STAR WARS VIII - "The Last Jedi" - Movie Discussion

jaisonline

6 minutes ago, Bold-Arrow said:

So women finally coming out against harassment and assault is just a front for gender supremacy ?

Yes. But “gender supremacy “ is another front.  It’s a rabbit hole. You can take the red pill if you wish. 

Edited by Mathew

1 hour ago, KShine said:

98% of society will believe whatever they are told (even if it contradicts accepted truths from the day before) - The other 2% usually end up killed, jailed, or employed in the arts.

Luckily I haven't been killed or jailed.  Tried to be employed in the arts but that failed.  Now I'm just an average nobody living the schnook life.

Edited by Mathew
  • Like 1

2 hours ago, Bold-Arrow said:

So women finally coming out against harassment and assault is just a front for gender supremacy ?

In the context of TLJ:  Aside from the broom kid at the end, the rest of the males are portrayed as basically negative.  Luke is weak.  He actually considered murdering his nephew and Jedi pupil.  He's in hiding.  He's a coward.  Etc.  He sort of redeems himself at the end but I don't really consider his death all that honorable.  It was a parlor trick type thing.  Meh.  Lazy writing too.  I don't even care if astral projection is a Jedi power in some nerd encyclopedia as the director needlessly tries to prove in his passive aggressive twitter feed(good art doesn't need explanation).  Finn is a coward without a strong female at his side.  Poe is reckless and has to be slapped around by a couple of women.  Kylo is a spoiled brat with force powers who is continually put in his place by a girl who thinks the force is the ability to move rocks around.

I mean we can go round and round with this discussion.  I can accept a bad movie for being bad.  The prequels were bad in a lot ways but at least they were trying to tell an epic story:  The rise and fall of Anakin Skywalker.  Lucas had a vision.  I just don't enjoy a movie that puts an agenda ahead of good storytelling.  With this sequel trilogy there is no vision.  They're making it up as they go using the agenda to propel things (which is leading to a train wreck).  At the end of TLJ I honestly couldn't tell you what this sequel trilogy is about and I really could care less at this point.

Edited by Mathew
  • Like 1

3 minutes ago, Ed Mack said:

I'm glad that you reminded me that the movie is out on Amazon on Tuesday.  I will have to analyze it more closely.

My teenage daughter (and her friends) are very excited about it finally being available.

"Reylo Forever" they say - They really "Ship it" they say.

13 minutes ago, Bold-Arrow said:

I’m getting old . Had to look up what “ship it” meant 

Yea - Apparently if you see a couple people on screen, or in real life I guess (whether they are involved or not) - you can say that you "ship it" which joyfully proclaims your full support of a would be relationship.

Edited by KShine
  • Confused 1

I honestly hope that when EP9 begins..........A long time ago, in a galaxy far, far away...STAR WARS...Episode IX(Opening Crawl)....Millennium Falcon emerges from lightspeed near the atmosphere of some regurgitated/recycled planet from the OT. In the cockpit sits Chewbacca, C-3P0, R2-D2, and all the porgs. 3P0 orders R2 to go inform General Organa that they have arrived at their destination at said regurgitated/recycled planet. R2 whistles back at 3P0 as he rolls to the back of the ship. Just as 3P0 makes contact with the planet, several First Order Star Destroyers appear out of lightspeed and immediately bombard the Falcon in a hail of fire. Chewbacca roars, 3P0 shouts "Oh Dear!", Porgs cry out, as the Falcon is completely blown away by the First Order. Aboard the Star Destroyer, a satisfied General Hux  watches the remains of the Falcon begin to burn in the planets atmosphere.................Sitting in thousands of theaters everywhere, millions of longtime fans will forever mourn but, for the next two hours will rejoice that what remained of our beloved ill-used/under-used/unused characters will not be in a terrible movie and the destruction of the Falcon insures it will not fall into the hands of unworthy, substandard characters. I apologize for the spoiler however, only "A" to "IX" in the above is the only thing I know will happen. Also, I do not consider porgs a beloved character, I found them to be as useful as Jar Jar. 

• Like 3

20 hours ago, Mathew said:

I mean we can go round and round with this discussion.  I can accept a bad movie for being bad.  The prequels were Great in every way and told an epic story:  The rise and fall of Anakin Skywalker.  Lucas had a vision.  I just don't enjoy a movie that puts an agenda ahead of good storytelling.  With this sequel trilogy there is no vision.  They're making it up as they go using the agenda to propel things (which is leading to a train wreck).  At the end of TLJ I honestly couldn't tell you what this sequel trilogy is about and I really could care less at this point.

Fixed your comment for you :) 

13 hours ago, Rowdy1138 said:

I honestly hope that when EP9 begins..........A long time ago, in a galaxy far, far away...STAR WARS...Episode IX(Opening Crawl)....Millennium Falcon emerges from lightspeed near the atmosphere of some regurgitated/recycled planet from the OT. In the cockpit sits Chewbacca, C-3P0, R2-D2, and all the porgs. 3P0 orders R2 to go inform General Organa that they have arrived at their destination at said regurgitated/recycled planet. R2 whistles back at 3P0 as he rolls to the back of the ship. Just as 3P0 makes contact with the planet, several First Order Star Destroyers appear out of lightspeed and immediately bombard the Falcon in a hail of fire. Chewbacca roars, 3P0 shouts "Oh Dear!", Porgs cry out, as the Falcon is completely blown away by the First Order. Aboard the Star Destroyer, a satisfied General Hux  watches the remains of the Falcon begin to burn in the planets atmosphere.................Sitting in thousands of theaters everywhere, millions of longtime fans will forever mourn but, for the next two hours will rejoice that what remained of our beloved ill-used/under-used/unused characters will not be in a terrible movie and the destruction of the Falcon insures it will not fall into the hands of unworthy, substandard characters. I apologize for the spoiler however, only "A" to "IX" in the above is the only thing I know will happen. Also, I do not consider porgs a beloved character, I found them to be as useful as Jar Jar. 

I just want the Millennium Falcon to be destroyed so we can stop getting remakes.  I never really liked the ship anyway.  Not symmetrical. 

• Like 1

9 minutes ago, Ed Mack said:

I just want the Millennium Falcon to be destroyed so we can stop getting remakes.  I never really liked the ship anyway.  Not symmetrical. 

Why would that stop them?  They blew up the second Death Star and we got two of them.  Of which the current one will probably last for another 6 years.  Coupled with the shelf life of the first one, that will be about 15 years (assuming that it does indeed retire) , which is more time than what it took the Empire to build.

7 minutes ago, Cheese said:

Why would that stop them?  They blew up the second Death Star and we got two of them.  Of which the current one will probably last for another 6 years.  Coupled with the shelf life of the first one, that will be about 15 years (assuming that it does indeed retire) , which is more time than what it took the Empire to build.

True...The whole STAR WARS theme is a remake.  The only way the theme can recover is if LEGO loses the license.

14 minutes ago, Ed Mack said:

True...The whole STAR WARS theme is a remake.  The only way the theme can recover is if LEGO loses the license.

There's lots of legs left in the Star Wars theme.  LEGO just needs to stop being lazy.

Disney needs to stop being lazy too.

• Like 2

35 minutes ago, Ed Mack said:

FYI - 4 more years

BILLUND, Denmark (February 13, 2012) – The LEGO Group and Lucasfilm Ltd. today announced renewal of the Star Wars™ licensing deal that, 12 years ago, transformed a construction toy theme into a global entertainment property with strong cross-generational, multi-platform appeal. Fans can look forward to LEGO® Star Wars product and content development for the next 10 years, according to the terms of the deal. 

1 hour ago, KShine said:

FYI - 4 more years

BILLUND, Denmark (February 13, 2012) – The LEGO Group and Lucasfilm Ltd. today announced renewal of the Star Wars2122.png licensing deal that, 12 years ago, transformed a construction toy theme into a global entertainment property with strong cross-generational, multi-platform appeal. Fans can look forward to LEGO00ae.png Star Wars product and content development for the next 10 years, according to the terms of the deal. 

Thanks...I kinda remember that and also stating at the time that I thought it was good for the theme.  What the Hell do I know?

12 minutes ago, Ed Mack said:

Thanks...I kinda remember that and also stating at the time that I thought it was good for the theme.  What the Hell do I know?

I'm still not really too concerned - Of course things are somewhat terrible all over, but whether it be next year, 5-10-20 years from now, Star Wars will still be Star Wars.

1 minute ago, KShine said:

I'm still not really too concerned - Of course things are somewhat terrible all over, but whether it be next year, 5-10-20 years from now, Star Wars will still be Star Wars.

I guess so.  People might be overdosed on STAR WARS by then.