9515 - Malevolence

stackables

I just picked a couple of these up on clearance at Target for $67.19.  I can flip these or hold.  I'm leaning toward holding them, so please let me know your opinion on holding.

Well its Grievous inside... always worth alot to me to hold! and for 67$ its a no brainer lol

Well its Grievous inside... always worth alot to me to hold! and for 67$ its a no brainer lol

I didn't realize the Grievous minifig was popular...interesting.  The only reason I would consider flipping is if this set doesn't have much upside after EOL.  If it doesn't move after retirement, I just wasted a bunch of time waiting for it. 

Thanks for the advice, though.  I'm leaning toward holding it for now...

I didn't realize the Grievous minifig was popular...interesting.  The only reason I would consider flipping is if this set doesn't have much upside after EOL.  If it doesn't move after retirement, I just wasted a bunch of time waiting for it. 

I would hold it. It might move higher after EOL.

Well I am still trying to catch a ''cheap'' grievous ...

Cheap as not paying more than 20$ including shipping, but that seems mission impossible as cheapest I seen in the last 2-3 months was like 27$+ shipping which is usually 6$ from US...

He is very popular, just look at the prices from his last ship going EOL. Also doesn't hurt that it is a great looking minifig!

• 3 weeks later...

I think it was because the count dooku in the set was pretty ugly and the set was boring. If you want to invest in a set and sell it at such a price, only to bring disappointment into a child's heart I would recommend getting Jabba's Palace instead because it has better figs and is a much better set in general. The Malevolence is very small for 1100 pieces, and is definitely much smaller than what it should be compared to the show. The figs are dull (except for Grievous but he's available in much smaller sets) and other than the missile function, the rest of the features are very drab. Hope this helps. If kids would want to get a set for count dooku they would get duel on geonosis, the Count Dooku in that set looks much better imo.

I don't disagree with most of this. The key thing though, is this set simply sells. This Grievous is only available in one other discontinued set (which looking upon BP does seem rather cheap) but for some reason it seems this set can be an easy flip.

I don't disagree with most of this. The key thing though, is this set simply sells. This Grievous is only available in one other discontinued set (which looking upon BP does seem rather cheap) but for some reason it seems this set can be an easy flip.

The Grievous will be 100% available in the new upcoming set of Grievous wheel bike so that makes this set waste of purchase for anything but 40% discount or higher! Grievous was the key driving this set and now its gone.

The Grievous will be 100% available in the new upcoming set of Grievous wheel bike so that makes this set waste of purchase for anything but 40% discount or higher! Grievous was the key driving this set and now its gone.

I agree, but it seems that this set still manages to sell despite the Grievous minifig being in the Starfighter set. Even with Grievous being in the wheel bike and assuming they don't change his look at all, people will keep buying this set.

I agree, but it seems that this set still manages to sell despite the Grievous minifig being in the Starfighter set. Even with Grievous being in the wheel bike and assuming they don't change his look at all, people will keep buying this set.

The question is will this set ever (in reasonable time) surpass retail price?

I doubt so...

Count Dooku is released now with the duel and Grievous coming out (as said before) so whats left in this set... sure the ship itself is ok but its not well known and I think it will take years for this set to reach retail value.

That I am not too sure about. I know for a fact I can flip it here at full retail price which I find really strange. I can't explain it.

Other than GG I don't think there is a redeeming feature of the set. The Dooku was available in this set, the Solar Sailor and as a minifigure on the magnet set and is the Clone Wars variation anyway. The Padme fig is outright horrible. CW Anakin is easily available and the droids are just plain enough.

That I am not too sure about. I know for a fact I can flip it here at full retail price which I find really strange. I can't explain it.

Other than GG I don't think there is a redeeming feature of the set. The Dooku was available in this set, the Solar Sailor and as a minifigure on the magnet set and is the Clone Wars variation anyway. The Padme fig is outright horrible. CW Anakin is easily available and the droids are just plain enough.

But wait, this set has the "exclusive" droid commander fig!!!  ;)

• 3 months later...

So out of no where I get a gift from my colleagues - A 9515 Malevolence.

Thinking whether to

a. keep it since I don't have any in my collection.

b. trade it in (have gift receipt) and get something else that might retire soon and make a higher return.

they ended up paying $120 for it.

That 120$ could be reinvested much better... but it comes down to whether or not you want it in your collection (you can find cheaper) and whether or not those who gave it to you are ever going to see it.

I doubt it they care. Because they gave me a gift receipt. But that got me thinking of ALL the SW sets... why the Malevolence.

i checked sold listing on Ebay and they are going for $100-$115. so not much incentive to buy another one. Might trade it and get some other sets with Price Match.

• 4 months later...

I'm pretty sure that these three sets are gone or are going to be retired soon. They are all sold out on Lego.com because of the May the 4th promotion, can't be found in any retail stores including Lego, and the sets are nearly 2 years old. Target.com and TRU.com have them listed above msrp.

I'm pretty sure that these three sets are gone or are going to be retired soon. They are all sold out on Lego.com because of the May the 4th promotion, can't be found in any retail stores including Lego, and the sets are nearly 2 years old. Target.com and TRU.com have them listed above msrp.

I was shorted a Skiff in my order from last week. I contacted CS and the couldn't send a replacement because they were not expecting to get anymore. I think it's done and only the existing supply is out there.

Sent from my iPad using Brickpicker