Ideas #017: 21309/92176 - NASA Apollo Saturn V

exciter1

Guest TabbyBoy

UK people... Do any of you know if 21309 is exclusive to LEGO and John Lewis only? I only ask as I'd have expected TRU and Smyths to have listed them by now. This seems like Mars Rover all over again to me and those selling for under £250 now may live to regret it.

Remember, if NASA ever announce something to change human history (VERY unlikely), can you imagine the demand for this?

I have one built and one boxed, the boxed one ain't leaving me for less than 3x RRP!

5 minutes ago, inversion said:

I call BS on this ghost story. LEGO is not going to embrace the PR disaster such a move would cause. This set is going to be produced well into 2018.

Yeah, they put 2 and 2 together and made 1969. It´s not credible reporting by Promobricks with a lot of assumptions and no evidence or proper sources. Maybe the author still has stock to sell.

4 minutes ago, mauro23 said:

What the hell is BS???

my avatar.

Edited by Val-E

19 minutes ago, Val-E said:

my avatar.

NNu7z5.gif

Created by a bull. :camp:  this emoji just looks like sh*t on fire :laugh:

- used to call one out on a lie or any statement laking truth.   

"That is total BS you can swim faster than a shark, prove it!

- also used to express utter dislike 

"Its complete BS the professor assigned the case study on Monday and due Tuesday!"

Edited by BricksBrotha

2 minutes ago, mauro23 said:

Should we bet?

I think we need to get some credible reasons WHY they would stop making it first. The article doesn´t give a single one. Are TLG losing money on it? Is the licence about to expire? Do they have a similar product lined up to replace it? Why else stop production?

Haha, I know what the Lego plan is.. they just keep it Shop at Home exclusive from now on. Why provide stock to (large) retailers like Galeria, if Lego can sell the entire production runs within a few days and keep the profits for themselves. This set will definitely come back, I beleive it's a money printing machine at the moment.. they don't even have the burden of keeping it stocked in warehouses, once produced they can directly ship it to customers.

If it goes EOL at this moment, it's like Val-E says their should be really really goed reasons for it, and the only one I can think of is purely technical or licensing.

19 minutes ago, Val-E said:

I think we need to get some credible reasons WHY they would stop making it first. The article doesn´t give a single one. Are TLG losing money on it? Is the licence about to expire? Do they have a similar product lined up to replace it? Why else stop production?

Only reason I can imagine is having committed capacity to something else, or the set not turning enough profit. Former is only a short term issue, latter is more serious. IDEAS sets are part PR, and not necessarily have to turn great profit. Saturn is a great value, which might mean bad value for LEGO. Producing (relatively to other sets) low margin product is something they do not want to propagate.

10 minutes ago, JM123 said:

Haha, I know what the Lego plan is.. they just keep it Shop at Home exclusive from now on. Why provide stock to (large) retailers like Galeria, if Lego can sell the entire production runs within a few days and keep the profits for themselves.

That´s the exact polar opposite of what they have been doing up till now.

7 minutes ago, inversion said:

Only reason I can imagine is having committed capacity to something else, or the set not turning enough profit. Former is only a short term issue, latter is more serious. IDEAS sets are part PR, and not necessarily have to turn great profit. Saturn is a great value, which might mean bad value for LEGO. Producing (relatively to other sets) low margin product is something they do not want to propagate.

Yeah, the profit issue is possible, as I alluded to previously, but you would think they´d have studied that before final production. They saved a lot on R+D costs being and Ideas set too and Old Fishing Store seems to have a similar PPC with lots of small standard parts, like Saturn.

1 hour ago, Val-E said:

maybe because if they produced for actual demand of this set it would disrupt production schedules for other themes  even though these rockets sell better than anything, they can't just produce only these rockets.  so they produce the amount they planned on doing , do  a second run and maybe another run sometime next year.   then pull the plug.  the change in language on the website is identical to what happened with research  institute which  also demonstrated a similar pattern of inability to maintain any online stock for any duration.   everyone who is so sure about availability throughout 2018 just because of what someone read on the internet or what some corporate guy was quoted as stating really needs to  think again.  of course they are going to say that. what happens  if the guy comes out and says, well actually we are only going to do 2 more runs so make sure to get one quick.  that will not go over well.  

Edited by cladner
  • Like 2

1 hour ago, cladner said:

maybe because if they produced for actual demand of this set it would disrupt production schedules for other themes  even though these rockets sell better than anything, they can't just produce only these rockets.  so they produce the amount they planned on doing , do  a second run and maybe another run sometime next year.   then pull the plug.  the change in language on the website is identical to what happened with research  institute which  also demonstrated a similar pattern of inability to maintain any online stock for any duration.   everyone who is so sure about availability throughout 2018 just because of what someone read on the internet or what some corporate guy was quoted as stating really needs to  think again.  of course they are going to say that. what happens  if the guy comes out and says, well actually we are only going to do 2 more runs so make sure to get one quick.  that will not go over well.  

Will be interesting to see what happens.  I remember someone saying on reddit there would be three runs, one in june, one in august and one in october...so far what I am seeing doesnt match any of that...

26 minutes ago, Legolassy said:

Will be interesting to see what happens.  I remember someone saying on reddit there would be three runs, one in june, one in august and one in october...so far what I am seeing doesnt match any of that...

does that *someone* has proved credibility?

5 hours ago, TabbyBoy said:

UK people... Do any of you know if 21309 is exclusive to LEGO and John Lewis only? I only ask as I'd have expected TRU and Smyths to have listed them by now. This seems like Mars Rover all over again to me and those selling for under £250 now may live to regret it.

Remember, if NASA ever announce something to change human history (VERY unlikely), can you imagine the demand for this?

I have one built and one boxed, the boxed one ain't leaving me for less than 3x RRP!

I believe Nasa Saturn V will be available until Women's of NASA will be released as a new IDEAS set in 2018. Your dooms day scenarios are unlikely.

1 hour ago, cladner said:

I hope they are slightly more innovative than that.  Commercially, this may be arguably their greatest achievement to date. I mean, how do you gauge demand at this point?  All units sell out at an average of only 826 units/per hour v. a few months ago at 943 units/per hour?  They have to make adjustments.  Seems crazy to me they would bag production to make way for undesirable 2018 TLBM sets.

Guest TabbyBoy
10 minutes ago, Shewie said:

I believe Nasa Saturn V will be available until Women's of NASA will be released as a new IDEAS set in 2018. Your dooms day scenarios are unlikely.

That's why I've held some Research Institutes back as I think these will do even better once the NASA women are out.

I reckon this set will be done by November. The evidence is that Lego cannot produce enough sets and are fully aware that people  are buying more than one to resell. One thing I know about Lego is how sensitive they are to their image, particularly with families. 

Is it easier to kill it, admit defeat and focus on other lines? No more grumbles from customers. 

That said, I don't know why Lego didn't have a limit of 2 (even one) per customer when last week's fresh batch became available. It was either:

• Short-sighted;
  • Stupid;
  • Intentional to sell out quickly. 

Anyway, that's my take. 

• Confused 1

• Alpinemaps changed the title to Ideas #017: 21309/92176 - NASA Apollo Saturn V