10193 - Medievel Market Village

Spartikis

• 1 month later...
  • 1 month later...

I think it is a very beautiful. Colours are very nice.

However, for investment I'm not sure.

it seems none has been sold on amazon.fr marketplace during the past year...

Maybe there is not much market for this.

Kids are  not intersted in and lego fans prefer to spend their money on other sets...

just my thought

I purchased two via Bricklink about 6 months ago for my personal collection.  I think I paid about $120 or so for each, before shipping.  I wanted one to build and a second to keep sealed, minty fresh.

I think it's an awesome set, but I'm also a huge fan of Medieval times so it was a no-brainer for me.

I don't see it spiking up in value so (a) there is no rush to buy it for your personal collection if you need to save up and (B) not the best investment ($130 can and should be invested elsewhere).

You might want post to the trading forum if you have something valuable to trade that you aren't emotionally tied to.  I'm sure a fellow Brickpicker will help you out.  I won't, I'm keeping my two :)

I purchased two via Bricklink about 6 months ago for my personal collection.  I think I paid about $120 or so for each, before shipping.  I wanted one to build and a second to keep sealed, minty fresh.

I think it's an awesome set, but I'm also a huge fan of Medieval times so it was a no-brainer for me.

I don't see it spiking up in value so (a) there is no rush to buy it for your personal collection if you need to save up and ( B) not the best investment ($130 can and should be invested elsewhere).

You might want post to the trading forum if you have something valuable to trade that you aren't emotionally tied to.  I'm sure a fellow Brickpicker will help you out.  I won't, I'm keeping my two :)

Too bad more Game of Throne fans and MOCers aren't picking up this and Castle-related sets

• 2 months later...

I never bought this one but I wanted a pile of them because it is such a neat and rare set, yet today, coming up on two years after eol and it can still be had for $160. I would be bummed if I had a large inventory of this and I still don't really see it going anywhere soon, it might hit $200 in a year or so.

We always talk about sets like 9474 and say "just give it time, in a year, it will be doing great!" but 10193 still hasn't gone anywhere nearly two years after eol, at this point, it is looking more and more like a flop. I know that 10193 had a long production run but a number of other sets have had similarly long runs and still done fine in the end. 

I just feel like if I can't pick sets like this to be winners, I have no business doing this anymore. I could be sitting on a pile of sets that I spent $100 each on and hoping to sell them for maybe $20 profit after two years, a kids lemonade stand would do better!

The set was available for 5 or 6 years and the investors' choice / hyped up set for 2011. I thought $160 in less than 2 years was ok for a set that routinely was on sale for $80. Of course if your inventory was 3-4 years old, this would not be the best situation for you.

As far as picking up loosers, had I picked winner sets every single time, my time would have been better spent sipping Pina Colada by the beach than on the BP forum :P

I never bought this one but I wanted a pile of them because it is such a neat and rare set, yet today, coming up on two years after eol and it can still be had for $160. I would be bummed if I had a large inventory of this and I still don't really see it going anywhere soon, it might hit $200 in a year or so.

We always talk about sets like 9474 and say "just give it time, in a year, it will be doing great!" but 10193 still hasn't gone anywhere nearly two years after eol, at this point, it is looking more and more like a flop. I know that 10193 had a long production run but a number of other sets have had similarly long runs and still done fine in the end. 

I just feel like if I can't pick sets like this to be winners, I have no business doing this anymore. I could be sitting on a pile of sets that I spent $100 each on and hoping to sell them for maybe $20 profit after two years, a kids lemonade stand would do better!

This set is nothing close to being a flop.

This set was a great bang for the buck and has appreciated OK, but the main weakness of the set is the Castle theme.  Castles are outdated and kids care very little about Kings and Knights.  Sorry Alcarin.  Invest in Ninjas, Robots/Spaceships and Superheroes.  

I bought two of these post EOL off Bricklink for about $120 per. I love the set, love the classic castle theme, and I plan to build them with my son.

I think you are right Ed. The market for castle sets is small and probably appeals to mostly AFOLs. That's not a bad thing but there are more Star Wars and Super Heroes fans out there for sure.

Personally I'm glad they didn't appreciate quickly since I bought them at a reasonable price. I probably would have loaded up on these like several others if I would have escaped the dark ages sooner.

Sent from my iPhone using Brickpicker

I bought two of these post EOL off Bricklink for about $120 per. I love the set, love the classic castle theme, and I plan to build them with my son.

I think you are right Ed. The market for castle sets is small and probably appeals to mostly AFOLs. That's not a bad thing but there are more Star Wars and Super Heroes fans out there for sure.

Personally I'm glad they didn't appreciate quickly since I bought them at a reasonable price. I probably would have loaded up on these like several others if I would have escaped the dark ages sooner.

Sent from my iPhone using Brickpicker

Yes, Castles are for AFOLs.  It is also over-saturation of sets as well.  I like the Castle theme, but there are just so many other sets that I need to buy first, the Castle theme is one of the last I pay attention to.  I believe this same though process goes on with kids as well.  Mom and Dad can't buy them all, so they buy what the kids want most.  A horse and Knight or a Monster truck with big wheels and teeth?  Not hard to figure out what kids would want.  

This set was a great bang for the buck and has appreciated OK, but the main weakness of the set is the Castle theme.  Castles are outdated and kids care very little about Kings and Knights.  Sorry Alcarin.  Invest in Ninjas, Robots/Spaceships and Superheroes.  

Haha.....

Well the thing thats disturbing (kinda) is the fact that Medieval Market Village (alongside Mill Village Raid) is/are the only two more civilian type of sets, and you would expect them to be highly looked for......

I bought 2 of those for 85

I just don't get kids these days, castles, pirates and western were/are the coolest things to play with as a kid, they definitely engaged my creativity and gave me a great sense adventure outside of just good vs evil. Today, in an age of bionicle, superheroes, monster fighters, ninjago and chima, I just don't get it, I guess I enjoy themes based on reality that I can take outside of the basic city/town everyday life context. 

I don't remember if I put this in my top 10 when those lists were being made, but it is one of the best looking sets Lego has ever made.  It is a little disappointing where it stands, but it was around for Death Star-like years and as said, the market for Castle is not what it is for Star Wars and SuperHeroes.  I fear Kingdoms Joust will suffer the same fate as it's a great set, but it's been around for years and kids probably don't even know what a joust is. 

Anybody play Joust on Atari or at the arcade when they were kids?  That was a fun game.

• Like 1

I've wanted this set for almost 2yrs now since getting into Lego...just been buying too much other stuff to get this for personal collection/build.  I like the buildings...could use it for LOTR/Hobbit/medieval landscape.   

Maybe I'll have to list this set for 'want' in the trading section. 

I've wanted this set for almost 2yrs now since getting into Lego...just been buying too much other stuff to get this for personal collection/build.  I like the buildings...could use it for LOTR/Hobbit/medieval landscape.   

Maybe I'll have to list this set for 'want' in the trading section. 

I grabbed one back in January.  I love the look of this set.  I'm going to modify it just slightly for my winter village.

Wise decision. I would buy one (used) for my own collection if I would stumble upon it. Cause it is a great looking set. For investment, it seems it is not as expected. But still profitable. Keeping one for the long-term isn't a bad idea. I think one is sufficient.

I also do not understand how things are developing. I hope I can teach my kids some things from my youth. Like castles, cowboys and indians. But isn't that what our parents tried to do with us?  

Yeah it was, I do small investing in LEGO anyway, its mostly funding my collecting part..... I do more profit (net) with sports betting than with LEGO selling lol

I bought mine used on BrickLink in Jan '13 and I'm glad I didn't wait longer (got it for under $100). It is a great set! I have been wondering about buying in to the Joust set but this discussion has me hesitating. I have a joust set in my personal collection and also built the back half of the castle (duplicate) using BL to source the pieces - it looks great! But who knows how long it will be around yet, and with limited appeal outside of AFOL's it probably won't perform much better than MMV.  

I also can't recall having seen the joust set discounted in the past year - I suppose it qualifies as an exclusive under Lego's 2013 policy change? I think I got mine for ~$110 on Amazon.