10254 - Winter Holiday Train

DadsAFOL

6 hours ago, Beef said:

Is it weird that I'm considering grabbing this set

just to grab the PF components and put them into the holiday train set?

(set is on sale at Target for $135.99, reg. $199.99)

I approve of the idea but maybe not the price. These sets can be had quite a bit cheaper and there is no rush as the xmas train isn´t out yet. 60097 is another option

7 hours ago, Val-E said:

I approve of the idea but maybe not the price. These sets can be had quite a bit cheaper and there is no rush as the xmas train isn´t out yet. 60097 is another option

Hmm, but 60097 (city square) doesn't come with Power Functions included, has no track included and is currently more expensive. (At least that I've noticed) 

• Like 1

On 8/7/2016 at 2:45 AM, Beef said:

Is it weird that I'm considering grabbing this set

just to grab the PF components and put them into the holiday train set?

(set is on sale at Target for $135.99, reg. $199.99)

I'm doing just this. Well, I bought some because a local Walmart had 60052 on clearance for $50/each last year. But none the less, I kept one for myself and plan to use it for my Ghost Train and maybe I'll do it for this one as well. Though I like the thought of a more Polar Express type of train, so I may just try to MOC that for Christmas.

I'd like to congratulate LEGO for maximizing the profit potential for a set from popular theme.  
- $100 for 734 pieces (judging by the pieces, this set is not going to be that heavy), WOW ! :money:
- Plus just enough tracks so people will have to buy more tracks if they want the train to go around a Christmas tree. :money: 
- Plus you have to pay more if you want to motorize the set :money: 

Worst part was, I could not decide if I was being sincere (:goodjob: ) or sarcastic  (:drag: )

:dontknow:

• Like 7

4 minutes ago, biking_tiger said:

So I'm pretty new to Power Functions... what would I need to make this one go? I can't completely make out the numbers on the back of the box... (old man eyes). 

Battery Box (ideally Lithium-Ion, but that'll set you back $50 plus $20 for the charger) ($13)

IR receiver ($15)

Train Motor ($14)

IR Remote control. ($13)

So $55 plus tax & shipping to motorize it.

Edited by Phil B
  • Like 1

1 minute ago, biking_tiger said:

So I'm pretty new to Power Functions... what would I need to make this one go? I can't completely make out the numbers on the back of the box... (old man eyes). 

Train remote (8879), train motor (88002), IR receiver (8884) and a AAA battery box (88000)

• Like 2

19 minutes ago, Phil B said:

Battery Box (ideally Lithium-Ion, but that'll set you back $50 plus $20 for the charger) ($13)

IR receiver ($15)

Train Motor ($14)

IR Remote control. ($13)

So $55 plus tax & shipping to motorize it.

If I have 60052 (Cargo Train), I have the bits and pieces I need? 

Edited by biking_tiger

1 minute ago, Alpinemaps said:

Call me a sheep, call me the target audience - I don't care; I'm all in.

I can't wait to see how people MOC this up a bit.  I know I'm going to want to add a car or too.  Or a caboose.  I don't care.  I love it!

Or a guy with a mop to clean up the mess left by people partying all night long in those cars :D

• Like 3

1 minute ago, biking_tiger said:

If I have 60052 (Cargo Train), I have the bits and pieces I need? 

Yes sir.

6 minutes ago, Alpinemaps said:

Call me a sheep, call me the target audience - I don't care; I'm all in.

I can't wait to see how people MOC this up a bit.  I know I'm going to want to add a car or too.  Or a caboose.  I don't care.  I love it!

I think this will be QFLL gold before Christmas.

• Like 4

12 minutes ago, Phil B said:

Yes sir.

I think this will be QFLL gold before Christmas.

You're thinking it's going to sell out that quickly? The Toy Shop remake didn't last year. I don't remember if Santa's Workshop did initially in 2014. Winter Village Market was available in 2013 if I recall.

I'm with you though. I think if it sells out, and LEGO can't meet demands in NOV/DEC this will go for a nice sum.

Nonononono.  You're confusing the Christmas Trail with the New Year's Train.  That's gonna be one hell of a party.

Who needs holidays as excuse to party in train?

But specifically for New Years Train, you would need a Gorilla Suit Guy and a businessman with suitcase minifigs :D

• Like 3

I just can't get that jazzed about this set at the $100 price point.  Hopefully we get a nice promo like last year to offset the cost.

Nonononono.  You're confusing the Christmas Trail with the New Year's Train.  That's gonna be one hell of a party.

Going to need the Gorilla Suit guy a la Trading Places.

Just now, Deadfraggle said:

You're thinking it's going to sell out that quickly? The Toy Shop remake didn't last year. I don't remember if Santa's Workshop did initially in 2014. Winter Village Market was available in 2013 if I recall.

I'm with you though. I think if it sells out, and LEGO can't meet demands in NOV/DEC this will go for a nice sum.

I would say the cats out of the bag on flipping the winter sets.  Look how many sellers there are for Santa's Workshop on Amazon.

• Like 6