COVID-19 / Coronavirus Discussion

CosmicSpeed

On 8/11/2021 at 3:56 PM, KvHulk said:

Maybe direct that to the single (two?) pop tarts that keep insulting others?

How do you know if anyone insulted you? I thought you said you don't read the stuff or do you? Weird. I guess we will never know. Take a chill pill, Hulk, green doesn't suit you.

PS: These discussions always lead to a dead end. Opinions differ. For some it's better to ignore obvious problems we face in this time & instead attack others over topics that should be discussed in order to protect their own well-being. That's totally OK, I'm fine with that. 

But to call someone a tinfoil nutjob twice & bring no arguments to the table, that's just lazy & doesn't suit this forum. And someone already pointed out that this is not a thread to discuss stuff, complain & move on.

Now expand that same analogy to how hydrogenated oil has been promoted to be safe for mass consumptions.  Who benefitted from it?  There have been mass manipulation going on in the food industry for very long time.  One just needs to step outside of their comfort zone and honestly ponders "what else are being manipulated by government and the big industry?" 

Bacon falls under the red meat category , which the WHO classifies as a group 1 carcinogen. Basically all processed or red meat increases your risk for certain types of colon cancer. Here’s the source study the WHO cited:

https://www.thelancet.com/journals/lanonc/article/PIIS1470-2045%2815%2900444-1/fulltext

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
  • Like 2

35 minutes ago, Mark Twain said:

Bacon falls under the red meat category , which the WHO classifies as a group 1 carcinogen. Basically all processed or red meat increases your risk for certain types of colon cancer. Here’s the source study the WHO cited:

https://www.thelancet.com/journals/lanonc/article/PIIS1470-2045%2815%2900444-1/fulltext

no need to cite a study saying bacon is bad for you...you're not getting any arguments: anything THAT good has to be bad you

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Mark Twain said:

I am not a big fan of these studies where the data was extracted by surveying large number of participants at 1 time and then just 1 follow up survey x years later.   I do not remember what I ate last week much less 3 years or 5 years ago.   A few of the studies quoted above basically just re-examined the results using same data pool.  Also missing was how the meat was cooked.  Was it sauteed in margarine or grilled with just salt and pepper?  Food preparation should be a factor.  You can eat broccoli everyday but if it is cooked in sticks of margarine, it is going to have some consequences in you. One of the studies in that link recommended further studies with smaller sample size and I would like to see those too.

30 minutes ago, KShine said:

Coffee is great (it's coffee!), and it's mostly good for you.

One of the studies above suggested coffee reduce the risk of cancer in women

A little amusing we moved from marijuana over to bacon. I guess the thread developed a case of the "munchies". Haha. Anywho I will admit bacon certainly had been a guilty pleasure especially when in a cheeseburger. I have not eaten much of the stuff for a long while now. Even then I grew up more on the turkey variety when it came to home cooking.

The "increased risk of colorectal cancer by 18% over a lifetime" statement by the International Agency for Research on Cancer sector of the World Health Organization has already been brought up. Chances are anyone would have a general idea there are health risks of varying degrees with any variety of foods consumed regularly and/or in excess. However the pork and beef industries have known since at least the 1970's the health risks of their product and has practically bullied the United States Department of Agriculture and the US Department of Health & Human Services into downplaying these risks.

Health concerns shouldn't be a surprise considering bacon is cut from the largest part of a pig, the belly, which is mainly fat. Especially in the 80's where America was going through an anti-fat fad, the pork board had difficulty trying to sell these cuts so leave it to the fast food industry to mass market a "bacon bonanza" by the following decade starting with Hardee's Friscoburger.

Random ranting aside, a bacon quarter-pound cheeseburger with ketchup, mustard, couple pickles, some bits of onion and a couple slices of mozzarella cheese in all its greasy glory sounds pretty darn good right about now.

6 hours ago, KShine said:

Coffee is great (it's coffee!), and it's mostly good for you.

I enjoyed a good cup of joe in the morning up until my body just couldn't handle the java anymore a long time ago. Still I do love the scent of hot coffee or even the unused beans in the bag. No particular favorite flavor really. And I do not know how to describe the smell of coffee. It's just nice.

• Like 2

To bring this full circle to addiction; when our first child was born, i didnt get a chance to get my daily cup of coffee. My wife gave birth and the family was in the room with my wife and the baby, meanwhile I was in the bathroom with the worst headache and nausea, throwing up because I was going through caffeine withdrawal. To this day, i cannot live that down. 

10 hours ago, TheOrcKing said:

The "increased risk of colorectal cancer by 18% over a lifetime" statement by the International Agency for Research on Cancer sector of the World Health Organization has already been brought up. Chances are anyone would have a general idea there are health risks of varying degrees with any variety of foods consumed regularly and/or in excess. However the pork and beef industries have known since at least the 1970's the health risks of their product and has practically bullied the United States Department of Agriculture and the US Department of Health & Human Services into downplaying these risks.

Then the WHO and/or US DAg+DHHS need to come up with better / more precise studies and data.  If an amateur like me can go through their research and point out the weaknesses of their studies, imagine what a multibillion dollar industry can do with their army or lawyers and doctors.  

The same World Health Organization that seems to think that it is a good idea to have a moratorium on booster shots. Because stopping the countries that are doing their best, in an effort to fight the virus (and are still losing, by the way) is really going to help.

The WHO is a sad, dangerous joke - they are a legitimate reason for people to consider denying true science.