Quarantine Trends - LEGO Online Selling Prices

I don't have most of my sets listed, but my BL store for parts has been really pumping! I've sold more parts in the past 2 months that I did for the majority of last year. I was planning to hold off listing/selling sets again until after we get into our retail space, but who needs a retail space when you can make more online now!

On 4/6/2020 at 2:38 PM, bbr said:

That dude just sold >$15k in lego in less than a week after not selling anything for 6 months. With the prices he posted I'm betting it's a scam. No feedback received for any of the recently sold sets. Either a scam or somebody needed cash quick. I hope it's the latter.

Coming back to this...looks like a scam.  8 negative feedback in the last week.  All variants of "item never shipped"...

7 hours ago, sauromosis said:

Is there a thread where we can talk stocks and the economy? This headline perfectly captures the disconnect between the stock market and reality:

https://www.marketwatch.com/story/ford-warns-of-large-surprise-loss-and-revenue-miss-but-stock-surges-2020-04-17

Yeah but 4% of a $5 stock is $.20.  So a "surge" is all relative. 

What I find amazing is that every large set I can think of that retired this past December is performing extremely well already. Cloud City, UCS Y Wing, Carousel, Apocalypse burg, Ninjago City and Docks, Parisian Restaurant... All are already up to prices I wouldn't have expected to see until maybe 2021 holiday season. And all of these could be gotten for heavy discounts just months ago. Ebay prices for some of these have caught up to 3rd party Amazon and Walmart prices. I can't recall the last time the prices of so many sets were being held down by Amazon sellers instead of Ebay sellers.

• Like 2

You know, I thought you were all embellishing when I read this thread. Then I decided to put up some of my bigger sets for sale, just to test the waters. Started out slow, and then bam! Sale after sale. Question to some of you who have been selling from the beginning of quarantine to now: have you had issues with returns or fraud? I have always been fearful of that.

On 4/18/2020 at 4:37 AM, Shortbus311 said:

What I find amazing is that every large set I can think of that retired this past December is performing extremely well already. Cloud City, UCS Y Wing, Carousel, Apocalypse burg, Ninjago City and Docks, Parisian Restaurant... All are already up to prices I wouldn't have expected to see until maybe 2021 holiday season. And all of these could be gotten for heavy discounts just months ago.

Exactly my thoughts. The question now is: Hold or Sell? 

• Like 1

This price appreciation is bigger than 4th Q, so I'm pivoting to sell all my 4th Q stuff now. 

If the Chinese lego factory has been down since January, and the Mexico factory is closed, these prices could continue to rise.

Do we have any proof or data on how much Lego is producing right now?

39 minutes ago, sauromosis said:

This price appreciation is bigger than 4th Q, so I'm pivoting to sell all my 4th Q stuff now. 

Interesting - do you allocate batches to certain years of future sale?
Without wanting to derail this thread, I'd be really interested to hear more about this :) 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, DadsAFOL said:

b72f058f2fa9ca3c3cf23e422d579bd4.jpg
We had a big shipping day as well. The stimulus appears to be working!

1 hour ago, DadsAFOL said:

b72f058f2fa9ca3c3cf23e422d579bd4.jpg
We had a big shipping day as well. The stimulus appears to be working!

Do you all use PayPal to make your own shipping labels through USPS? I haven’t done that yet but it seems like an efficient way to do things. 

Second question, what happens if your estimate is off? Has anyone ever been called out by USPS? 

4 minutes ago, MotorCityMuscle said:

Do you all use PayPal to make your own shipping labels through USPS? I haven’t done that yet but it seems like an efficient way to do things. 

Second question, what happens if your estimate is off? Has anyone ever been called out by USPS? 

I have calculated the weight of some packages wrong and USPS charged me for the difference a couple of weeks after delivery. It was all automatic through paypal.

Edited by JoshB

Buy your shipping labels from PayPal or Ebay, they are cheaper than USPS retail.

Don't guess at the weight, buy a $20 package scale from Amazon and a tape measure to measure your box size.
  • Like 1

25 minutes ago, Shortbus311 said:

Buy your shipping labels from PayPal or Ebay, they are cheaper than USPS retail.

Don't guess at the weight, buy a $20 package scale from Amazon and a tape measure to measure your box size.

Thanks! I’ve never used PayPal to print shipping labels before. I’ll give it a go with my next shipment. 

1 hour ago, JoshB said:

I have calculated the weight of some packages wrong and USPS charged me for the difference a couple of weeks after delivery. It was all automatic through paypal.

Appreciate the insight. 

Edited by MotorCityMuscle

2 hours ago, MotorCityMuscle said:

You will end up overpaying or underpaying if you guess. USPS catches it most of the time, and will charge you the difference. Get a decent postal scale, and yes, shipping through eBay/ PayPal saves you a lot more money vs bringing it to usps, and saves you a ton of time.

5 hours ago, labfreak7 said:

You will end up overpaying or underpaying if you guess. USPS catches it most of the time, and will charge you the difference. Get a decent postal scale, and yes, shipping through eBay/ PayPal saves you a lot more money vs bringing it to usps, and saves you a ton of time.

For sure. I haven’t tried skirting the system. So far I’ve just used a bathroom scale to estimate shipping costs and then paid the actual at the post office. I’ve just never printed my own labels at home. 

assuming I should skip the bathroom scale and get a decent package scale. Any reccos? 

We use Endicia which gets you access to all USPS services with discounted rates including international. They also have optional insurance which is cheaper than USPS insurance and less of a hassle if you have to file a claim. And yes we also use a shipping scale. You can find one for ~$20.
  • Like 1

3 hours ago, MotorCityMuscle said:

For sure. I haven’t tried skirting the system. So far I’ve just used a bathroom scale to estimate shipping costs and then paid the actual at the post office. I’ve just never printed my own labels at home. 

assuming I should skip the bathroom scale and get a decent package scale. Any reccos? 

Do this long enough and you can guess package weights down to the ounce... that's reseller-loser-druid, level 6. 

God mode is wrapping all your ToyCentric packages with the free eBay shipping tape.

• Like 3
  • Haha 2