10246 - Detective's Office

DadsAFOL

How many 10246 Detective Offices do you have?  

87 members have voted

1. 1. How many 10246 Detective Offices do you have?

• 50 or more. I am the heir to Emazers.
    • 20-49
    • 10-19
    • 5-9
    • 2-4
    • 1 (for resale not personal build)
    • 1 (for personal build/undecided what to do with it)
    • None. I am Exciter1 and this set hasn´t been released in my location yet.

This poll is closed to new votes

• Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.
  • Poll closed on 11/30/2018 at 06:59 PM

In case you missed it from the 40140 Flower Cart thread, here's a review of that set:

Spoiler alert - the flower cart is hiding cookies.  No wonder Lego is advertising this set as going well with the DO.

The DO and Flower Cart are out for freakin' two days and already a conspiracy theory is born.

• Like 1

One of the employees in our store said it is a clarification surrounding the mirror and how to install it correctly.  We are still waiting for the shipment.  They were taking callback numbers.  Dying to get my hands on it.  I think is super fun the flower cart could be in on the smuggling.  Well thought out.

I heard in store there was a replacement page for the instructions for this due to an error

Anyone confirm or post this?

Will online orders come with this

I can confirm there is a separate piece to replace step 42. It is, however, exactly the same as the page except that they have included a little pic of you peeling the protective sheeting off the mirror before putting it in place. I guess people were confused by that step or something. If you have half a brain, the insert is completely unnecessary.

I have to disagree with some of you guys about the one large book for the instructions though. Yes, the book is far better constructed than previous ones, but the fact that it is all in one is problematic for people like us who build together. In the past, my wife would grab one book and I another, and we would build together. That isn't possible now with one large book. Since you can build it in sections, they should keep the instructions in sections.

Otherwise, it is a really nice set both to see and to build. The Mixel elements adapt well, and the "new" techniques that they discussed using are fun to try. I had to rebuild the bottom of my Cafe Corner last night and I can tell you they have come a long way in 7 years.

• Like 1

I have to disagree with some of you guys about the one large book for the instructions though. Yes, the book is far better constructed than previous ones, but the fact that it is all in one is problematic for people like us who build together. In the past, my wife would grab one book and I another, and we would build together. That isn't possible now with one large book. Since you can build it in sections, they should keep the instructions in sections.

I know it's not the greatest, but in cases like that, I let my wife have the book, and I just bring up the instructions on an iPad.  If I need to look at the book, I do.  But 99% of the time, it's as good as having the real thing.

Hard to describe, but yes I pulled back the black stair case. But there's an alleyway stair case platform that gets in the way...

When I built the Sandcrawler I made a mistake placing the technic pins and every time I opened the side doors the pieces became dislodged. It wasn't until I watched a video review that I saw where I had made my error. Perhaps you could try watching this video starting at around 6 minutes to see if your build looks the same.

Edit: some reason won't let me post the link. If you go to YouTube and search BrickShow detective office you should be able to find it.

Edited by runormal

I did think of Chicago, similar buildings. Not to get off track, but where would one start and Amnesty Link for us Lego lovers that have been BANNED from Lego LEGO Shop at Home?

i do like the Detective's Office, trying to work it in next to the Pet Shop portion of the set.

It would only take one Religious group/church to dislike the Pool Hall and maybe they can force it to retire early!!! Ha Ha.

The 10244 Mixer is the set for my retirement money, and the Tumbler will out sell the Crawler on the after market. I am slowly running out of Rock Bands, wish I had more.

Got to go find some more CHEAP Town Halls.

I know it's not the greatest, but in cases like that, I let my wife have the book, and I just bring up the instructions on an iPad.  If I need to look at the book, I do.  But 99% of the time, it's as good as having the real thing.

Totally off topic but thanks for this! That idea never occurred to me before! i always bring a larger Lego set for the family to build (while drinking heavily) on holiday vacations and your idea will come in handy. Over Christmas my cousins, brother, sister and in-laws all built the Tumbler together. Your idea would have come in handy. 

• Like 1

Halfway through...I think the pool hall might be my favorite single room in any modular...that pool table is so awesome and the movable fan!

I agree that the manual is a pain to use while still trying to keep it nice.

Lego still has trouble getting their dark blue color right...this has been going on since the Cafe Corner.  I guess it's just a hard color to mix.

Just set up my DO on part of my street, really liking this modular a lot. Build was relaxing and meditative and new building techniques which I enjoyed.

It fits really well next to the Parisian restaurant. We haven't built ours yet - I was thinking next to the Cafe Corner but I might like this better.

sauromosis posted an excellent pic of all the mod buildings.

at least to me, it's pretty clear why many members think the pet shop is the boring one of the bench.

To be honest, when I first saw DO released... I wasn't impressed at all. Even in the official LEGO designer's video, it looks small and short to me. But then I got to know the design and the build and the story, I started loving it. Well... then I saw it again at the LEGO store, if I didn't really get close to it, from 5 ft distance, it doesn't look impressive to me, maybe only me, it looked small, maybe coz the lower half.

• 4 weeks later...