COVID-19 / Coronavirus Discussion

CosmicSpeed

44 minutes ago, NIevo said:

Know what else would greatly increase air quality??  Kill off a few million/billion humans🙄  No kidding people not driving and factories being shut down would increase air quality.  Like the video stated overall deaths across the globe are actually down because we're not driving either.  I'm guessing that from your responses after all this you're going to be a changed man and give up driving a car, buying anything from China, drinking, smoking, buying online, selling online, or anything else that might involve a carbon footprint or vice that has a much higher chance of death then this virus?

Have no idea what you mean with him having no answers either.  Video wasn't supposed to have answers.  It's about common sense and why this whole thing is being completely blown out of proportion and being gone about all wrong.  Called opening your eyes and not believing everything the media, celebrities, WHO and Dr ican'tmakeupmymindwhichwayifeeltoday Fauci says.

I can't believe someone would say something as stupid as this, especially right now.  

What if this affected your family? 

8 minutes ago, Voltron86 said:

I can't believe someone would say something as stupid as this, especially right now.  

What if this affected your family? 

Sorta meant sarcastic but try and argue against it?  Hey, sorry if the truth hurts your feelings.  You can't have billions of creatures such as humans on a planet without there being consequences. Especially right now why?  Sorry but the current situation is so out of control batshit crazy it's stupid.  We kill millions a year in cars and abortions due to convenience and millions more from drinking and smoking yet get all bent out of shape and righteous all of a sudden for thousands?

And how do you know this hasn't affected my family?

Edited by NIevo

7 minutes ago, NIevo said:

Sorta meant sarcastic but try and argue against it?  Hey, sorry if the truth hurts your feelings.  You can't have billions of creatures such as humans on a planet without there being consequences. Especially right now why?  Sorry but the current situation is so out of control batshit crazy it's stupid.  We kill millions a year in cars and abortions due to convenience and millions more from drinking and smoking yet get all bent out of shape and righteous all of a sudden for thousands?

It’s already north of 100,000 with no peak or end in sight and would be far higher if we weren’t all freaking out. 

A novel virus with no immunity is  temporary and lethal threat. Those other things are not liable to infect/affect most of the population in a short period of time and are also largely the result of conscious lifestyle decisions whereas this virus doesn’t discriminate in who it infects. Apples and oranges

• Like 1

9 minutes ago, jeff_14 said:

It’s already north of 100,000 with no peak or end in sight and would be far higher if we weren’t all freaking out. 

A novel virus with no immunity is  temporary and lethal threat. Those other things are not liable to infect/affect most of the population in a short period of time and are also largely the result of conscious lifestyle decisions whereas this virus doesn’t discriminate in who it infects. Apples and oranges

And you'd be wrong almost across the board.

Currently more a socio-economic issue; what do folks think about over-population?

If anyone's read Dan Brown's Inferno, it captures the problem in a more dramatic way...but the reality is, for those of us w/ young kids (pre-teens or younger); it's their generation where two significant game changers are supposed to occur (that's never happened before): exhaustion of earth's petroleum reserves and over-population (world population hits 10 billion+)

When my boy hits middle age, these two things will basically re-shape life as we know it (I hope to have not survived the LEGO avalanche from the LEGO mountain I build well into my retirement...not the worse way to go)

1 hour ago, jeff_14 said:

And I wouldn’t be. Typical willful blindness 

And you would have typical entitled ignorance.

100,000 would still be thousands, not millions unless Canada has a different math system.  Even worse case models put it just over a million total deaths and every single model is being scaled down, some by almost 50%.  No peak or end in sight?  Every single report coming out is saying that it is nearing it peak or has plateaued and some even have it trending down.  Also, you can't say it's out of control with no end in sight, then state that it's temporary.

So your saying that somebody who's killed by a drunk driver, or someone speeding, or second hand smoking etc. doesn't effect the population or families?  It's not my conscious lifestyle decisions that someone else smokes around me or drives reckless.  Somebody is killed on the road or by a driver every 25 seconds around the world.  How is that not affecting a wide population across the globe?  It's not my fault that somebody fell asleep and crossed the divider any more then it's my fault someone sneezed on the handle of a cart at Walmart.

Only reason we don't make a big deal about the 8-9 million deaths from other things that could be prevented is because people are to selfish to do anything about it and it has just become accepted.  Which is why the complete stupid chaos this has caused for a relatively low death rate is borderline comical and borderline crazy.

57 minutes ago, Mathew said:

How so?  Do you have data that backs this? 

It doesn't even make sense, how would he have any data?

7 minutes ago, NIevo said:

And you would have typical entitled ignorance.

100,000 would still be thousands, not millions unless Canada has a different math system.  Even worse case models put it just over a million total deaths and every single model is being scaled down, some by almost 50%.  No peak or end in sight?  Every single report coming out is saying that it is nearing it peak or has plateaued and some even have it trending down.  Also, you can't say it's out of control with no end in sight, then state that it's temporary.

So your saying that somebody who's killed by a drunk driver, or someone speeding, or second hand smoking etc. doesn't effect the population or families?  It's not my conscious lifestyle decisions that someone else smokes around me or drives reckless.  Somebody is killed on the road or by a driver every 25 seconds around the world.  How is that not affecting a wide population across the globe?  It's not my fault that somebody fell asleep and crossed the divider any more then it's my fault someone sneezed on the handle of a cart at Walmart.

Only reason we don't make a big deal about the 8-9 million deaths from other things that could be prevented is because people are to selfish to do anything about it and it has just become accepted.  Which is why the complete stupid chaos this has caused for a relatively low death rate is borderline comical and borderline crazy.

It doesn't even make sense, how would he have any data?

The cars I rent allow me to pay a carbon offset. This isn’t hard. 

And no one refers to 100,000 as “thousands”. Usually people would have already upgraded to “tens of thousands” which you conveniently did not. Don’t worry, it will be 200,000 soon if that’s what you’re waiting for to say “hundreds of thousands”.

Where did I ever say those other things don’t have consequences? You’re just inventing straw men now. But that one drunk driver or cigarette smoker won’t be the cause of dozens or more fatalities the way one person walk into a nursing home could be. You’re welcome to your entitled wilful blindness but not your own facts. 

3 hours ago, NIevo said:

Kill off a few million/billion humans🙄      I'm guessing that from your responses after all this you're going to be a changed man and give up driving a car, buying anything from China, drinking, smoking, buying online, selling online, or anything else that might involve a carbon footprint or vice that has a much higher chance of death then this virus?

Yikes, calm down killer.  There are civil approaches toward all problems, even global issues. No need for talk of mass genocide, just very insensitive comment.  You can bet your a$$ my behavior has already drastically changed and will be permanently.  

3 hours ago, Mathew said:

So says a guy on a LEGO resellers forum 🤔

Indeed I did, captain Obvious.   I think everyone should be rethinking their behaviors.  How can you save  in everyday life?  

3 hours ago, $20 on joe vs dan said:

I think the bigger lesson from this is that even after a relatively short amount of time; noticeable improvements in the environment can be made. I think some folks have a fatalistic (it's too late) view on many of our personal and societal problems such as smoking and pollution...you could be a pack aday smoker for your whole life..stop today and start making real improvements in your lungs/health in a short time...never too late.

I'd agree. Its never to late to start.  For some, just changing their lifestyle is the hardest part, mentally. But thats what exactly most of us have been forced to do because of Covid-19. It isnt THAT hard.  I would like to hope this will help some people wake up and realize the full potential of our species isn't consumerism. 

2 hours ago, NIevo said:

We kill millions a year in cars and abortions due to convenience and millions more from drinking and smoking yet get all bent out of shape and righteous all of a sudden for thousands?

You should just stop trying to argue with a virus, it really makes you sound silly.  I think we have all for the most part agreed the hype driven by the media is frustrating and can be harmful. However, the one thing you seem to lack comprehension for is the biological killer at play, the virus. You are basically mocking a deadly virus saying your not scared. "Dont tell me not to go outside'  You are basically saying it needs to kill millions of innocent lives before it pops up on your radar for concern? WOW, that does say ALOT about your character.  If a family member has been infected (then my serious condolences), then you sir are doing them no justice by downplaying the severity of this situation. 

I can't comprehend why this thread is still going, it's messing up the page, the first thing I see opening BP are hostile or negative comments on this thread. I don't want this & I'm sure other people on this forum feel the same. How is this helping? Is this what you guys call support? Really think about what you're posting in this thread, ask yourself: Is this a contribution to our mental health in a crisis that affects everyone of us or is this my political opinion that creates nothing but bad vibes? Stay safe & calm.

10 minutes ago, elmaslıefendi said:

I can't comprehend why this thread is still going, it's messing up the page, the first thing I see opening BP are hostile or negative comments on this thread. I don't want this & I'm sure other people on this forum feel the same. How is this helping? Is this what you guys call support? Really think about what you're posting in this thread, ask yourself: Is this a contribution to our mental health in a crisis that affects everyone of us or is this my political opinion that creates nothing but bad vibes? Stay safe & calm.

There's some good stuff too, but since i've been reading since post #1; I've already learned to just scroll past the negative...like every other other new outlet gotta actively filter and scroll on!

I find this forum has a very unique cross-section of members and viewpoints.  But I get it; there's is definitely a lot of negativity for a LEGO site.  

Hi.

The mods decided to lock this thread again.  We think members need a break from COVID-19 talk on a Lego fan site.

Is anyone building LEGO?  If so, please post pics, create a new topic, and reply to existing ones.

So far during this debacle, my kids built a Friends Art truck, Vader's transformation, & the LEGO Easter giveaways.  They are doing a 500 piece Thomas Kinkaid Disney Jungle Book puzzle now.  Personally, I found time to build Capt, Rex's whatever you call and fixed a few sets that fell apart last yr (mainly Rebels Vader Tie vs. A-Wing) .  I'm building the Creator Expect Ford Mustang  when not working my real job, dealing with the wife, and helping the kids w/ their online schooling,  

• Like 8

I'm gonna sound like that old guy that can't keep up with the times..

But dangit...I want to see a real menu when I sit down at a restaurant...I want a real fold-up map of Disneyland...I want to be able to forget my phone and actually function for a day somewhere outside of my home.

Has there even been ONE documented case of getting CV off a surface...I'm sure there has, but every industry doing the (cheaper) contactless thing using that as a scapegoat. it's like 90% of effort and resources to prevent probably less than 1% of cases.  Turning up the AC or installing fans and opening some windows will do 1000x more to prevent spread than taking away the freaking menus. /rant

• Like 8

They don't give you a normal menu where you are? (And I'm not being my normal troll-self. I eat out as much as allowed here in NYC and I've never not been given a normal menu.)

As a side note, When I leave my home, the phone is left there. - I'm out. That means I'm busy.

Edited by KvHulk

I go out to eat 4/5 times a week and have never seen the electronic menu. It's funny that people will sit down at a restaurant around a bunch of people with air being recirculated, not concerned about Covid. But, the thoughts of condiment bottles or menus is scary.

• Like 3

14 hours ago, $20 on joe vs dan said:

But dangit...I want to see a real menu when I sit down at a restaurant...I want a real fold-up map of Disneyland...I want to be able to forget my phone and actually function for a day somewhere outside of my home.

Agreed.  But it’s all part of the plan.  They want us completely reliant on digital. To get there they need to remove all tangible items except your smartphone. We went to the ballgame a few weeks ago. First time in years. No vendors accept cash.  A cashless society where you have to carry a “smart” device at all times is coming. New York is sneaking it in with the Excelsior pass. California will be following suit.  People are falling over themselves to be in compliance to the covid mandates. The real **** is that they’re giving up their personal freedom in doing so. 

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

1 hour ago, KvHulk said:

They don't give you a normal menu where you are? (And I'm not being my normal troll-self. I eat out as much as allowed here in NYC and I've never not been given a normal menu.)

As a side note, When I leave my home, the phone is left there. - I'm out. That means I'm busy.

You live in New York. Good luck eating out without your phone come September. 💁‍♂️

Just now, iahawks550 said:

Who is "they"

They Live. 

3 minutes ago, iahawks550 said:

It actually makes sense for businesses to want a cashless transaction. It cuts down on expenses and stealing.

Credit card companies take theIr share. Small Businesses begrudgingly accept credit cards. Big business pass on the fees to the customer. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

12 minutes ago, iahawks550 said:

Who is "they"

Federal Reserve(Int'l bankers).

The want a trackable, traceable transaction database where all monetary activity is monitored and controlled. 

Exclusive digital currency plus social credit system = Full control. 

Full control and obedience can be a positive or negative depending on what kind civilization a society wants. 

• Like 1
  • Haha 1