9515 - Malevolence

stackables

Have never felt that comfortable with this set. I guess I'm just not that keen on non-movie SW sets. I saw limited stock sit on local shelves for a long time which has out me off a bit. Maybe it will do ok, like average CAGR for the theme or something, but I just can't back it being a huge winner.

Have never felt that comfortable with this set. I guess I'm just not that keen on non-movie SW sets. I saw limited stock sit on local shelves for a long time which has out me off a bit. Maybe it will do ok, like average CAGR for the theme or something, but I just can't back it being a huge winner.

I think the only thing saving this set is the Grievous minifig. The hyped Padme minifig is terrible, and this set would be doing even worse if it didn't have Grievous. It may be enough to keep it moving for the long term.

I just have a feeling Clones Wars sets will be desired only by a niche secondary market. Of the many Star Wars fans I know (personally and online), not many even cared to watch the recently canceled show. Probably because it was associated with episodes 1 and 2. If you like this set, buy, build, and enjoy,

I feel the same.......I just can't seem to get into these types of SW sets. IMO I don't think they will do that great from an invesment standpoint because I feel there's a lot of other poeple out there that feel the same way we do. I could be wrong though.

Note that at Walmart, they have changed the shelf price on this down to $95.96 at all of the stores I have been to. If you want one, I would wait for it to go on clearance there - guessing stores will mark it down further based on that price. I picked one up for $80 a few months back like some others in this thread. Seems like it shouldn't have any trouble doubling long term IMO but I don't expect it to be a BIG gainer. 1000+ pc count, Grievous figure, etc, make it pretty safe at the right price I think. Not going to be stocking up on a ton though.

• 3 months later...

So I don't really see anyone taking about this set but it's down to $93 at walmart and I just passed on a chance at $82 on eBay. Is this set underwhelming because of the lack of minifigs or what? It does have Grievous and Dooku. What kind of timeline are we looking at for EOL?

Yeah at 30% or more you will be OK IMO. It really is a little known ship among non avid SW fans. For the longest time I thought it was the ship in the opening scene of episode 3 but i was quickly corrected by the avid SW fans here. I think its a large enough set it will do fine in the secondary market.

It very well could. It is one of the better Clone Wars sets. I just wonder how many have really been selling. They have been heavily discounted. But maybe that makes this a sleeper.

I think it's just ugly... But it does look like a fun build. If I found one for 85 w/ free shipping I'd buy it, build it, and sell it. It'll probably do okay after eol, i'd say 20% CAGR the first year.

Which would put the set at $140ish. Even at $85 after fees, you aren't making much money. I think one haunted house (the price of two of these) will do way better.

I like it more as a clearance buy - grab 10 at $60 and your in business.

I think that buying the Malevolence under $90 is a good deal. Not great, though it might be under MSRP. There have been other threads about this, but let me give you a brief overview. This is the first large-scale droid ship we have ever had in the SW theme, which makes it in many ways a pioneer. Whether it will succeed or depreciate, has not yet been determined because it is a first. 

I think this is a great set to "part out", because of the dirt cheap Price Per Piece ratio, and the fact that it is SW. People are all over listings that say Star Wars and have low prices and new in the same listing. I don't think you can lose on the parting out aspect of this set, though for investment, I don't think it will be a huge success, maybe going up to $175, or a little more.

http://community.brickpicker.com/topic/2869-amazoncom-sw-9515-malevolence-20-off/?hl=malevolence

This is one of a small handful of sets I was able to score for 50 bucks each from a guy on CL. For 50 it was a no-brainer, but I'm not sure how much higher I'd go. Maybe 65 or 70 tops. Grievous helps this set, but I have a hard time seeing anyone pay more than 100 for this after EOL. But maybe it will make a some kind of re-appearance somewhere that will fuel interest.

This is one of a small handful of sets I was able to score for 50 bucks each from a guy on CL. For 50 it was a no-brainer, but I'm not sure how much higher I'd go. Maybe 65 or 70 tops. Grievous helps this set, but I have a hard time seeing anyone pay more than 100 for this after EOL. But maybe it will make a some kind of re-appearance somewhere that will fuel interest.

Were they new? Thats pretty ridiculous for craigslist.

Were they new? Thats pretty ridiculous for craigslist.

There was only one malevolence, but yes it was new. I've talked about this CL guy before in another discussion where we all mentioned our "best deals", and most people thought he was probably stealing because of the low prices. I got about 6 or so different sets from him and all were 50 each - a vampyre castle, malevolence, helm's deep, ultrasonic raider, epic dragon battle, and a couple others. I haven't seen the guy post anything recently.