10254 - Winter Holiday Train

DadsAFOL

4 hours ago, lego rules said:

Thanks for your opinion.  The problem I have which likely is the same for many people; we don't have the 10173.  So IMO there is no choice but to get the 10254.

Very good point.

I believe this is the same reason why 75159 is reported selling well (hail to SAH's marketing department), and "ya should buy train" will still hold for this set.

This was a very popular set when i was at the lego shop this weekend, alot of parents talking about it being a great present for their kids.

However, alot of people were also getting confused on how many power functions were needed to motorize it, even though  the set numbers are listed on the box, they don't really mean much to the average buyer, and most weren't to happy to spend the same amount of money on pf than the set.

That being said it is still a great seller and should be the best winter set this year.

Guest TabbyBoy

I'm now wishing that I bought Power Functions kits when I saw them half price last year. It would've been nice to offload them for RRP+ ready for Xmas.

9 minutes ago, TabbyBoy said:

I'm now wishing that I bought Power Functions kits when I saw them half price last year. It would've been nice to offload them for RRP+ ready for Xmas.

If you're talking about 8293, that would not have helped much as neither the motor nor the battery box would fit the train. The components needed to power the holiday train are all sold individually.

4 hours ago, lego rules said:

Thanks for your opinion.  The problem I have which likely is the same for many people; we don't have the 10173.  So IMO there is no choice but to get the 10254.

I did preface my opinion with being disappointed in the set because I own 10173 and this is still better than no train.  The Lego store has been selling lots of these and they had all of the power functions behind the counter ready to sell to consumers.  The other thing is that the set doesn't come with any train baseplates so there isn't any part out value to this set either.

I think that most people here can sell a couple of things and buy the 10173 instead because it's a superior train (or buy both).

• Like 1

I did preface my opinion with being disappointed in the set because I own 10173 and this is still better than no train.  The Lego store has been selling lots of these and they had all of the power functions behind the counter ready to sell to consumers.  The other thing is that the set doesn't come with any train baseplates so there isn't any part out value to this set either.
I think that most people here can sell a couple of things and buy the 10173 instead because it's a superior train (or buy both).

Do we have an article on here? Is 10173 easy to Bricklink? I might go ahead and do that anyway.

18 minutes ago, redghostx said:

10173 is quite rare and even more rare in Canada.  I would rather spend $800 or more on other things than to buy a NISB 10173.  Can always go the used route for about half price which doesn`t interest me either.  It would be better to buy a couple of 10254 and combine them to build a better train.  I am sure there will be some MOC`s coming out improving it in the near future.

• Like 2

3 minutes ago, exciter1 said:

Do we have an article on here? Is 10173 easy to Bricklink? I might go ahead and do that anyway.

I proposed it as a subject in the series of articles. Difficult parts are the red train bases and some of the figures (minifigures, cat, rabbit, mouse) plus the books. And those who want to be perfect will have issues with windows too.

I bricklinked mine last year (fall 2015) and ended up spending $250 including shipping, but then did a few extra purchases to make it "real", including the manuals ($50). So my total was closer to $350.

• Like 1

I proposed it as a subject in the series of articles. Difficult parts are the red train bases and some of the figures (minifigures, cat, rabbit, mouse) plus the books. And those who want to be perfect will have issues with windows too.
I bricklinked mine last year (fall 2015) and ended up spending $250 including shipping, but then did a few extra purchases to make it "real", including the manuals ($50). So my total was closer to $350.

I'd probably skip on the fancy stuff, since I usually mod our displays and play items anyway. Thanks

Just now, Phil B said:

It's expensive to Bricklink 10173 compared to buying a used one.

8 minutes ago, exciter1 said:

The rare parts are:

The red baseplate (only in this set)

The Black Roof Tiles (form the centre of the car)

The motorcycle

The books (red, purple, brown)

The red umbrella pole (lance)

The doors: green and white versions

The animals

White window panels

and the windows (only available in old train sets but subs may be available at Lego in new mold for some of them)

• Like 2

21 minutes ago, redghostx said:

It's expensive to Bricklink 10173 compared to buying a used one.

I'm seeing $400-$600 on EBay US, $410 as the only listing on BL (excludes postage and postage insurance). Prices on the rare parts might have increased in the meanwhile (I had to buy my train baseplates in europe as they were very difficult to find) so that might explain your statement, but when I BL'ed it last year I was aiming to save $100. Which I initially did, but then I got carried away :)

1 hour ago, exciter1 said:

It's a tough one to Bricklink.  The car baseplate are expensive, as are one or two other parts.  I've had a pile of parts in a bag for a 10173 for a long time, even having TLR's Constitution Train and this new one coming.

I'm undecided on continuing the 10173 build now that this set it out.  I'm considering adding the one Constitution Train I set aside for a Christmas train to my "to sell" inventory, and abandoning plans to BL 10173.  I think I'm going to be happy enough with 10254.  I also doubt I'll be adding Power Function anytime soon.

• Like 2

30 minutes ago, BP said:

Anyone have a clue if the older power functions are sufficient to power this train? 

For example the 9v system used in 7938 Passenger train. 

My guess is yes because I converted the 10173 from 9V to RC and it runs the same under both power sources.  You may not be able to run this on full power under 9V because it's such a small and light train, depending on the severity of your curves (I like 2 curves, 1-2 straight, 2 curves to run at maximum velocity).

24 minutes ago, redghostx said:

My guess is yes because I converted the 10173 from 9V to RC and it runs the same under both power sources.  You may not be able to run this on full power under 9V because it's such a small and light train, depending on the severity of your curves (I like 2 curves, 1-2 straight, 2 curves to run at maximum velocity).

Don't forget that you would need 9V track to make 10254 work with a 9V motor. The track that comes with the set is all plastic, and you need the no longer available metal track instead, plus a speed regulator. Of course if you have this already, you're good to go, and performance should be the same if not slightly better with 9V. 

Forgive me if this has been answered already.

I am thinking of buying 2 of these sets and combining the tracks for a larger course, and simultaneously running 2 trains at once.  This is feasible and I simply have to purchase 2 complete power function sets correct?  Curious if others have tried this or if anyone have better suggestions.  Thanks!

Forgive me if this has been answered already.
I am thinking of buying 2 of these sets and combining the tracks for a larger course, and simultaneously running 2 trains at once.  This is feasible and I simply have to purchase 2 complete power function sets correct?  Curious if others have tried this or if anyone have better suggestions.  Thanks!

I think that you are better served by purchasing some straight track because a loop with only 32 curved pieces will not work very well. You can run two of these trains on one motor as the train is small enough but I think that it will look weird because of the train composition - in my opinion, you can better use the $100 to complement the train in other ways (MOC a passenger car for example).

I'll try and take a picture tomorrow and post it when I get home from work.
  • Like 1

• 3 weeks later...