Jump to content

42056 - Porsche 911 GT3 RS


Recommended Posts

  • Replies 953
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Wow, what a way to quickly negate any valid points you may have previously made in this thread.

LEGO Technic Porsche 911 GT3 RS coming off.

So everyone buys 1/mo X 24 mo X 10,000 members .. Yeah that sounds like a great plan for the set to appreciate ... 

Posted Images

18 minutes ago, TheGallows said:

Anyone know if this is this done to the same scale as the 24hr race car?

It's not exactly the same scale, dimensions for the 24h real car are from the LMP1 regulations

  REAL  LEGO
Porsche 911 4.4m x 1.8m 57cm x 25 cm
LMP1 Max. 4.6m x 1.9m 48cm x 21 cm

As you can see, the real Porsche is the smallest of the two cars, with a larger LEGO set.

Edited by Pomodoro
  • Like 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, Pomodoro said:

Absolutely, it's just that  @Val-E and @Ed Mack were both correct regarding the "status" of the actual car. The LEGO set's popularity is an entirely different discussion.

Mini, Fiat/Seat 500, Vw Beetle, Citroen 2Cv are all classic people cars from the post war boorm period and were many families´ first vehicles in Europe. Because we didn´t have a free market back then, each country had its national people car. I don´t believe that there was one such car in the US  - the Model T would have been the closest thing, as you guys had little war rebuilding to do and were much more advanced than us back then you already had multiple car makers offering different models and the Mustang v Corvette battle was about to commence.

The Mini is recognised in any European country but  Legosales are not accompanying that recognition here either, perhaps the car has failed to appeal to non petrol heads.

The Porsche won´t have that problem as it is a worldwide success and is arguably more recognisable than one single Ferrari.

Edited by Val-E
  • Like 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
3 hours ago, tjj1984 said:

I think the word that bridges the gap between classic and nostalgic is iconic.

I was going to say the same thing. I first became aware of the Mini Cooper from that Marky Mark movie. I don't remember seeing one in person until 2010.

That wasn't a movie it was a complete travesty and that's not really a mini either.  Both cheap ass, crap copies of the originals.

It's a legendary car in Europe. Probably one of the most successful cars in motorsport running the monte carlo one week and battling mustangs and ford galaxie 500's in touring car championships the next.

Even so 10242 hasn't done great in Europe.  The reason.  The chose the wrong model and the wrong colour. If they'd done a 60's cooper s in Red, White or Blue it would have been a bigger winner.  But the chintzy  90's model in british racing green with a picnic basket, yuck. I Finally, reluctantly ordered one this week to use vip points and get another Mr freeze but I'll be using the kit to turn it into a countryman asap.

To keep things on topic. Based on the above i think lego should have done this porsche in white with red details.  Still buying it though. 

Edited by Fenix_2k1
  • Like 5
Link to post
Share on other sites
12 minutes ago, Fenix_2k1 said:

That wasn't a movie it was a complete travesty and that's not really a mini either.  Both cheap ass, crap copies of the originals.

It's a legendary car in Europe. Probably one of the most successful cars in motorsport running the monte carlo one week and battling mustangs and ford galaxie 500's in touring car championships the next.

Even so 10242 hasn't done great in Europe.  The reason.  The chose the wrong model and the wrong colour. If they'd done a 60's cooper s in Red, White or Blue it would have been a bigger winner.  But the chintzy  90's model in british racing green with a picnic basket, yuck. I Finally, reluctantly ordered one this week to use vip points and get another Mr freeze but I'll be using the kit to turn it into a countryman asap.

To keep things on topic. Based on the above i think lego should have done this porsche in white with red details.  Still buying it though. 

Yep, something like this. I can dream..

10242mod_05

 

 

  • Like 3
Link to post
Share on other sites
51 minutes ago, Val-E said:

Mini, Fiat/Seat 500, Vw Beetle, Citroen 2Cv are all classic people cars from the post war boorm period and were many families´ first vehicles in Europe. Because we didn´t have a free market back then, each country had its national people car. I don´t believe that there was one such car in the US  - the Model T would have been the closest thing, as you guys had little war rebuilding to do and were much more advanced than us back then you already had multiple car makers offering different models and the Mustang v Corvette battle was about to commence.

The Mini is recognised in any European country but  Legosales are not accompanying that recognition here either, perhaps the car has failed to appeal to non petrol heads.

The Porsche won´t have that problem as it is a worldwide success and is arguably more recognisable than one single Ferrari.

When it comes to cars, nothing says USA louder than Corvette. 

Link to post
Share on other sites

This is the first Technic set I've looked at and had to have. I'll be buying one early. As for investment....seems like it will be fun to see if there is any way to get it for below retail price before the holidays, because it's almost certainly going to sell out before December. I'm not sure The Tumbler is a perfect comparison, but it's the most recent big set that seems like a "must have" with relatively wide appeal.

Link to post
Share on other sites
3 minutes ago, dcdfan said:

Just wait for the "I just just bought my first investment set, the Porsche 911!" posts...

This set is better than the Tumbler IMHO, but way to early for an investment. No doubt some will buy too early with all the excitement of this new set.

Link to post
Share on other sites

-well,  i got in when the tumbler retired, so this seems like a logical stepping stone for me!  -being in Los Angeles, I don't bother to troll around and look for lego.    I think Ed's idea of putting a 911 away every other month or so is an excellent strategy.     I would imagine the $300 price tag will turn off a lot folks off, which is fine with me.    I don't want to be scrambling for it when it does retire buying whatever I can find (like i did with the tumbler)(nore will i have to come up with $3300 for 10 of them at one time).   Chance favors those prepared.    As always.... thanks for everyones input.      pp / Craig

Link to post
Share on other sites
32 minutes ago, plastic passion said:

-well,  i got in when the tumbler retired, so this seems like a logical stepping stone for me!  -being in Los Angeles, I don't bother to troll around and look for lego.    I think Ed's idea of putting a 911 away every other month or so is an excellent strategy.     I would imagine the $300 price tag will turn off a lot folks off, which is fine with me.    I don't want to be scrambling for it when it does retire buying whatever I can find (like i did with the tumbler)(nore will i have to come up with $3300 for 10 of them at one time).   Chance favors those prepared.    As always.... thanks for everyones input.      pp / Craig

The $300 MSRP shall also turn off a lot of folks POST-EOL.If the price is already perceived too high by regular buyers while the set is on the market, it might become difficult to grow a lot more beyond those $300 when retired.

  • Like 2
Link to post
Share on other sites
37 minutes ago, Frank Brickowski said:

The $300 MSRP shall also turn off a lot of folks POST-EOL.If the price is already perceived too high by regular buyers while the set is on the market, it might become difficult to grow a lot more beyond those $300 when retired.

There is one thing I have learned over my many years of reselling, and that is if an AFOL wants it bad enough, no price is too high. 

  • Like 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
The $300 MSRP shall also turn off a lot of folks POST-EOL.If the price is already perceived too high by regular buyers while the set is on the market, it might become difficult to grow a lot more beyond those $300 when retired.

SSD says hi.

Link to post
Share on other sites

I'm not sure the price will overly bother people, plenty of people on this forum went deep on the DS and the SC all in the same price bracket, even new investors headed straight for the SC.  If people speak highly about a set on here, the hoarde strikes.  You can't get a gold bar for $300 dollars you know !!! 

  • Like 1
Link to post
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.
Note: Your post will require moderator approval before it will be visible.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

Loading...
  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    No registered users viewing this page.




×
×
  • Create New...