STAR WARS VIII - "The Last Jedi" - Movie Discussion

jaisonline

7 minutes ago, binary_storm said:

You know what confuses me: how some people can't seem to grasp that other people saw a movie and had a different reaction to it than they did.

Some movies just polarise opinion. This is one of those movies. The exceptional thing with The Last Jedi is that it was preceded by a 40-year body of work that many people had an emotional investment in. You f**k around with that kind of investment at your peril.

I've heard them, you oughta hear the self-serving podcaster shills who are afraid to say anything critical, in fear that the Big Mouse will shut them down.

• Like 1

16 minutes ago, exciter1 said:

I'm still buying in a couple weeks, I'm still watching again too. I can fast forward to certain scenes, like I do in AOTC.  I usually go straight to the Geonosis battle when watching it.  The dialogue, oh, the dialogue.

How could one fast forward this scene?

image.png.b110c67ad948b8d75967634a993bda9a.png

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

1 hour ago, mudcatsfan said:

I'm still thoroughly confused by all TLJ hate.

Why does everyone presume that there is a nefarious SJW agenda?

Why is Commander D'Acy a distracting loser? She's the equivillant of General Madine. Inconsequential leader, used for exposition and to move the narrative. That's it. Who cares?

Why are these new trilogy characters so worthless? Is it that we can't relate to them? Why not? An orphan with powers greater than the most powerful bloodline ever who turns out to just be nobody, a child soldier ripped from his family taught to obey and kill, a selfish showoff pilot learning to think like a leader, why are those not interesting characters?

Why is HOPE not an interesting story? That's what Rian did. He said, the great leaders of the galaxy may fade away, they may even fail us. And if so, hope is not lost. Hope can come from anywhere. Even broom boy.

I don't get the hate. I don't get the bile.

It's still a fun story, and I finally don't know exactly what's going to happen at the end of each film.

(PS: I agree Solo is doomed. But not because of SJW themes)

I do not hate it.  The movie was just so imbalanced.  The good parts were pretty good but the bad dragged it down.  The movie had a lot potential to be a lot better.  For example, if they just cut the whole pointless Poe, Finn, DJ, and Rose subplots and added a little bit more discussion between Luke and Rey about the Force, the movie would have been much more tight. 

Also, it did not help when the animated show (SW Rebels) easily had the better storyline and execution than both TFA and TLJ combined.  Maybe I am spoiled by how good Rebels was, but why shouldn't I expect Disney to do as good as job with the mainline movies as well ?

• Like 3

15 minutes ago, binary_storm said:

You know what confuses me: how some people can't seem to grasp that other people saw a movie and had a different reaction to it than they did.

Some movies just polarise opinion. This is one of those movies. The exceptional thing with The Last Jedi is that it was preceded by a 40-year body of work that many people had an emotional investment in. You f**k around with that kind of investment at your peril.

I get how many things in life polarize opinions,,, including art. I just didn't expect the last jedi to be one of them.

I came out of the theater with my own reactions and expected many to complain about certain aspects including leia poppins but was simply shocked by the amount of hate for the film.

I'm old enough to know better, and I've been on the Internet long enough to know better, and yet it still caught me by surprise.

From reading the past couple dozen pages, if they only left out the Leia Poppins character, Finn, Poe, Rose, Snoke, Benicio Del Toro character, Commander Whateverhernameis, blue milk thingamajiggers, and broom boy...the movie would have kicked ass.  Am I correct?

• Like 4
  • Haha 1

1 minute ago, Ed Mack said:

From reading the past couple dozen pages, if they only left out the Leia Poppins character, Finn, Poe, Rose, Snoke, Benicio Del Toro character, Commander Whateverhernameis, blue milk thingamajiggers, and broom boy...the movie would have kicked ass.  Am I correct?

Oh...I forgot the last Jedi dude as well...

2 minutes ago, Ed Mack said:

Well, doing something with Phasma too, but she went out dumb like Boba Fett.

5 minutes ago, Ed Mack said:

And more BB8 on AT-ST blowing up FO Stormtroopers :D :D:D  Seriously, the movie lacked the scenes of FO Stormtroopers getting their asses handed to them

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, exciter1 said:

Well, doing something with Phasma too, but she went out dumb like Boba Fett.

And if he did something else....

"Can't believe Rian did something totally unrealistic with Phasma. Lucas never would have done that.  Total disrespect to the fans who built this franchise.  Never watching again!!"

"Can't believe Rian did something totally unrealistic with Phasma. Lucas never would have done that.  Total disrespect to the fans who built this franchise.  Never watching again!!"

Here’s the alternative Phasma death deleted scene that will be on the blu-ray, also pretty dumb.

3 minutes ago, mudcatsfan said:

He only brought Phasma back for 2 minutes cameo. Why included her in the movie at all? At least to me, Rian was capable of making interesting things happened to characters he liked.  The rest were just tagged along and had to appear in pointless B/C plot  

Just now, mudcatsfan said:

I get how many things in life polarize opinions,,, including art. I just didn't expect the last jedi to be one of them.

I came out of the theater with my own reactions and expected many to complain about certain aspects including leia poppins but was simply shocked by the amount of hate for the film.

I'm old enough to know better, and I've been on the Internet long enough to know better, and yet it still caught me by surprise.

If you go to watch a movie and come out not liking it, then generally it's no big deal, right? A waste of money for the ticket, a couple of hours that could have been better spent, but not that important in the grand scheme of things.

However, if you have a long-term (decades long, in some cases) emotional investment in a series of movies, and you go to watch the latest in that series and come out not liking it, then your reaction is going to be somewhat stronger.

What about if you didn't just dislike the movie but also felt that it reduced your enjoyment of the earlier movies in the series?

What about if you didn't like the movie, and told other people, only to be informed that the reason you didn't like it was because you were a misogynist, or a racist, or went in expecting something different, or because it's just a silly fantasy movie about space wizards and why are you getting all worked up, dude?

Maybe you can start to see where the hate might be coming from.

Personally, I have never felt so disappointed after leaving a movie (and I went to watch Highlander 2 at the cinema ? ).

15 minutes ago, binary_storm said:

If you go to watch a movie and come out not liking it, then generally it's no big deal, right? A waste of money for the ticket, a couple of hours that could have been better spent, but not that important in the grand scheme of things.

However, if you have a long-term (decades long, in some cases) emotional investment in a series of movies, and you go to watch the latest in that series and come out not liking it, then your reaction is going to be somewhat stronger.

What about if you didn't just dislike the movie but also felt that it reduced your enjoyment of the earlier movies in the series?

What about if you didn't like the movie, and told other people, only to be informed that the reason you didn't like it was because you were a misogynist, or a racist, or went in expecting something different, or because it's just a silly fantasy movie about space wizards and why are you getting all worked up, dude?

Maybe you can start to see where the hate might be coming from.

Personally, I have never felt so disappointed after leaving a movie (and I went to watch Highlander 2 at the cinema 1f609.png ).

It WOULD suck to find out you're a racist mysoginist that way. 

JUST KIDDING!!!!!

I also have a decades long investment,  but i also know that nobody's experiences are the same. 

I'm surprised my barometer if star wars enjoyment was calibrated so differently than such a large number of folks

2 hours ago, sauromosis said:

Will Disney show restraint and not overproduce?  LOL, two upcoming trilogies and now this:

http://deadline.com/2018/03/jon-favreau-to-ep-write-star-wars-series-for-disney-streaming-service-1202319033/

So disappointed as I was hoping my man Dave Filoni to have a chance like that.  He more than proved himseld IMHO. 

KK likes to bring in big name directors/writers only to butthead with them later on :D:D

• Like 3

8 hours ago, sauromosis said:

I don't have any trouble with empowering female or minority characters.  I liked Rey a lot in Force Awakens.  In Last Jedi, she sucked.  She was boring and it was a dumb, jokey script.

So much this. I even liked Kylo Ren better in TFA.

The fight scene with them vs snoke and his minions was neat, but in the end it was completely meaningless to the overall plot (except that I guess another incompetent baby led the assault on the planet).

I remember more names, places and plot points from TFA than I do TLJ and I haven't seen TFA in 2 years. Sad.

The #Metoo movement took over Star Wars. They phucked up Ghostbusters as well. What’s not to get?  The next Indiana Jones will probably be a chick with purple hair.  We just need to accept that these franchises as they were once known are now dead. It’s been blatantly spelled out for us.  

• Confused 1

6 minutes ago, Mathew said:

The #Metoo movement took over Star Wars. They phucked up Ghostbusters as well. What’s not to get?  The next Indiana Jones will probably be a chick with purple hair.  We just need to accept that these franchises as they were once known are now dead. It’s been blatantly spelled out for us.  

So women finally coming out against harassment and assault is just a front for gender supremacy ?

• Like 3