STAR WARS VIII - "The Last Jedi" - Movie Discussion

jaisonline

On 4/1/2018 at 8:58 AM, JDLego324 said:

11:47 am on day 3 in Magic Kingdom.  First Last Jedi anything sighting.  Younger looking Dad with a T-shirt.

I didn’t see any Rogue One T-shirts at all either, or many Force Awakens. Everyone wears OG Star Wars shirts and that’s it. How many Attack of the Clones have you seen in your lifetime? 

4 minutes ago, pete411 said:

I didn’t see any Rogue One T-shirts at all either, or many Force Awakens. Everyone wears OG Star Wars shirts and that’s it. How many Attack of the Clones have you seen in your lifetime? 

Waiting patiently for exciter to capitalize on this gif request.

4 minutes ago, thegraverobber said:

Meh. I loved it. I've only met one person IRL who didn't like it.

The Internet is a sad place sometimes.

We are obviously all just Russian Bots (trying to undermine the great American cinema).

Edited by KShine
  • Like 2
  • Thanks 2

3 minutes ago, thegraverobber said:

Meh. I loved it. I've only met one person IRL who didn't like it.

The Internet is a sad place sometimes.

I would say the same thing in person, so its not really the internet. The movie is really about 20 minutes long.  The rest of it drives me bonkers.

I think it’s just that the haters are a lot more vocal than the ones that liked the movie. I liked the movie and I get on with my life. The haters are fuming about this movie and need constant affirmation that their hate is shared and justified. It’s a strange phenomenon.

it definitely wasn’t a perfect movie but it was shot beautifully and left me wondering where this was all going. We’re so used to seeing the heroes undertake a mission where **** goes wrong but hey, they pull it out at the end. Luke will come save the day with lightsaber blazing, right? Personally I think that would have been a less interesting movie.

• Like 1

15 minutes ago, thegraverobber said:

Are you posting that video ironically or seriously?

JJ was an Executive Producer on TLJ. He and Rian collaborated during TFA. JJ said the script for TLJ was so good that he wished he was directing it.

I don't think Simon Pegg being on the set for a few days is a very trustworthy source, lol. The clickbait sites are having a field day today.

"Unlike almost everyone else in the world, Ridley has known for years who Rey's parents are, since Abrams told her on the set of The Force Awakens. Ridley believes that nothing ever changed: "I thought what I was told in the beginning is what it is.""

https://www.rollingstone.com/movies/features/the-last-jedi-cover-story-on-the-dark-new-star-wars-movie-w512703

I certainly don't think that JJ would come out against TLJ regardless of what he thought.  I've also heard a story the Rey liked where Trevorrow was planning on taking the story, doesn't mean anything now.  No one is going to come out and openly trash someone else involved with these movies.  Little bits and pieces are all we'll hear and you can take them or leave them depending on your certain point of view.

Maybe you thought the movies worked well together, and that's fine, but it seemed to me that things set up in the TFA didn't get paid off in a satisfactory way with the TLJ. 

2 minutes ago, fuzzy_bricks said:

I certainly don't think that JJ would come out against TLJ regardless of what he thought.  I've also heard a story the Rey liked where Trevorrow was planning on taking the story, doesn't mean anything now.  No one is going to come out and openly trash someone else involved with these movies.  Little bits and pieces are all we'll hear and you can take them or leave them depending on your certain point of view.

Maybe you thought the movies worked well together, and that's fine, but it seemed to me that things set up in the TFA didn't get paid off in a satisfactory way with the TLJ. 

Most of the issues I have with TLJ are due to how TFA was set up or ended. Rian wasn't given much to work with, IMO. 

But yeah, this is all heresay. My point was that Daisy already said this was the plan prior to whatever Simon Pegg is floating today.

27 minutes ago, thegraverobber said:

Are you posting that video ironically or seriously?

JJ was an Executive Producer on TLJ. He and Rian collaborated during TFA. JJ said the script for TLJ was so good that he wished he was directing it.

I don't think Simon Pegg being on the set for a few days is a very trustworthy source, lol. The clickbait sites are having a field day today.

"Unlike almost everyone else in the world, Ridley has known for years who Rey's parents are, since Abrams told her on the set of The Force Awakens. Ridley believes that nothing ever changed: "I thought what I was told in the beginning is what it is.""

https://www.rollingstone.com/movies/features/the-last-jedi-cover-story-on-the-dark-new-star-wars-movie-w512703

Right there should tell you JJ can never give any objective opinion on TLJ.  Anything bad (or good for that matter) he said is suspect since he has vested interest (monetary and otherwise).  Just like we should not put too much salt to whatever George Lucas could have said about how Kirshner directed Empire Strikes Back

1 minute ago, thegraverobber said:

Most of the issues I have with TLJ are due to how TFA was set up or ended. Rian wasn't given much to work with, IMO. 

But yeah, this is all heresay. My point was that Daisy already said this was the plan prior to whatever Simon Pegg is floating today.

I don't disagree about the ending of TFA.  From the crawl to the end scene, Luke Skywalker bookends that movie and you can see how this might lead people to believe that Luke would take a more proactive role in the next movie.

My point about Daisy was that it really doesn't matter what these actors say.  It doesn't serve the big machine to say that one director changed directions on them, refer to Mark's comments after the movie.  It sounds better if everything was planned out.  I guess we'll see in the next movie if they address the parents thing again.  It was just another tease for her have a force vision when she touches the lightsaber and we hear familiar voices.

We need to update the Rotten Tomatoes image at the top, the audience score has dropped 11 points.  Only the animated Clone Wars movie has a worse audience rating out of the Star Wars theatrical releases.

25 minutes ago, fuzzy_bricks said:

I don't disagree about the ending of TFA.  From the crawl to the end scene, Luke Skywalker bookends that movie and you can see how this might lead people to believe that Luke would take a more proactive role in the next movie.

The final minutes of TFA sold me on this new trilogy.  I liked the new characters well enough but it was those closing moments starting with R2-D2 awaking from his slumber leading to the stirring John Williams music to Luke's reveal to the closing credits that sent shivers up my spine.  I was excited about Star Wars again.  And then The Last Jedi killed it as soon as Luke tosses the lightsaber over his shoulder so that the Porgs could play with it.  Disaster.

2 hours ago, thegraverobber said:

I loved the way TFA ended.  Awesome scene and photography.  I think he gave Rian a blank slate.

1 hour ago, Ed Mack said:

I loved the way TFA ended.  Awesome scene and photography.  I think he gave Rian a blank slate.

What? How? He set up so many questions that HAD to be answered. He also left on a huge cliffhanger, which essentially made a time jump impossible for the first time in Star Wars history.

13 minutes ago, thegraverobber said:

What? How? He set up so many questions that HAD to be answered. He also left on a huge cliffhanger, which essentially made a time jump impossible for the first time in Star Wars history.

There was a big time jump after Empire. The Force Awakens ending could have been pursued in any number of ways. Porg bait is not one that would top my list 

• Like 1

27 minutes ago, thegraverobber said:

Seriously? Just on top of my head:

Scene 1: Rey is doing awesome lightsaber moves at Achtoo. Enter Luke with comment: "you did more in (insert time) than any of my other pupils".

Scene 2: catch up with Poe, Leia etc. "Wtf, FO regrouped just (insert time) after we blew up DS3???? We better call Rey".

Scene 3 (or somewhere in 1st half of movie): Flashback of what happened after Rey gave Luke his lightsaber

• Like 2

You just described almost every TV show on these days. Season finale has some huge thing happen, has a bit of a cliffhanger and then bam! Next season starts months later.

I’m thinking about every season of The Flash for example.
  • Like 1

28 minutes ago, jeff_14 said:

There was a big time jump after Empire. The Force Awakens ending could have been pursued in any number of ways. Porg bait is not one that would top my list 

There’s a big time jump between all of them, that was my point. The way they ended TFA almost required an immediate pickup.

I don’t hate it, but that’s not Rian’s fault.

31 minutes ago, Alpinemaps said:

You just described almost every TV show on these days. Season finale has some huge thing happen, has a bit of a cliffhanger and then bam! Next season starts months later.

I’m thinking about every season of The Flash for example.

Thinking about that one could accuse Felicty and friends (Arrow) of being simaler to TLJ main charcter of old has legacy destroyed.

• Like 1

39 minutes ago, thegraverobber said:

There’s a big time jump between all of them, that was my point. The way they ended TFA almost required an immediate pickup.

I don’t hate it, but that’s not Rian’s fault.

Sorry, the bucks stop at the director's chair. Rian could have easily put the tag "3 months/ 1 year ago" when we caught up with Rey & Luke, right after scene with Poe & the bombers. Rian could have easily put a time jump but he chose not to. 

• Like 1

12 minutes ago, Darth_Raichu said:

Sorry, the bucks stop at the director's chair. Rian could have easily put the tag "3 months/ 1 year ago" when we caught up with Rey & Luke, right after scene with Poe & the bombers. Rian could have easily put a time jump but he chose not to. 

I mean, that’s not really my issue with it. I’d probably dislike it more if we didn’t get to see Rey and Luke’s initial meeting. What bothers me is just the way that it ended...JJ kind of forced the story to quickly answer a bunch of questions that he didn’t even attempt to answer.

I liked TFA and I loved TLJ - this was just a minor complaint.

39 minutes ago, thegraverobber said:

What bothers me is just the way that it ended...JJ kind of forced the story to quickly answer a bunch of questions that he didn’t even attempt to answer.

Isn't putting unanswered questions the idea of cliffhanger? Afterall, it was movie 1 of 3. Not sure how the ending of 7 forced the next director to answer quickly.  Rian could have dragged the answers to the end of TLJ. Heck he could have punted those questions to movie 9 and had the characters went on a different tangent in 8. Obviously he picked and chose what to ignore and continue from TFA and he seemed eager to go against some fans' expectations.  The decision was Rian's to make.

• Like 1

My single biggest complaint is that whoever decided to completely butcher Poe Dameron's character in TLJ should be taken out back and kicked in the head.

How can you take the 'hero' of TFA and make him a completely untrusted loose cannon in TLJ? That makes no sense.... not only did they not tell him about the escape plan because the purple haired woman decided she didn't trust him (except that she's Leia's buddy from years ago and Leia trusted Poe more than any of the other rebel pilots) but there are thousands of people evacuating and he doesn't notice or figure it out? GMAFB.

It's inconsistencies like this that kill TLJ for me (Poe was my biggest peeve, but there are a pile more)... It was Star Wars, there was lots to enjoy, but tell a consistent story or GTFO and go direct some crappy made-for-TV movies.

• Like 5