Star Wars 2020

Val-E

• Replies 327
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

1 hour ago, iahawks550 said:

September 1 ship date is a joke for the consumer. But for a company, it's a great way to gauge production quantities.

Absolutely. There is no benefit to the consumer here. No price break. No GWP. Hardly any exclusivity either since Amazon is also taking pre-orders. 

So, what's the rush to pre-order? 

7 minutes ago, $20 on joe vs dan said:

I'm qualifying my inquiry to when was the last "rare" Star Wars set that (in hindsight) would have made a great re-sell investment (ie available in reasonable quantity to the masses

How can any rare set be available in reasonable quantity to the masses ????
Maybe give us an example of non SW set that would qualify?

If something is rare it is not available to masses in reasonable quantity, so I am not sure I understand.

But, the Darth Vader bust was for sale by Target online and I am pretty sure (not 100%) that they were available for at least a few days before selling out. So there was reasonable quantity, I was able to order 20 and I know that there were others who got a lot more than I did.

• Like 1

10 minutes ago, Darth_Raichu said:

How can any rare set be available in reasonable quantity to the masses ????
Maybe give us an example of non SW set that would qualify?

SHortbus nailed it

I was thinking that a set that could be had at reasonable quantities with reasonable effort...not some comicon lottery, YMMV-ish hidden treasure, or something that soldout in less than a minute. 

28 minutes ago, $20 on joe vs dan said:

SHortbus nailed it

I was thinking that a set that could be had at reasonable quantities with reasonable effort...not some comicon lottery, YMMV-ish hidden treasure, or something that soldout in less than a minute. 

Vader bust was not available at a reasonable quantity. If you were not here in the 2 days they were available, you most likely did not buy them for MSRP.  It was very similar to Movie2 Bhz

Unless we have different definition of reasonable quantity.  If a handful of people could wipe out the all available supply in less than 48 hours, then there was hardly reasonable quantity available to begin with 

23 minutes ago, Darth_Raichu said:

Vader bust was not available at a reasonable quantity. If you were not here in the 2 days they were available, you most likely did not buy them for MSRP.  It was very similar to Movie2 Bhz

Unless we have different definition of reasonable quantity.  If a handful of people could wipe out the all available supply in less than 48 hours, then there was hardly reasonable quantity available to begin with 

I think we're close to the same page here...since the OT is on the pre-orders (w/ no clue on availability tho thru all the major outlets looks to be substantial); the two day window seems appropriate as any (can anyone here say they are "reasonably trying" if they ignore the hot discussion topic for 2 days).  In hindsight the Vader bust (to me) was a let down (barely x2 and w/ fees/shipping not worth it to me)

It's all speculation on a slow news day; thanks for the discussion.

4 hours ago, $20 on joe vs dan said:

I think we're close to the same page here...since the OT is on the pre-orders (w/ no clue on availability tho thru all the major outlets looks to be substantial); the two day window seems appropriate as any (can anyone here say they are "reasonably trying" if they ignore the hot discussion topic for 2 days).  In hindsight the Vader bust (to me) was a let down (barely x2 and w/ fees/shipping not worth it to me)

It's all speculation on a slow news day; thanks for the discussion.

Does that mean you're not open to discussing further?  Maybe someone else can provide additional examples.

14 minutes ago, Frank Brickowski said:

(I mean how greedy and at the same time uninspired can a toymaker be forced to become under control of a licensing partner before... imploding? TLG should try to end the deal with Disney as soon as possible, or this will not end well.)

These are big partnerships so it will take a lot of time before implosions can happen.  However, you can certainly see some cracks.  For example, have you noticed how small the Star Wars toy sections at Walmarts and Targets are compared to 2 years ago?

As for 75278, easy pass just like 75187 due to my refusal to support the Disney SW trilogy.  It may not be smart business decision though, we'll see :dontknow:  

• Like 1

Just now, Darth_Raichu said:

These are big partnerships so it will take a lot of time before implosions can happen.  However, you can certainly see some cracks.  For example, have you noticed how small the Star Wars toy sections at Walmarts and Targets are compared to 2 years ago?

As for 75278, easy pass just like 75187 due to my refusal to support the Disney SW trilogy.  It may not be smart business decision though, we'll see :dontknow:  

TLG has a very solid track record of bad timing. So it's almost out of question that they will also miss the right time to finally terminate their STAR WARS partnership with Disney. Hint: NOW would be a very good time.

2 minutes ago, exracer327 said:

lol, I read your comment before you edited it.  The last time I talked to the LEGO store mgr about LEGO letting the Star Wars license end (which should be happening sometime between 2020-2021) he reminded me of just how many Disney licenses there are with LEGO.  There are a lot...  

TLG's extensive cooperation with Disney has become a business choke hold that might hurt them really bad long-term.

• Like 2

4 minutes ago, exracer327 said:

lol, I read your comment before you edited it.  The last time I talked to the LEGO store mgr about LEGO letting the Star Wars license end (which should be happening sometime between 2020-2021) he reminded me of just how many Disney licenses there are with LEGO.  There are a lot...  

This. Disney is huge. They can easily put the pressure on LEGO to continue producing SW stuffs, otherwise their popular Marvel, Disney Princess, etc etc lines will suffer

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Frank Brickowski said:

TLG's extensive cooperation with Disney has become a business choke hold that might hurt them really bad long-term.

I agree.  At one time LEGO SW was one of the best selling if not THE best.  Now, thanks to Disney, it has become an albatross.  I wonder if Disney is dictating which products get made?  (I'm looking at you failed Kylo Ren's shuttle 75104 and Rebel Resistance LEGO sets.)  I wonder if LEGO is getting a bit gun-shy for SW.  Perhaps this is the real reason LEGO is rehashing so many OT sets; they don't know where else to go.

1 hour ago, exracer327 said:

I agree.  At one time LEGO SW was one of the best selling if not THE best. 

2008-2012 somewhere in there was the alltime peak. It was absolutely insane, sets were flying off the shelves, everyone bought the stuff. The waves were very nice & Disney wasn't in charge of the franchise. I haven't bought anything Star Wars since 2014. 

• Like 1