Ideas #017: 21309/92176 - NASA Apollo Saturn V

exciter1

3 minutes ago, cubfan78 said:

I think for Lego, sets like Saturn V doesn't actually offer much in the way of profit.

There is a lot of speculation that  LEGO must be making tons o' money. That's just not (necessarily) the case ... they must have some licensing fees and royalties to the original fan-designer.  High price tags ($100 and up) don't necessarily translate into huge profits. 

20 minutes ago, biking_tiger said:

There is a lot of speculation that  LEGO must be making tons o' money. That's just not (necessarily) the case ... they must have some licensing fees and royalties to the original fan-designer.  High price tags ($100 and up) don't necessarily translate into huge profits. 

On the other hand, no new moulds and most of the deisgn work has already been done for them so there are cost savings.

A good indication of value for money / profit is the Lego RRP vs knock off prices and this is one set where there is not such a big difference.

Smaller shops here have all been restocked during the last week. I think that @Shewie´s original production schedule seem accurate and we can expect a further EU SAH restock in the next 2 weeks.

EU Ebay now has 135 new listings so there should be no supply issues for Xmas.

Edited by Val-E

I'm seeing more and more of these in the wild as well. My local Toys'r'us had three of these (even if well hidden on top of the shelves behind Star Wars ad-banners, and Kaufhof got some a few times this week, both online and in the store.

I'd only buy with a decent discount at the moment. Don't think this will flip for significantly over retail price for much longer.

Just now, Feanor said:

I'm seeing more and more of these in the wild as well. My local Toys'r'us had three of these (even if well hidden on top of the shelves behind Star Wars ad-banners, and Kaufhof got some a few times this week, both online and in the store.

I'd only buy with a decent discount at the moment. Don't think this will flip for significantly over retail price for much longer.

Yeah, you wonder how many have gone into the hands of resellers vs end consumers and if there is a time bomb building up.

Xmas demand will be interesting to see as an indicator for post EOL.

I reckon TLG will eventually overproduce it and flood the market and there should be reasonable pickings at deep discouny by this time next year.

Guest TabbyBoy
7 minutes ago, Val-E said:

Everyone knows that all the good stuff in TRU is never visible at first sight.........

Same at Smyths, all the mint boxes are on the top shelf and the sticky/tatty ones lower down.

Guest TabbyBoy

I just had stock alert email and 21309 is back in stock now at John Lewis online. I bought 5 just now. Not all for me! ;-)

Be quick before the miserable HUKD brigade clean them out!

On 12 October 2017 at 7:30 PM, TabbyBoy said:

I just had stock alert email and 21309 is back in stock now at John Lewis online. I bought 5 just now. Not all for me! ;-)

Be quick before the miserable HUKD brigade clean them out!

?

On 12 October 2017 at 7:46 PM, Villager Chris said:

Probably be back in stock at Lego when double VIP points end. 

?

Guest TabbyBoy
54 minutes ago, Legolassy said:

These have and continue to be good for me.  Even if you make $30-50 per set x however many sets you have sold still works well math wise...

They'll be very very very very very good to you if you wait until a year post EOL. It's the most in demand IDEAS set ever so we can expect great things ;-)

I have a few spares. but I'll not even think of selling until I clear over £100 profit each.

They'll be very very very very very good to you if you wait until a year post EOL. It's the most in demand IDEAS set ever so we can expect great things ;-)
I have a few spares. but I'll not even think of selling until I clear over £100 profit each.

No you don’t, you stopped buying.
  • Like 4
  • Haha 2

Guest TabbyBoy
29 minutes ago, exciter1 said:

No you don’t, you stopped buying.

I'm buying to help out mates and family, I've bought 10x 21309 so far and I've still got only 3. However... if I do start investing again, I will go in VERY BIG (100+) on these as soon as I see them in stock. Why bother buying any other sets for investment if this is the biggest no-brainer since the Mars Rover? This will be a very rare set in the UK as TRU, Smyths, Asda, Tesco, etc. would've been stocking them by now otherwise. Because the buying limits have been <5, I can't see them being hoarded all that much. LEGO have bigger fish to fry than to produce many more of these. I'll make it to the end of the year which is what I originally intended.

Remember, it's "only" £109.99 in the UK which is a bargain!

UK ONLY... John Lewis ran out earlier and now have more in stock. Buy in 4's so that you get 2x factory boxes of 2. the 5th will be in a bin liner ;-)

• Alpinemaps changed the title to Ideas #017: 21309/92176 - NASA Apollo Saturn V