STAR WARS VIII - "The Last Jedi" - Movie Discussion

jaisonline

3 minutes ago, marcandre said:

I'll take prequels and Ewoks over these new films. (Not counting Rouge One that was awesome).

Why does everyone hate on the Ewoks? I loved them when I was little. 

I fell asleep during two of the three prequels.  As for the Ewoks, they were cute but there were some really corny parts in the Return of the Jedi.

On 3/1/2018 at 7:34 PM, Mathew said:

The truth is that JJ, Rian, Kennedy and Disney Inc. all conspired to give us TLJ long before it was put on film.  Kennedy formed an all female writing committee going back to 2012:

"Kathleen Kennedy founded the group in 2012 when she succeeded George Lucas as president of Lucasfilm, putting Kiri Hart, a former film and TV writer, in charge of the unit. Ms. Hart’s first move was to make the story group entirely female, starting with Rayne Roberts and Carrie Beck. Both women had experience in film development but had also worked in other arenas — Ms. Roberts in magazine publishing, and Ms. Beck with the Sundance Institute."

https://www.nytimes.com/2017/12/22/movies/star-wars-last-jedi-women-run-universe.html

Ms. Hart's resume isn't impressive:  http://www.imdb.com/name/nm1848009/#producer

Really nothing of note before Star Wars which makes you question Kennedy's judgement putting her in charge of writing a Billion dollar franchise.  Same goes for Rian Johnson.  A nobody before Star Wars with only a couple of minor films under his belt.  Nothing that interesting.

My personal opinion is that The Force Awakens was a tease to get fans on-board with this agenda based new trilogy.  If you don't like the direction of the new trilogy (and the Star Wars franchise in general) the best thing to do is just boycott future Star Wars films and products.

What exactly does the story group do?  It sure doesn't seem that they have developed a story that expands across a trilogy of movies. 

I'm still thoroughly confused by all TLJ hate.

Why does everyone presume that there is a nefarious SJW agenda?

Why is Commander D'Acy a distracting loser? She's the equivillant of General Madine. Inconsequential leader, used for exposition and to move the narrative. That's it. Who cares?

Why are these new trilogy characters so worthless? Is it that we can't relate to them? Why not? An orphan with powers greater than the most powerful bloodline ever who turns out to just be nobody, a child soldier ripped from his family taught to obey and kill, a selfish showoff pilot learning to think like a leader, why are those not interesting characters?

Why is HOPE not an interesting story? That's what Rian did. He said, the great leaders of the galaxy may fade away, they may even fail us. And if so, hope is not lost. Hope can come from anywhere. Even broom boy.

I don't get the hate. I don't get the bile.

It's still a fun story, and I finally don't know exactly what's going to happen at the end of each film.

(PS: I agree Solo is doomed. But not because of SJW themes)

Edited by mudcatsfan

I don't have any trouble with empowering female or minority characters.  I liked Rey a lot in Force Awakens.  In Last Jedi, she sucked.  She was boring and it was a dumb, jokey script.

Loved Rey in TFA, I considered her the best sci-fi female character (lead) since Ripley in “Alien”. In TLJ they were stuck with no chase for more than half the film, while sending someone off to get the key maker from “The Matrix: Reloaded”, all while Rey is pouting on an island with a geriatric Luke. She does finally get tired and visits Kylo and Snoke, but she really doesn’t say or do much.
  • Like 1

I'm obviously looking at the OT through rose-colored glasses that are subjectively put on a pedestal due to nostalgia.  Despite that I expected more from the new Star Wars.  We got another Death Star, a first movie that was submerged in ANH plot lines, a disjointed second film with inconsequential and distracting side stories (Finn & Rose), and "The Resistance" which was woefully outgunned and outnumbered despite defeating the Empire in the OT. 

Disney has done a masterful job of being consistent with their direction and the quality of the films they are producing in the Marvel universe.  Star Wars is far from that so far, but it's still early.

• Like 1

Is there a way that Rian could have really won, though?

If he writes to expectations, then the story was predictable, the writing was weak, I could see things coming from a mile away, it was all wanky fan service.

If he writes against expectations, then he s**t on the franchise, he wrecked the characters, he destroyed the franchise, he didn’t do what the fans want.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

39 minutes ago, fuzzy_bricks said:

I watched Looper again and it came to the Diner scene, where Joe meets his older self and asks about time travel.  His response demonstrates Rian's method of story telling.  Just accept the premise, I'm not going to explain it.

Rian often goes on Twitter to explain questions fans have about his choices. If you really hate what he did, I encourage you to check it out and read his posts there.

There was one entertaining one where he used a series of photos (no words) to demonstrate walking over to a shelf, grabbing a book written LONG before he took the helm of star wars and where it clearly delineated powers he used in the Last Jedi that fan boys whined about him making up.

Another example is him having bombs falling in space, clearly breaking the physics of star wars.

First off, please don't talk about well established physics in star wars. Seriously, GTFO with that

Secondly, they went so far as to clearly explain (in the reference books) that those were magnetic bombs that only appear to fall, but are magnetically launched at their targets.

And don't come at me with, but the OT didn't need reference books to explain their logic.

You accepted it cause you were little and/or not so annoying back then. (Tie bombers?)

His stuff was well thought out.  Yet fan boys be whinin'.

Edited by mudcatsfan

32 minutes ago, mudcatsfan said:

Don't know...I liked it for the most part.  I really don't like Princess Leia in this movie and a couple of silly scenes, but overall, I got it.

Why does everyone presume that there is a nefarious SJW agenda?

People read the internet too much.

Why is Commander D'Acy a distracting loser? She's the equivillant of General Madine. Inconsequential leader, used for exposition and to move the narrative. That's it. Who cares?

I don't care and she is a loser. LOL...Minor character.

Why are these new trilogy characters so worthless? Is it that we can't relate to them? Why not? An orphan with powers greater than the most powerful bloodline ever who turns out to just be nobody, a child soldier ripped from his family taught to obey and kill, a selfish showoff pilot learning to think like a leader, why are those not interesting characters?

Rey is rad.  Finn is fine.  Poe is poop.

Why is HOPE not an interesting story? That's what Rian did. He said, the great leaders of the galaxy may fade away, they may even fail us. And if so, hope is not lost. Hope can come from anywhere. Even broom boy.

It is a good story IMO.  I like the broom boy and I get it.

I don't get the hate. I don't get the bile.

Neither do I.

It's still a fun story, and I finally don't know exactly what's going to happen at the end of each film.

Yep.

(PS: I agree Solo is doomed. But not because of SJW themes)

I watch Solo clips and I just don't see how they picked this guy to play Han Solo.  I'll give it a chance.

• Thanks 1

5 minutes ago, Alpinemaps said:

Is there a way that Rian could have really won, though?

If he writes to expectations, then the story was predictable, the writing was weak, I could see things coming from a mile away, it was all wanky fan service.

If he writes against expectations, then he s**t on the franchise, he wrecked the characters, he destroyed the franchise, he didn’t do what the fans want.

This trilogy could have won by not being so derivative of the original. They looked at the reaction to the prequels and incorrectly concluded that fans don’t want anything different, when the lesson was don’t make it childish. So now we are stuck with remaking the original trilogy but with slight twists. “This is he Death Star. This is Starkiller base.” Argh. To me the best situation would have been theee new directors directing a new Lucas script. Instead they are directing an old one. 

Edited by jeff_14
  • Like 1

8 minutes ago, stackables said:

If members still don't understand why a lot of star wars fans hated the movie, just look at 1 of the 1000s of rant videos on youtube.  Most get why fans despised the movie. 

Sorry, I just have to quote Dalton whenever I can.  I am a big fan of his philosophy...

I already pre-ordered the steelbook for this and I know I'll watch it a couple times. I honestly did enjoy TLJ a lot, even though it was radically different from anything I had expected.  I grew up with the original trilogy on VHS and remembered seeing the Special Edition in theatres so it's always stuck with me growing up.

At the end of the day, Star Wars is escapism from life.  If I can enjoy myself in salty battles, quasi-monastic laser sword-wielding monks, and impossible navigational odds, then I'm good.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, mudcatsfan said:

You know what confuses me: how some people can't seem to grasp that other people saw a movie and had a different reaction to it than they did.

Some movies just polarise opinion. This is one of those movies. The exceptional thing with The Last Jedi is that it was preceded by a 40-year body of work that many people had an emotional investment in. You f**k around with that kind of investment at your peril.

• Like 4