10246 - Detective's Office

DadsAFOL

How many 10246 Detective Offices do you have?  

87 members have voted

1. 1. How many 10246 Detective Offices do you have?

• 50 or more. I am the heir to Emazers.
    • 20-49
    • 10-19
    • 5-9
    • 2-4
    • 1 (for resale not personal build)
    • 1 (for personal build/undecided what to do with it)
    • None. I am Exciter1 and this set hasn´t been released in my location yet.

This poll is closed to new votes

• Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.
  • Poll closed on 11/30/2018 at 06:59 PM

To be honest, when I first saw DO released... I wasn't impressed at all. Even in the official LEGO designer's video, it looks small and short to me. But then I got to know the design and the build and the story, I started loving it. Well... then I saw it again at the LEGO store, if I didn't really get close to it, from 5 ft distance, it doesn't look impressive to me, maybe only me, it looked small, maybe coz the lower half.

I feel the same. While interiors are nice I don't play with my modulars, only display them so how it looks on the exterior is most important to me. For that reason my 3 least favorite modulars are Market Street, Pet Shop, & Detective's Office.

Edited by legopocalypse

Check out this one, I think this guy does some amazing modifications to existing modulars:

Sjaak Lego 10246 XL Mod:

16372495445_51b1da40cf_c.jpg

Full collection of his photos HERE.

Our family is working on the DO now, the detail is amazing. We primarily display our modulars but damn, building this thing is incredible. For us, the best part is the building and this is the most fun we have had building a modular yet. Every modular just gets more and more detailed and the building techniques keep getting better. Can't wait for 2016..

• Like 6

Check out this one, I think this guy does some amazing modifications to existing modulars:

Sjaak Lego 10246 XL Mod:

Full collection of his photos HERE.

I enjoy what he does to the modulars. He make each building more believable. I look at his work and see money spent building that could have been invested. Guess I am no longer a true fan of the brick. Nice post!

Down to bags 4 and I love this build. While TH still remains my favourite as for the bang/buck, this one is my favourite when it comes to detail, character and building fun. A relief after building PS and PR.

I finished building it last week and I think it is really nice! Cannot wait for the next one! haha

It definitely seems the trend with the modulars has been more detailed interiors - and for that they've sacrificed some of the exterior height (PR + DO). The builds are amazing, and they still display very nicely, however, for sheer impressiveness, they come up a bit short compared to the older modulars. But is this a bad thing? I don't think so since it's nice to have variation of look/height, etc. hopefully we continue to get variation, including another of impressive size with the next one!

• 2 weeks later...

It's nice to hear positive reports.  The reviews at LEGO Shop at Home have been underwhelming.  To date, this is the lowest rated modular on Lego's site.

This baffles me.  I would guess many of the reviews are from folks that haven't built or seen the set in person.   DO may be my favorite modular, period.  It has it all: story, detail, theme, variety.  The exterior is easily the most varied of any modular, with the walkway, varying height sections, *printed* windows!, and fantastic sign.  It's a bar!  Add the rotating fan, pool table, complete barber shop with mirror, and the messy detectives office itself, and you have a 100% winner.  It's not all about size.  Besides, this fits in so well next to other modulars like PR and PS.  

• Like 2

It's a great build and display - very intricate and detailed. Easily one of the best modulars!

The *only* negative thing I can think of is simply the size - it is smaller than some of the older modulars. I don't have CC, but I have TH and GG. Obviously, they are larger next to this and the PR.

It seems the newer modulars sacrifice a bit of size for details - both inside and outside.

Overall, a great set! Highly recommend!!

• Like 1

To date, this is the lowest rated modular on Lego's site.

It is with an overall 93% of reviewers recommending the product? :scratchhead:

Most every review on S@H is underwhelming. Definitely not the site for quality reviews.

One detail that gets me is each member's age is an odd range of four (example age 14-18) as though the site couldn't even decide how old the person was despite filling in that information when signing up. I don't know; such an indecisive stat just doesn't make sense to me.

It seems the newer modulars sacrifice a bit of size for details - both inside and outside.

I remember how people complained the older ones had a great facade but nothing or little to the interior decor. Thankfully now LEGO decks out the entire thing like a real building would unless it was rental property waiting for a tenant.
  • Like 1

Individual reviews at LEGO Shop at Home, like reviews anywhere, can be ridiculous.  But if you go by the average score, I think it's somewhat meaningful.  The UCS B-Wing, for example, had a lousy rating, something like 3.8 I think, which made it easily the worst reviewed SW UCS set ever.  And it retired a year after its release.  This wouldn't have helped you predict TH's early retirement, since it was very well reviewed, but if DO were to fall below 4, it'd be worth keeping an eye on as a candidate for early retirement.  Interestingly, it's the adults that don't seem to like DO.  Many say it's not really an 'expert' level build, and find the whole 'cookie smuggling' theme to be childish.

Individual reviews at LEGO Shop at Home, like reviews anywhere, can be ridiculous.  But if you go by the average score, I think it's somewhat meaningful.  The UCS B-Wing, for example, had a lousy rating, something like 3.8 I think, which made it easily the worst reviewed SW UCS set ever.  And it retired a year after its release.  This wouldn't have helped you predict TH's early retirement, since it was very well reviewed, but if DO were to fall below 4, it'd be worth keeping an eye on as a candidate for early retirement.  Interestingly, it's the adults that don't seem to like DO.  Many say it's not really an 'expert' level build, and find the whole 'cookie smuggling' theme to be childish.

Yeah adults... what morrons ^.^

I mean it's also for children and cookie smuggling is a little bit cute I think! (And kids can relate to it).

If you want to do your alcohol smuggling as an adult fan of lego (AFOL finding something too childish ^.^ but play with their LEGOs ;-) yeah yeah... talk about hypocrisy ^.^) they can easily use some LEGO bottles or whatsoever to do so. (so that's not even really a legit point on a potential list of negative aspects).

Just finished the first floor of the DO, bags 1 and 2. As others have stated very detailed build. The pool table and ceiling fan are nice but for some reason I like the barbers chair.

Anyway I don't think I have seen this posted yet, but don't throw out the mirror!!! I got my set on release day from the lego store and not sure if this will be an issue as this set sits or if I just got a bad one, but I had no clue that was the mirror the one side of the white cardboard was turning brown. I thought it was trash that somehow found its way into one of the bag 2s.

I deffinetly had a caveman moment when I figured out you had to peel the paper off.

I can confirm there is a separate piece to replace step 42. It is, however, exactly the same as the page except that they have included a little pic of you peeling the protective sheeting off the mirror before putting it in place. I guess people were confused by that step or something. If you have half a brain, the insert is completely unnecessary.

Ah found this post. I guess I don't have half a brain. Like I said it was a caveman moment right up there with creating fire.

I have never seen the special instructions for dummies.

• 3 weeks later...

just finished the built yesterday.  This is my 8th modular so i'd say i am very expereinced.  I like the details and the built, but it's true (to me) that each section (the pool shop, the barber shop, the kitchen) are very small that its so hard to even get your hand in there.  I accidentally drop a piece inside the 2nd floor kitchen and i had to turn the whole thing upside down and shake it to get the piece out (since I couldn't get my hand in there and move my fingers; i couldn't even get my hand in there with a tweeser to pick it up).  Compared to the other modulars, the instructions are not as good.  I see there are at least 3 places where they could've been more clear or messed up (no not the mirror).  Also, I have 3 missing pieces this time.  The only other timm i've had a missing piece for a modular was the townhall missing 1 piece only.

Now that the built is done and yes, it's a detailed and nicely presentable display piece, but I can't really do anything with it since it's too delicate and the sections are way too small.

I would give the detective office an overall "7 or 8" experience, but definitely not a 9 or 10 as most other modulars would earn.

Edited by humanvege

• 1 month later...

Just finished the DO today.  Only built the GE, FB, TH and PS so far but have to say currently it's one of my favourites in terms of overall interior and exterior (colours + textures) detail.  Love the look, giving top marks to the designer.   I have DO next to GE (left side) and looks great imo...the PS on the right side of GE rounds out the corner currently.   

Have to call customer service tomorrow for 5 missing pieces (wood panel for water tower, barber pole attachment and 3 more light blue tiles).   Would recommend this set for any builder, well worth the price.   If I could start off with any 2 modular it would be GG and DO.   I guess everyone is different and have their own preferences.   

Up next is PC next week :) 

• Like 1

• 3 months later...