Ideas #017: 21309/92176 - NASA Apollo Saturn V

exciter1

I ordered one from Amazon (limit 1 in US) when it came in stock late last week - it showed up today, no shipping box, shipping label and other tags slapped on the Lego box, extra packing tape wrapped around it, box dinged up, etc. I used rewards $ to snag it for well under retail so I'm reluctant to set up a return not knowing when I'll be able to get that "make your own deal" again. What's the consensus - is this so scarce that even a banged up one like this will still give a good return in 3-5 years, or should I send it back and wait for a fresh batch?

Also, when did Amazon start going Wal-Mart and forego putting Lego in shipping boxes? I'm at least going to complain to customer service. Not cool.

2 minutes ago, stoltzjl77 said:

I ordered one from Amazon (limit 1 in US) when it came in stock late last week - it showed up today, no shipping box, shipping label and other tags slapped on the Lego box, extra packing tape wrapped around it, box dinged up, etc. I used rewards $ to snag it for well under retail so I'm reluctant to set up a return not knowing when I'll be able to get that "make your own deal" again. What's the consensus - is this so scarce that even a banged up one like this will still give a good return in 3-5 years, or should I send it back and wait for a fresh batch?

Also, when did Amazon start going Wal-Mart and forego putting Lego in shipping boxes? I'm at least going to complain to customer service. Not cool.

Boxes that are gashed split and breaking are basically selling for $10 less than a mint one so if you got a good deal not worth it to me.  

I sold one just in sealed bags during the peak time for a few bucks less than ones in good boxes.  

Personally wouldn't waste a return to Amazon on that.  Just let them know you aren't happy they didn't use a box.  I would definitely make them aware of that.  

55 minutes ago, ravenb99 said:

Boxes that are gashed split and breaking are basically selling for $10 less than a mint one so if you got a good deal not worth it to me.  

I sold one just in sealed bags during the peak time for a few bucks less than ones in good boxes.  

Personally wouldn't waste a return to Amazon on that.  Just let them know you aren't happy they didn't use a box.  I would definitely make them aware of that.  

After getting one from Amazon without a box, I sent it Back. "Whenever I order one now I call Amazon up and tell them I want it sent in a box, and the last 3 have come in one of those perfect Lego Boxes and all were mint, So if you get one on Amazon call them up right away and them them. Here is the shortcut phone number.   1-866-216-1072

• Like 5

48 minutes ago, emazers said:

After getting one from Amazon without a box, I sent it Back. "Whenever I order one now I call Amazon up and tell them I want it sent in a box, and the last 3 have come in one of those perfect Lego Boxes and all were mint, So if you get one on Amazon call them up right away and them them. Here is the shortcut phone number.   1-866-216-1072

There is also an option to ship it inside another box on the checkout page. It's a gift option though.

Edited by bigboy61

2 hours ago, stoltzjl77 said:

Just my .02 but I don’t think this set is going anywhere soon and I’ve also been seeing the same consensus posted around so if you did return it I’m sure you’d be able to grab one again at some point no problem. That being said, I can’t see the future - maybe this will be a sub 1 year run I just HIGHLY doubt it.

2 hours ago, stoltzjl77 said:

i also had a similar experience.  the previous 5 frustration-free packages came in their own sealed mini-lego carton.  so i finally have one to build :) 

7 minutes ago, tlcliff7 said:

Just my .02 but I don’t think this set is going anywhere soon and I’ve also been seeing the same consensus posted around so if you did return it I’m sure you’d be able to grab one again at some point no problem. That being said, I can’t see the future - maybe this will be a sub 1 year run I just HIGHLY doubt it.

just because it's in production doesn't mean it will be easy to acquire in bulk.  it's been in production 4 months already.  demand is no where near met and that can't even offer any to sell.  definitely that's more than 10% of its life has passed by  if you were to say that the set was going to stick around for 38 months which would be a long production life.  how many more 10%'s before you start to get worried that you hadn't been stocking quite possibly the coolest lego set of all time for afol?

also if you read between the lines, emazer's is hoarding saturn's to the point that he's on the phone with amazon telling jeff how he'd like things done.  

Edited by cladner
  • Like 2
  • Haha 1

3 hours ago, stoltzjl77 said:

Was it sold by Amazon or just fullfilled by them?  That sux.  My last big set from them was packed fine... except loose in the bigger box.  My Saturn v from Lego sah was awesome.  Outer box, then the Lego carton, and the shelf unit.  Haven't seen them pack the Lego carton inside another box before.

2 hours ago, cladner said:

just because it's in production doesn't mean it will be easy to acquire in bulk.  it's been in production 4 months already.  demand is no where near met and that can't even offer any to sell.  definitely that's more than 10% of its life has passed by  if you were to say that the set was going to stick around for 38 months which would be a long production life.  how many more 10%'s before you start to get worried that you hadn't been stocking quite possibly the coolest lego set of all time for afol?

also if you read between the lines, emazer's is hoarding saturn's to the point that he's on the phone with amazon telling jeff how he'd like things done.  

Very good point - I wasn’t thinking of in bulk purchases, more like 1 - 3 sets total.

• Like 1

Thanks for all the advice. I have complained to Amazon both about the packaging (There was none!!!) and about the order. They are offering me a 30% refund if I keep it. I think I will keep it and build it. I'll still be snagging as many as I can get. Normally I'm a QFLL'ing fool looking for cash flow, but this is one set I'm buying and holding. I'm certain even a "used" version of this set built for display will appreciate just fine and with the buy-in price I'll end up with, I'll get well over what I paid for it if I ever decide to sell it after it retires to the secondary market. (This of course is the problem with being a fan first and investor second - one can always talk oneself into opening a box!).

• Like 1

9 hours ago, flynnibus said:

Was it sold by Amazon or just fullfilled by them?  That sux.  My last big set from them was packed fine... except loose in the bigger box.  My Saturn v from Lego sah was awesome.  Outer box, then the Lego carton, and the shelf unit.  Haven't seen them pack the Lego carton inside another box before.

It was sold by Amazon, LLC, and came from an Amazon warehouse.
The only other one I've gotten from Amazon came in the LEGO carton, which was fine because it is a very sturdy box. The two I got from SAH were also shipped in the LEGO carton but inside a shipping box as well. I've never seen Amazon ship LEGO without a shipping box before, so this was a nasty surprise.

• Like 2

Finally built mine yesterday/today.

Gotta say, there was a lot of ambiguity in the instructions.... especially with things not visible in the diagrams.  I found myself uncertain multiple times in the Stage 1 part of the build.  The upper stages were much easier to build.

I liked a lot of the piece variety, and the build certainly is not too repetitious for such a symmetric build.  Was not a fan of alot of the build techniques (in terms of stability as you went..) but the final build is very nice in your hand.

• Like 1

I called amazon CS regarding the Stress Free set they sent just slapping the label on the box....... I had decided i would keep it.... but I called them

and they offered to exchange it... i hinted that I would rather have a discount than have to ship it back and they gave me 20% back.....  

Not bad for a 3 minute conversation....

• Like 2

2 hours ago, andyposterfan said:

I have never seen this available on the UK SaH website. Always OOS. They have had so long to solve the supply issues but don't.

it just defies logic. Demand is so high yet all they do is produce sets where there is no demand. There's no excuse really, they can decide which bricks to churn out from their factories after all.

Indeed. Now that the new wave of Star Wars sets has been sorted for weeks, I fail to see what set should be a higher priority than this one. Fortunately I managed to backorder one at the end of August so I finally have a copy, but I think that was the last time it was available from them. John Lewis had some recently, but they didn't last very long.

42 minutes ago, Captain_chaos said:

Indeed. Now that the new wave of Star Wars sets has been sorted for weeks, I fail to see what set should be a higher priority than this one. Fortunately I managed to backorder one at the end of August so I finally have a copy, but I think that was the last time it was available from them. John Lewis had some recently, but they didn't last very long.

Nexo is ALWAYS number one priority for Lego.

6 hours ago, andyposterfan said:

I have never seen this available on the UK SaH website. Always OOS. They have had so long to solve the supply issues but don't.

it just defies logic. Demand is so high yet all they do is produce sets where there is no demand. There's no excuse really, they can decide which bricks to churn out from their factories after all.

Always available in my local Lego store so I have to offer these at a tempting cash price.

• Alpinemaps changed the title to Ideas #017: 21309/92176 - NASA Apollo Saturn V