COVID-19 / Coronavirus Discussion

CosmicSpeed

18 minutes ago, iahawks550 said:

It actually makes sense for businesses to want a cashless transaction. It cuts down on expenses and stealing.

NOPE!  I own a small business, and involved with several small business associations.  We would all prefer cash.  The fees that WE PAY so you can have the privilege to use your credit / debit card are F---in' Insane.  This year alone I will pay between $35-40k.  I could employ 1 more person, or give everyone bonuses AND raises with that kind of money...

• Like 5
  • Thanks 2

4 minutes ago, Goofball814 said:

NOPE!  I own a small business, and involved with several small business associations.  We would all prefer cash.  The fees that WE PAY so you can have the privilege to use your credit / debit card are F---in' Insane.  This year alone I will pay between $35-40k.  I could employ 1 more person, or give everyone bonuses AND raises with that kind of money...

Yep, pretty sure Visa & Mastercard are all onboard with cashless society idea

call me crazy, I kinda like the QR code menus.  Don't need any sticky residue left behind or salsa stains on the section I want to read.

Usually know what I am getting anyways cause I am a creature of habit and once I've had my initial visit that usually is the same thing I order everytime.

• Like 3

It actually makes sense for businesses to want a cashless transaction. It cuts down on expenses and stealing.

Digital cash is far from foolproof. Considering the amount of fraud we see as LEGO resellers, I’m surprised you’d think cashless cuts down on stealing. It just transfers the crimes to faceless hackers.

3 minutes ago, House Schubert said:

not sure why anyone would smoke dope these days... It is so easy to just eat it!

You lose IQ points regardless of how you consume it. Might be another reason states have been so eager to legalize it. 🤫

• Confused 1
  • Sad 1

20 minutes ago, Alpinemaps said:

Digital cash is far from foolproof. Considering the amount of fraud we see as LEGO resellers, I’m surprised you’d think cashless cuts down on stealing. It just transfers the crimes to faceless hackers.

Exactly. How many of us have had a credit card hacked or number stolen?  I reckon all of us have at one time.  Imagine the identity theft that will happen when we’re all reliant on the latest “excelsior” pass.  What a Trojan horse this will turn out to be. 

Edited by Mathew

Going cashless certainly has its drawbacks, but moving to a secure blockchain for transactions like FedNow and using FedCoin for zero transaction fees will certainly curtail most digital hackers. And remember, organized crime exists because physical currency is difficult to track and trace. I don’t see how the mob or countless other organized crime outfits will survive this transition.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

1 hour ago, Mathew said:

I’ve known enough dope heads to see that weed eats away at your personality and ability to rationalize. 

You're confusing dopeheads with potheads.

Marijuana is not a gateway drug, there has never been any recorded deaths outright caused by its usage, and the only reason why it was criminalized to begin with was Harry Jacob Anslinger racist propaganda in the 1930's. The possible worst impact on one's health is smoking the substance under the age of 25 can lead to potential memory problems and poor cognitive functions because a person's brain has not fully developed. A side effect on par same as underage drinking of alcoholic beverages.

59 minutes ago, House Schubert said:

not sure why anyone would smoke dope these days... It is so easy to just eat it!

I could go for some magic brownies about now. Oooh, and some cookies!

• Thanks 1

17 minutes ago, Mark Twain said:

Going cashless certainly has its drawbacks, but moving to a secure blockchain for transactions like FedNow and using FedCoin for zero transaction fees will certainly curtail most digital hackers. And remember, organized crime exists because physical currency is difficult to track and trace. I don’t see how the mob or countless other organized crime outfits will survive this transition.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Just on practical level, how does this cashless system work with poor phone reception and/or internet outage or rolling blackouts ?

1 hour ago, Darth_Raichu said:

Hmm, if you are ok with going to different states, there are plenty restaurants that still have regular menus

Been there done that...sure I could move to a different state and get a real menu..but then I get everyone else looking at me wondering "who's that foreign fellow over there".

• Haha 2

7 minutes ago, Darth_Raichu said:

Just on practical level, how does this cashless system work with poor phone reception and/or internet outage or rolling blackouts ?

such a pain wandering around Disneyland trying to read a map on a small screen in bright sunlight w/ polarized prescription sunglasses (also the Disney app had a glitch where it wasn't fully compatible w/ my phone so it wouldn't even show ride times [ie the best benefit of such a tool])...we reached a point of frustration when my son happen to pick up a Spanish paper map off the ground...and THAT was a godsend.

To the earlier poster about going to the same restaurants and knowing what you want anyway...I agree...but the digital infrastructures become a serious hassle whenever you step off your normal routine and go somewhere new or do something different.

19 minutes ago, TheOrcKing said:

You're confusing dopeheads with potheads.

Marijuana is not a gateway. The possible worst impact on one's health is smoking the substance under the age of 25 can lead to potential memory problems and poor cognitive functions because a person's brain has not fully developed. A side effect on par same as underage drinking of alcoholic beverages.

Potheads. I was there and experienced it. It’s a gateway drug. Do you think people who drop a tab or do a line actually never smoked a bowl prior 🤦‍♂️

• Sad 1

31 minutes ago, $20 on joe vs dan said:

Been there done that...sure I could move to a different state and get a real menu..but then I get everyone else looking at me wondering "who's that foreign fellow over there".

Who said anything about moving ? You can visit, eat, and leave

Just make sure not to stop at places where you can hear the "Dueling Banjos"

1 hour ago, Darth_Raichu said:

https://www.starlink.com

Elon Musk didn’t come out of nowhere for just an electric car brand. 

https://www.google.com/amp/s/www.space.com/amp/spacex-starlink-satellites.html

Son:  ”Look dad at all the shooting stars...”

Dad:  “Son, those are just Starlink satellites beaming 5G data from the digital implants in our frontal lobes.” *

The father son conversation is kind of a joke. With that said what’s really going? Billions of dollars worth of satellites to serve internet so that hillbillies can stream their dueling banjo concerts? 🤔

Edited by Mathew