With all of the great sets lego has out and/or that are coming out most of these pale in comparison.

I was at the Lego Store yesterday and the Pac-Man and Bat Box sets were out on display and neither was that impressive. The Bat Box was full of fingerprints so it looked a mess and is stuck somewhere between play and display set, definitely not dropping $400 on it. They also had Ninjago Markets out and it looks too open and empty as a stand alone set. It is a lot of pieces but spread across 2 Modular sized base plates. I also did not like all of the unfinished Grey showing from the plates.   If you have Ninjago City and  Gardens to bookend it than no issue as it will help open the display up. 

• Like 1

• 4 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...
18 hours ago, $20 on joe vs dan said:

I just checked how Ebay prices on that last round of buildings...

Has someone cracked the code on which ones do well versus others?

Also is it generally time to sell or are folks seeing much higher gains potential?

Which ones are doing well I haven’t been keeping up with these? I missed out on the last round Chalet, Observatory and Venetian all looked good and was going to pick them up from BL but the build reviews for the Chalet were really poor and with all of the sets coming out 9/1 just no time to build these. 

Supposedly this years Winter Village set will look similar to the Chalet and that has me wondering if Lego will ever do the Lego Store Modular. 

44 minutes ago, Pseudoty said:

Which ones are doing well I haven’t been keeping up with these? I missed out on the last round Chalet, Observatory and Venetian all looked good and was going to pick them up from BL but the build reviews for the Chalet were really poor and with all of the sets coming out 9/1 just no time to build these. 

Supposedly this years Winter Village set will look similar to the Chalet and that has me wondering if Lego will ever do the Lego Store Modular. 

Looks like the Lego Store, Castle in the Forest, and Observatory are doing pretty well. I also bought the 1950s Diner, but it's less than doubled at this point.

• Like 2

hard to decide when to sell... I sold the original Castle (Lowenstein) when it doubled ... a year later it doubles again ...recently sold on ebay for almost $1k 

One of the rare instances where I didn’t mind buying at that first “double” haha, I missed it originally and had to bite the bullet

Same thing happened with that Sony exclusive pandemic Miles Morales figure. I ponied up and bought at $500. Stupid decision then, smart decision now looking at them

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk