Ideas #017: 21309/92176 - NASA Apollo Saturn V

exciter1

Had to contact Lego customer service in regards to an order that didn't have 2x VIP applied on Force Friday. And for the first time (for me) they specifically called out one of my purchases of 21309 and gave me a link to an ideas article. It may have been automated, but still.. i'm thinking they love this set.

"And finally, in reviewing your account I see that you purchased the iconic LEGO® NASA Apollo Saturn V set 21309 when you visited on September 1-how exciting! Be sure to check out the great article about the collaborative design of this set at https://www.lego.com/en-us/ideasproducts/explore/nasa-apollo-saturn-v"

Just a heads up - and this may have already been said - but I talked to an employee at my local Lego store and they said this set isn't going anywhere soon AKA not retiring, it just came out like...June? They mentioned that because it's such a well priced set that people are buying it like crazy but the supply will catch up with the demand.

27 minutes ago, tlcliff7 said:

Just a heads up - and this may have already been said - but I talked to an employee at my local Lego store and they said this set isn't going anywhere soon AKA not retiring, it just came out like...June? They mentioned that because it's such a well priced set that people are buying it like crazy but the supply will catch up with the demand.

Well, my local Lego store employee said , that they got a second shipment and that was it...... no more....

Employees really don't know.....

1 hour ago, boliramirez said:

Well, my local Lego store employee said , that they got a second shipment and that was it...... no more....

Employees really don't know.....

That's a fair point. However, due to the fact that this set was released June 1st 2017, I don't think it would retire soon. If it retired at the end of this month that's a 4 month lifespan on a product that people can't get enough of. I will admit, I'm not an expert, but what's the shortest running Lego set?

What would Lego gain from retiring this set so soon? Even if it was at the end of this year? They'd lose money. Just me .02 though!

That's a fair point. However, due to the fact that this set was released June 1st 2017, I don't think it would retire soon. If it retired at the end of this month that's a 4 month lifespan on a product that people can't get enough of. I will admit, I'm not an expert, but what's the shortest running Lego set?
What would Lego gain from retiring this set so soon? Even if it was at the end of this year? They'd lose money. Just me .02 though!

I don't know about the absolute shortest, but, according to Brickset, The Zombies was available for three months.

1 hour ago, tlcliff7 said:

Research Institute was a hugely popular set featured on the front of the new york times and cnn.

it had a production life from August 2014 - December -2014.

why would they limit production of such a small relatively simple set that was hugely popular but very difficult to come by for only 4-5 months?

you just have to buy them when they are available and take the risk.  

given the previous track record of inability to maintain stock, 21309 will likely continue to be difficult to come by.

Edited by cladner

3 hours ago, cladner said:

Research Institute was a hugely popular set featured on the front of the new york times and cnn.

it had a production life from August 2014 - December -2014.

why would they limit production of such a small relatively simple set that was hugely popular but very difficult to come by for only 4-5 months?

you just have to buy them when they are available and take the risk.  

given the previous track record of inability to maintain stock, 21309 will likely continue to be difficult to come by.

Interesting - I did not know that! Thanks for the information. I got lucky and found and found some at my local Lego store recently. I only purchased one but now you've got me thinking... :D

2 hours ago, fantomas007 said:

Its unbelievable that TLG is unable to fulfil the demand for this set 3 months. We can expect same shame with new falcon...

They were too busy making Falcons. Now they are making Saturns so no Falcons.

Plenty of (worth) Nexto Naught sets around if you are stuck for something to build.

Edited by Val-E

• Alpinemaps changed the title to Ideas #017: 21309/92176 - NASA Apollo Saturn V