10254 - Winter Holiday Train

DadsAFOL

On 9/21/2016 at 10:27 PM, SpaceFan9 said:

They are listed on the main page of LS@H https://shop.lego.com/en-US/Winter-Holiday-Train-10254

Silly question, do I need to buy all the power functions? If I just bought the motor and the battery would that allow it to run in a circle? ie is the remote necessary? 

Sorry, I have not done anything like this before

Silly question, do I need to buy all the power functions? If I just bought the motor and the battery would that allow it to run in a circle? ie is the remote necessary? 
Sorry, I have not done anything like this before

Yes you need everything. Supplying power is not enough... the remote controls the speed (default is 0, so it goes nowhere) and the infrared receiver connects to the motor to tell the motor what speed is being set on the remote.

You need all four pieces unless you have a remote... you can use a remote for up to 8 receivers (trains) but I use at most two since that is the easiest.
  • Like 1

3 minutes ago, gregpj said:

Yes you need everything. Supplying power is not enough... the remote controls the speed (default is 0, so it goes nowhere) and the infrared receiver connects to the motor to tell the motor what speed is being set on the remote.

You need all four pieces unless you have a remote... you can use a remote for up to 8 receivers (trains) but I use at most two since that is the easiest.

Thank you, but no thanks. Initially, I thought the train alone would be $80, Train + all power functions is $160(?). Makes me kinda wish they just copied the bakery this year instead.

Stationary Winter Train get ready to go nowhere!

35 minutes ago, gregpj said:

I don't think that's correct - you only need a battery box and a train motor. The basic battery box puts full power on all lines IIRC, whereas the rechargeable box has a built in speed and direction regulator, but the price of that one is on par with buying the entire kit once you add in the charger. 

I don't think that's correct - you only need a battery box and a train motor. The basic battery box puts full power on all lines IIRC, whereas the rechargeable box has a built in speed and direction regulator, but the price of that one is on par with buying the entire kit once you add in the charger. 

You do not want full power to your train... on max speed and fresh batteries, they will derail around a corner.

Ask me how I know!

Don't be cheap, get the remote and infrared sensor.

7 minutes ago, gregpj said:

You do not want full power to your train... on max speed and fresh batteries, they will detail around a corner.

Ask me how I know!

Don't be cheap, get the remote and infrared sensor.

Agree on the derailing. First thing my kids do when a train comes out: max speed! Second thing: build barricades on the track and smash trains into that.

• Like 7

Agree on the derailing. First thing my kids do when a train comes out: max speed! Second thing: build barricades on the track and smash trains into that.

Kids... ;)

(Except I was the one who derailed the red passenger train and it went sailing over the edge and smashed onto the floor... it was an accident but I heard about it.)
  • Like 2

34 minutes ago, jaylay said:

Yup. Just swap it in.

I'm having a flawed logic moment...

$55 for power functions only 

OR

$125 for 60052

In my head $55 seems like too much for a motor, etc but $125 for those parts and extra track (including switches), and misc. train parts and a cow all seems quite reasonable. Help!

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Poly 30286 said:

The power parts from City Cargo Train 60052 seem very close. Any idea if those power parts DO work with this one? If so, that set has a lot of nice tracks in it.

If you can get 60052 close to $100, then you can use all the powerfunctions and track, and sell the engine and the cars and buildings for decent money too, leaving you with very little out-of-pocket spend.

1 minute ago, Poly 30286 said:

I'm having a flawed logic moment...

$55 for power functions only 

OR

$125 for 60052

In my head $55 seems like too much for a motor, etc but $125 for those parts and extra track (including switches), and misc. train parts and a cow all seems quite reasonable. Help!

You can get 60051 for under $100 - slightly less track (no switches) but same powerfunctions.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, jmdt said:

Can you attach the holiday train to the cargo one and still have sufficient power to motorize?

I picked up the new train today (something about double VIP and giveaways) but I won't be building it until Sunday or Tuesday.  However, I saw your post and tested it with the old holiday train when I got home.

Results:

60052+ the cars from 10173 (no engine and no tender):  This setup worked OK, but still sluggish and I don't recommend it.  The train started moving around the 4th speed level and the real issue seemed to be the power of the magnets because the new train magnets are terrible.

60052+ entire 10173 (engine has rechargeable battery pack), using only 60052 for power:  This setup didn't work at all due to weight, the engine simply spins the motorized wheels in place.

Example for 10233 Horizon Express - I run 6 passengers cars (from 3 sets) and 2 engines, with power functions in each engine.

Next test:

Pair the holiday trains together and make one long train with only one engine.  I don't think that this will work because of the design of the 10173 engine but I have a little hope because some of the wagons are pretty light.

Conclusion:

You need a power source in the winter train to pair it with another train.

• Like 2

To add on to my previous post - you can not combine both holiday trains with one motor.

I built this set this morning and I'm very disappointed with it, because I own 10173.  10173 is an odd train but at least it's a full train with good features (tender, passenger car, tree wagon).  This new train is NOT worth the money, except than you can get promos with it.  However, there are still good features and they are:

10254 Pros:

The engine is improved and much sturdier than the old model with a nice color setup (and steam!)
The dark blue and gold are much improved accent colors compared to the amount of black in the old train.
Rotating Christmas Tree
More secure Christmas branches by using the lights to secure them on the side of the wagons
It's easy to switch to RC for the engine and tender

10254 Cons:

It's tiny at almost exactly half the size of the old train
It's really overpriced at $100.  You're paying $80 for the train itself if you assume $20 goes towards the track and that's ridiculous for what you get. The 60052 Cargo Train is currently the best available train set based on value, plus you can sell the parts and keep track and power functions and half cash left over.
The flatbed car is rather ugly and only fits some of the presents.  I don't like having small things laying around from sets and there is nowhere to keep the extra features and the bench bricks would be better used adding another car.
There is no easy way to add the power function lights to the engine which is a missed opportunity.
The set needs some straight track added to it.

You really need to add another passenger car to make this train worth running and a place to store the parts of the motor that you won't use (black wheels). 

The winter sets haven't appreciated in the last 12 months and the 10254 Train looks to be best used as a flipping opportunity than a long term hold.  It's a poor train for train fans and a weak set for winter fans (ranking just above the 10235 Winter Village Market).  At least you can get this at a discount when you factor in Double VIP and selling the Promo.

• Like 8

Guest TabbyBoy
4 hours ago, redghostx said:

To add on to my previous post - you can not combine both holiday trains with one motor.

I built this set this morning and I'm very disappointed with it, because I own 10173.  10173 is an odd train but at least it's a full train with good features (tender, passenger car, tree wagon).  This new train is NOT worth the money, except than you can get promos with it.  However, there are still good features and they are:

10254 Pros:

The engine is improved and much sturdier than the old model with a nice color setup (and steam!)
The dark blue and gold are much improved accent colors compared to the amount of black in the old train.
Rotating Christmas Tree
More secure Christmas branches by using the lights to secure them on the side of the wagons

10254 Cons:

It's really overpriced at $100.  You're paying $80 for the train itself if you assume $20 goes towards the track and that's ridiculous for what you get. The 60052 Cargo Train is currently the best available train set based on value, plus you can sell the parts and keep track and power functions and half cash left over.
The flatbed car is rather ugly and only fits some of the presents.  I don't like having small things laying around from sets and there is nowhere to keep the extra features and the bench bricks would be better used adding another car.
There is no easy way to add the power function lights to the engine which is a missed opportunity.

You really need to add another passenger car to make this train worth running and a place to store the parts of the motor that you won't use (black wheels). 

The winter sets haven't appreciated in the last 12 months and the 10254 Train looks to be best used as a flipping opportunity than a long term hold.  It's a poor train for train fans and a weak set for winter fans (ranking just above the 10235 Winter Village Market).  At least you can get this at a discount when you factor in Double VIP and selling the Promo.

I saw one in Harrods and I wasn't too impressed either to be honest and I'll be avoiding it unless... the likes of John Lewis has it for -50% after Xmas like it has with some previous sets.

5 hours ago, redghostx said:

10254 Pros:

Rotating Christmas Tree

10254 Cons:

Thanks for your opinion.  The problem I have which likely is the same for many people; we don't have the 10173.  So IMO there is no choice but to get the 10254.

• Like 2