STAR WARS VIII - "The Last Jedi" - Movie Discussion

jaisonline

3 minutes ago, exciter1 said:

It easily could have been, reach out for a cable with the force, draw yourself back in.  Force grab Ackbar and bring him to safety. 

We didn't get anything near that cool.

I'm a huge fan of TLJ, but that scene is always so visually jarring to me.

Like, I don't have an issue with the events in that scene. It's just the way that it was shot. Something about it is still so strange to me after several watches.

1 hour ago, Ed Mack said:

I think what ruined it for me was Luke throwing the light saber over his head in TLJ.  I thought it was funny at first, but really?  Would a Jedi really do that?  I always thought Luke tried too hard to be cool.  He was and is not Jedi material in my opinion.  He is a whiner.  

No that was a metphor for them throwing away the Star wars we loved and replacing it with some sad husk which I hope is cancelled for its own sake.

• Like 3

Mary Poppins aside , the scene that annoys me the most is the Rose/Finn collision towards the end of the movie , that would have been a big kaboom on any other day and the fact that he had time to go check on her with every other canon going off adds more insult to my brain . I did think the movie had its good moments as well as its bad though . 

13 minutes ago, stackables said:

One of the scenes that annoyed me the most was right at the start.  Let's make a prank call to howdy doody during the middle of an intense battle.  The same guy who blew up 3 planets in the movie before.  Perfect time for inappropriate humor.

Well, I guess you could say that it did set the tone for the movie.

• Like 3

There were many unexpected, kinda funny the first time you see it moments (mostly because they were absurdly inappropriate to either the situation, or to the personality of the character involved) - but then on second viewing, they weren't funny at all.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, fuzzy_bricks said:

They had time to fix the whole Princess Leia thing if they really wanted.  You want to talk about putting the next guy in a bind, Rian did it by not taking care of her when he could have.

Not to be disrespectful to Carrie Fischer, but the Mary Poppins scene should have never happened and she should have just died when thrown into space.  Let's face it, Harrison Ford/Han Solo was always the best of the bunch and when he died, my interest in watching the older characters diminished.  I enjoyed Luke's last battle and really could care less about Leia.  Time to move on to the new characters in my opinion.

• Like 3

34 minutes ago, Bold-Arrow said:

Mary Poppins aside , the scene that annoys me the most is the Rose/Finn collision towards the end of the movie , that would have been a big kaboom on any other day and the fact that he had time to go check on her with every other canon going off adds more insult to my brain . I did think the movie had its good moments as well as its bad though . 

That was an homage to Mchael Bay's movies :P

1 minute ago, Ed Mack said:

Not to be disrespectful to Carrie Fischer, but here Mary Poppins scene should have never happened and she should have just died when thrown into space.  Let's face it, Harrison Ford/Han Solo was always the best of the bunch and when he died, my interest in watching the older characters diminished.  I enjoyed Luke's last battle and really could care less about Leia.  Time to move on to the new characters in my opinion.

When I first saw the movie, the scene when she gets blown out into space had a pretty good emotional impact.  I remember thinking , "this is how she goes?!?!", because they did discuss after her death that nothing really needed to change and the story still worked.  I thought that they really took a chance by killing her so suddenly.  Then they completely undercut the impact of that scene with the Mary Poppins thing.

• Like 3

3 minutes ago, fuzzy_bricks said:

When I first saw the movie, the scene when she gets blown out into space had a pretty good emotional impact.  I remember thinking , "this is how she goes?!?!", because they did discuss after her death that nothing really needed to change and the story still worked.  I thought that they really took a chance by killing her so suddenly.  Then they completely undercut the impact of that scene with the Mary Poppins thing.

Yes, I agree.  It would have been a fine and appropriate death (being killed by her son that is...).

7 minutes ago, Clintonjoseph said:

my thoughts on star wars:
my older brother was born in 1977, i was born in 1980, and my little brother came in 1983, the same years the star wars movies came out. we watched the 3 originals countless times growing up and had the lunchboxes, toys, backpacks, halloween costumes, pajamas, etc. it was fun to pretend to be our heroes from the movies and go on adventures and wonder what kind of awesome adventures the “real” luke, han & chewie had after the movies ended.
30 years later, disney buys star wars and announces a new trilogy starring our old heroes. great! this will be so cool!
i go see the force awakens, and find out han solo was a deadbeat dad and has gone back to being a lowlife smuggler even when a new evil power is out terrorizing the galaxy again. he dies, and leia ignores chewie. there’s another easily defeated death star. ok, i guess i can get past all that stuff i didn’t like. looks like this new star wars is still going to be overall pretty good. seeing the falcon zooming around again was extremely cool. i like the new characters so far, i like the look of kylo ren.
the last jedi comes out. i see it opening night. luke skywalker tosses his lightsaber over his shoulder. what the hell. he’s a grumpy hermit. he trashed his xwing. he ditched his friends, his family, and even his droids. he’s a jerk to this nice girl wanting to learn about the force. he tried to kill his nephew because he thought maybe he might turn evil!? what the freakin crap is this!? i hate this! they have ruined his character! i would be able to get past all the other ridiculous garbage in this movie such as the moronic phone call between hux and poe, the amateur green screen mary poppins in space, chewie the now useless pet dog eating a cgi owl, pod racing horses on a planet with only human looking aliens, a fake salt covered goth planet...agggh so much crap in one film! oh yeah they also find time to kill off admiral akbar for no reason, and not kill off leia even though carrie fischer was already dead, and got rid of kylo rens helmet, so he can look weaker. and phasma! ha i forgot how useless she was in both movies! oh man what a flaming pile of garbage. and luke just dissapears while sitting on a rock! boooooooooo!

Yes...Very weak and disappointing use of Han Solo.  

12 minutes ago, Ed Mack said:

Yes, I agree.  It would have been a fine and appropriate death (being killed by her son that is...).

Yes...Very weak and disappointing use of Han Solo.  

Actually, that about sums up all the main characters... "very weak and disappointing".  Seriously, what can we say that was positive?  The fact the Rey, with no training, can use the force more effectively than Anakin on a good day?  If they don't make her the offspring of two Jedi, how in the world do they explain any of that?!  (BTW, I still highly doubt the child of trash.  They still have a way out that Kylo Ren read her mind and that is what she thinks.  But that does not guarantee that is the truth.)

If they can redeem any of this, they might save the series.  However, at this point, they've all but lost me.  And I'm speaking as someone who got to see Star Wars (before it was called "A New Hope") in the movie theater for my birthday - a theater filled with 500+ people.  I was pleasantly surprised by Rogue One, one of my favorites of all SW films, but I'm not even sure I'm going to go so Solo after the disappointment of TLJ.

• Like 1

Episode 9 should open up with Leia getting blown up and then they just win the battle for her and move on. Just get it out of the way as soon as possible.

I will try to remain optimistic for Solo and I am hoping that kid can pull it off.  Those are some big shoes to fill.  I just can't see him doing the Mos Eisley scene in IV, I don't think he has 10% of the charisma that Harrison Ford had for those scenes.  

12 minutes ago, Jeff Mack said:

Episode 9 should open up with Leia getting blown up and then they just win the battle for her and move on. Just get it out of the way as soon as possible.

I will try to remain optimistic for Solo and I am hoping that kid can pull it off.  Those are some big shoes to fill.  I just can't see him doing the Mos Eisley scene in IV, I don't think he has 10% of the charisma that Harrison Ford had for those scenes.  

We will know soon enough (May 15)...

http://deadline.com/2018/04/solo-a-star-wars-story-surprise-premiere-cannes-film-festival-1202359313/

9 minutes ago, Jeff Mack said:

Agree, or just start with her funeral and tell the story of her death in the opening script and/or opening scene.  Close the loop quickly and move on.  

6 minutes ago, BrickLegacy said:

Agree, or just start with her funeral and tell the story of her death in the opening script and/or opening scene.  Close the loop quickly and move on.  

Wait how about first we see "Leia"'s hand doing a Vulcan mind melt with Rose (unconcious) and we heard "Leia"'s voice saying "Remember" :D :D :D :D :D

My prediction: In the first 10 minutes of Episode IX, the Falcon -- carrying Chewie and Leia on some important diplomatic mission for the Resist-, er, sorry, ... Rebellion -- gets blown to bits.

If Lucasfilm want a really clean break then Artoo and Threepio will be on-board as well.

Wait, scratch that: no way Disney will allow their toy cash cows to be destroyed. All of the above characters will just be on some random spacecraft instead of the Falcon. They're still getting blown up though.

In my opinion, TLJ's biggest problem is that it takes place right after TFA ends, with no time jump.

If there had been a time jump, then maybe the passage of time could have justified some of the characters' choices and explained away some of their behaviour.

As it is though, you have a bunch of people whose characters change completely in the space of several hours and who seemingly forget momentous events that happened mere hours ago.

Admittedly, as someone stated above, it would have been difficult to have a time jump given how TFA ends.

Difficult, but not impossible. I just don't think they tried hard enough to work around that limitation.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, binary_storm said:

Admittedly, as someone stated above, it would have been difficult to have a time jump given how TFA ends.

Difficult, but not impossible. I just don't think they tried hard enough to work around that limitation.

Here's an idea, Luke takes the lightsabre, looks at it, looks at Rey, and then says "let's get to work" just as this kicks in and we get an old school training montage and however much time you need to pass, passes.

• Like 3

31 minutes ago, sauromosis said:

I liked when Luke piloted his Xwing one last time as Han piloted the Falcon.

25 minutes ago, stackables said:

Brought back a lot of fond memories.

but it wasn't until  Han said "Together again." and Luke responded with "Wouldn't miss it." that I got really choked up.

• Like 2

1 minute ago, zaphoid said:

but it wasn't until  Han said "Together again." and Luke responded with "Wouldn't miss it." that I got really choked up.

That was a great scene...right after Luke and Leia teamed up with Rey and all three of them used lightsabers and force powers to fight off those force-sensitive Knights of Ren.

• Like 3
  • Haha 1