10254 - Winter Holiday Train

DadsAFOL

2 minutes ago, siddji said:

Enjoy! Moderators feel free to remove.

Like the engine, the rest is meh compared to 10173. And 16 curved track makes merely a circle, but will jack up the price quite a bit. Also, no space for a motor with battery box, but that's the same with 10173 if you want to go Power Functions. I'm thinking $99.99 as my best guess for price.

11 minutes ago, Phil B said:

Like the engine, the rest is meh compared to 10173. And 16 curved track makes merely a circle, but will jack up the price quite a bit. Also, no space for a motor with battery box, but that's the same with 10173 if you want to go Power Functions. I'm thinking $99.99 as my best guess for price.

Let's say I've never built a Lego train before. If I am understanding your post, you're saying there is no possible way to motorize this bad boy? or just no easy way?

3 minutes ago, Deadfraggle said:

Let's say I've never built a Lego train before. If I am understanding your post, you're saying there is no possible way to motorize this bad boy? or just no easy way?

From the looks of it, you'd need to add another car to house the battery box and the IR controller. I don't think the body of the engine is big enough to hold the 4x8x4 block (plus there are some inward slopes that restrict space) and the tender seems to be too small as well for housing both the battery box and the IR controller. The front bogie of the engine does seem to be made for replacement with a train bogie - at least it uses the same decorative item used on the standard bogies. Unless you have to replace those two 1x2 grill pieces just before the cab with the IR, and then place the battery box in the tender (filling it up entirely) .....

• Like 1

7 hours ago, Darth_Raichu said:

It looks shorter than 79111 but has the same price point ?

Par for the course in 2016. There are 734 vs 699 pieces in the new holiday train though. Hard to tell by the picture, but I'm guessing the holiday train won't have more than the 7 minifigures included in 79111.

• Like 1

While we wait for permission for posting /allowing pics of 10254, it's def more like the toy story than the emerald night.  

For comparing it to 10173 (holiday train), 10254 has a much more detailed locomotive.  Other than that, 10173 owners shouldn't feel the need to upgrade.  Even at $99, I expected more than 3 small cars including the coal one.  Lego should have just made it $109 or $119 if it allowed another car or made the existing cars longer.

On February 3, 2016 at 11:13 AM, jaisonline said:

maybe more like this...

7597-1.jpg

than

10194-1.jpg

??

• Like 2

The big relevant question is: what is this set going to do to the value of 10173? I'm thinking there will be a drop - 10173 is not iconic, not a spectacular design, and with a new train out that can be modded into a PF train (by building a passenger wagon with the PF components perhaps?) there is now an alternative. Are we going to see a big correction or just a minor one? 10173 sells new in the $600-800 range now, and used in the $400s. Anyone fancy a prediction on where the price is going to go?

I think LEGO did a good job on this train given the target audience: kids who want a train around the tree. It's not an train-lovers train though.

Maybe a small hit in value to 10173, as there is now a viable alternative holiday train purchase, but these are sort of apples to oranges comparisons. This isn't a direct rehash. The price points aren't close to comparable. The supply of NISB 10173s isn't getting any bigger, and demand from true LEGO train enthusiasts probably won't decrease. I suppose the do-it-yourself types could buy 1 or 2 of this set at $99 to build an updated larger, holiday train. 

1 hour ago, jaisonline said:

While we wait for permission for posting /allowing pics of 10254, it's def more like the toy story than the emerald night.  

For comparing it to 10173 (holiday train), 10254 has a much more detailed locomotive.  Other than that, 10173 owners shouldn't feel the need to upgrade.  Even at $99, I expected more than 3 small cars including the coal one.  Lego should have just made it $109 or $119 if it allowed another car or made the existing cars longer.

I still cannot believe this thing comes with 2 fewer minifigs, 1 fewer horse, and 4 fewer tracks than 79111, which was a licensed set.  There must be very high inflation since 2013. How else could you account for the price for those 35 extra bricks? :dontknow:

:drag:

• Like 6