10254 - Winter Holiday Train

DadsAFOL

1 minute ago, siddji said:

I am waiting to see how this train will affect values of the older holiday train 10173. I would assume them dropping from the $400-$500+ range to the $200 range 

I can't see it dropping the much. They really are fairly different sets, with a different target audience. Like I said a few days ago, there's such a limited supply of NISB 10173s out there, that I think the prices will stay somewhat stable. You might see a dip in prices for 10173 this year and maybe even next year, but in the long run, I think it will be fine.

• Like 3

10 minutes ago, Deadfraggle said:

I can't see it dropping the much. They really are fairly different sets, with a different target audience. Like I said a few days ago, there's such a limited supply of NISB 10173s out there, that I think the prices will stay somewhat stable. You might see a dip in prices for 10173 this year and maybe even next year, but in the long run, I think it will be fine.

i think 10254's impact to 10173 will be similar to what happened with the first 2 batcaves.  (i typed this a couple pages ago).

after the 10254 hoopla has died down, 1) folks will remember once again 10173 is pretty scarce due to it's limited run and 2) it's still better than 10254 in many ways. 

to me 10254, looks more like a refresh to the Toy Story train set than 10173.

s 10254 Winter Holiday Train c26-B003DTMQAW-3-l.jpg

• Like 3

10 minutes ago, jaylay said:

I'm in for a few. I guess the old holiday train is safe. One can get pieces from Toy Story's and Lone Rangers trains to lengthen this. Would be nuts. Hopefully this bumps up the price of Lone Ranger train.

Counting on the LR trains to go up as well 

I think this has a very good shot at selling out. Most parents buying this for little Timmy will have no idea about 10173, released a decade ago. This will be completely new to them. It's a train and it's Christmas. I like it.

I would say there's a good shot at an even greater power functions shortage as well (many of the parts are on back order at this moment). So there may be an opportunity there to sell them separately or as a bundle with the set.

Edited by P_R_Rice

Battery Box (ideally Lithium-Ion, but that'll set you back $50 plus $20 for the charger) ($13)

IR receiver ($15)

Train Motor ($14)

IR Remote control. ($13)

So $55 plus tax & shipping to motorize it.

How many people out there buying this set will actually want to motorized this? The average Timmy. Collectors will prolly already have spare power functions to swap in. An extra $55 is a lot to add to this set to make a decent profit right now.

5 minutes ago, jaylay said:

How many people out there buying this set will actually want to motorized this? The average Timmy. Collectors will prolly already have spare power functions to swap in. An extra $55 is a lot to add to this set to make a decent profit right now.

It would not surprise me if the first memo that the designer got showed "it needs to be Power Functions ready !!!!!!!!!" (or whatever the equivalent in Danish :P )

Just now, dcdfan said:

I just watched the video and I gotta say I love this set. I think the price is fair and I like that you need to spend more for power functions because otherwise, it would've been more costly. Good product and fair price, for now (in evil voice tone).

I don't know man.  He missed the memo about including a helicopter in every LEGO set :drag: 

Although I have to admit I like the little robot

• Like 3