Toys "R" Us - 50% scraps are all that's left

jsteele

11 hours ago, hockeyweasel said:

Bigger question for us on here would be how long LEGO will be in stock and if it will ever see liquidation pricing. 

I'm wondering the same thing.  The Babies R Us store which has been on the chopping block for a couple of months now still is not discounting any of their LEGO stock.  And yet it was moving just the same.  I suspect people are using their gift cards while they still can.  I wonder if after the first wave of everyone using up gift cards the stock will begin to accumulate.

I was at a TRU clearance store which was also closing and they didn't have any LEGO stock on sale.  In fact, it was listed above SRP just like the regular stores.  *sigh*  Sad that even the liquidation stores don't get it.

9 hours ago, thombockerman said:

after hearing on the radio the other day what actually caused the downfall of TRU its hard to be angry with them over their prices, and the fact that they couldn't climb out of that mountain of debt.  pretty sad that they were ruined by the buyout and the way they handled putting the debt on the company so there was no risk to the investors is allowed to happen.  I seriously doubt any company would be able to survive or turn a profit with that amount of payments on their shoulders, no matter what company or industry if your hands are tied when the competition is making moves and you don't have the resources to react to market changes. 

I don't even feel bad that the execs got bonuses.  its a sinking ship and they're grabbing the good stuff before it goes down anyway. 

I have to admit, when I read the whole story about the buy out and what they did with the debt, it reminded me of the robber barrons of the late 1800s.  They would buy up railroads, gut the railroad they bought, sell off all the pieces and make huge profits while bankrupting the railroads they had just bought.  The only ones who profit are the owners.  The shareholders and employees get left holding the bag.

• Like 1

11 hours ago, Average Guy said:

Something similar is some retailers are now using a third party to keep track of returns. They claim it stops fraud. So for example if you return items at a completely different store chain, you may be refused a return at another store chain, i.e. Best Buy is doing this now. 

Companies that need to outsource their return procedures deserves to fail. Have they not realized the companies that are still successful today are the ones that create positive customer experience when things gone wrong? If you need a third party that have very limited authority and very strict guideline on what it can and cannot do, it will just create a negative experience to that contracted employee and the customer because the 3rd party can't really do much. The argument of reduce fraud? What a bunch of BS. Just transferring the liability to the contractor and force them to be on the hook if they accepted a bad return.

• Like 1

11 hours ago, exracer327 said:

I have to admit, when I read the whole story about the buy out and what they did with the debt, it reminded me of the robber barrons of the late 1800s.  They would buy up railroads, gut the railroad they bought, sell off all the pieces and make huge profits while bankrupting the railroads they had just bought.  The only ones who profit are the owners.  The shareholders and employees get left holding the bag.

That's not at all what happened here. The investors put up $1.3 billion of their own money for the buyout and collected $200 million in management fees, which means they lost $1.1 billion on the deal. The three investment companies that bought TRU ARE the shareholders. They took the company private.

As for what thombockerman said about how it's sad that they arranged it so that the debt was put on the company and not the investors, that was no special arrangement. That's just how it works for any corporation and would have been the case even if this leveraged buyout had never taken place. A corporation's owners are not responsible for the debt of the corporation. The corporation is its own entity. 

• Like 3

I went to a TRU on Saturday and I also saw it pretty crowded with virtually no in your face kind of sales aside from a few small signs and such. I was looking at a Disney Ariel polybag that had a sticker price of $3.99. When I went to a scanner it priced out to $4.49. I didn't even bother going to a cashier to double check. I threw it to the side, walked out and looked back while shaking my head. 

You can certainly love the nostalgia of being in a toy store as I have throughout the years. You can even relive that nostalgia and feel the magic again if you have children and see it all again through their eyes. But when you realize that a corporation is bent on not learning from their mistakes and choosing to go out on the terms that got them there to begin with...well, I say (insert flipping bird emoji). 

• Like 3

1 hour ago, MrToes16 said:

I went to a TRU on Saturday and I also saw it pretty crowded with virtually no in your face kind of sales aside from a few small signs and such. I was looking at a Disney Ariel polybag that had a sticker price of $3.99. When I went to a scanner it priced out to $4.49. I didn't even bother going to a cashier to double check. I threw it to the side, walked out and looked back while shaking my head. 

You can certainly love the nostalgia of being in a toy store as I have throughout the years. You can even relive that nostalgia and feel the magic again if you have children and see it all again through their eyes. But when you realize that a corporation is bent on not learning from their mistakes and choosing to go out on the terms that got them there to begin with...well, I say (insert flipping bird emoji). 

When my closest Kmart closed, they actually went around and raised prices on everything before starting the markdowns. You could find hundreds of items with a price sticker on top of a price sticker or a clearance sticker, or even a box front torn where the previous clearance sticker was removed. I expect nothing less from TRU.

The TRU near me employs associates that I really applaud them for. There is a woman who is missing her hand and a man who works there who has Tourettes. I know there are specific rights held by people with disabilities, but I do wonder how hard it might be for them to find employment. As much as many of us might not like the company practices, there are a lot of people who will be out of a job in the next 60 days and that is never a good thing. I hope that TRU offers some kind of placement support after this is done but Im not going to hold my breath.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Elkkthunder said:

I asked if I could by the Geoffrey costume they used for events. I was told not at this time, still have hope but expect the manager to scarf it

I'll admit I definitely didn't expect to read that, but of all the "possible iconic items" to take from the store...that would top the list.

5 minutes ago, pstebbing said:

I'll admit I definitely didn't expect to read that, but of all the "possible iconic items" to take from the store...that would top the list.

Well, I'd like a big "R" from the outside of the building.  It would look nice on our garage all lit up.

• Like 2

16 minutes ago, Ed Mack said:

There will be some variation of Toy R Us in the future...albeit smaller and more economical.  The major toy manufacturers need the "showroom."  

The minor ones do too, like Animal Planet, Playmobil, True Heroes, NECA, Disney Exclusives, etc.

Hello,
We noticed that you purchased a gift card to Toys”R”Us and/or Babies”R”Us on our marketplace within the last year. Unfortunately, these retailers have indicated that they will be closing a number of store locations in the coming weeks. Toys”R”Us has announced that April 15, 2018 is the last day to redeem unused gift cards.
If you have yet to redeem the value of these gift cards, we encourage you to do so as soon as possible. Please click here to find a store near you, or visit www.toysrus.com to redeem your eGift cards online.
Here at Raise, we strive to provide the best service and policies for our members. Unfortunately at this time, as stated by our 1 Year Money-Back Guarantee we are unable to provide refunds for brands that have gone out of business. We sincerely apologize for any inconvenience this may cause and ask that you contact Raise Member Services with any questions.
We appreciate your business and hope to continue help make your money worth more for years to come. 
Sincerely,
The Raise Team
  • Like 3

5 minutes ago, exciter1 said:

The minor ones do too, like Animal Planet, Playmobil, True Heroes, NECA, Disney Exclusives, etc.

Yes, I agree, they do...I'm not the sharpest tool in the shed, but I think it would be a long term prudent move by The LEGO Group and other large toy manufacturers to help TRU with its debt.  It could cost them less in the long run than it will to run independent stores in dying malls across the US.  Let's face it, there are well over 1000 TRUs.  There are 200 or so LEGO stores.  While Walmarts and Targets have decent LEGO sections, they are no match for TRUs LEGO displays. Hands on toys like LEGO sets need to be seen in person.  Just my 2 cents...

21 minutes ago, Ed Mack said:

Yes, I agree, they do...I'm not the sharpest tool in the shed, but I think it would be a long term prudent move by The LEGO Group and other large toy manufacturers to help TRU with its debt.  It could cost them less in the long run than it will to run independent stores in dying malls across the US.  Let's face it, there are well over 1000 TRUs.  There are 200 or so LEGO stores.  While Walmarts and Targets have decent LEGO sections, they are no match for TRUs LEGO displays. Hands on toys like LEGO sets need to be seen in person.  Just my 2 cents...

There are two strong independent "Mom&Pop" toy store chains (2-3 stores each) in my area. Both sell LEGO sets in addition to the typical brands you wouldn't find at WM TRU or Target. One of those stores has a LEGO selection that rivals most of the major retailers around them. I think that local Mom and pop shops that sell LEGO sets will do well once TRU shuts it's doors. These stores are all about the hands on play with the product before you buy concept.

Here's a pic taken last year as an example. (there are two more walls that size)

1x9zn2PnGGJBpG_h-BaB2KJrl5FXuPfeTsZ8FiZR

• Like 2