STAR WARS VIII - "The Last Jedi" - Movie Discussion

jaisonline

2 minutes ago, KShine said:

Going to re-watch Rogue One again tonight.

Love this one - It is a case where the many many changes that were made, worked out great.

Which pleasantly surprised me, especially with the result of reshoots on suicide squad around the same time. They should have added that Vader scene. Oh well

• Like 1

2 hours ago, RKI_Fismo said:

Perfect. Introducing Star wars episode 9  -  Star Wars - The Last Hope?   1f602.png   1f602.png  1f602.png

Maybe more like "The Big Dope."   The story lines include....Poe takes on a Death Star by himself and Finn cuts his arm off with a light saber.

12 minutes ago, Ed Mack said:

Maybe more like "The Big Dope."   The story lines include....Poe takes on a Death Star by himself and Finn cuts his arm off with a light saber.

Shhh, they have a reputation for borrowing ideas from fan fiction. That sort of thing is gold to them, it could end up in the film.

• Like 2

People keep wrongly calling Star Wars "Sci-Fi" while it is Fantasy in Space. As such, it doesn't have to adhere to scientific principles. It's High Fantasy, set in a fantasy world with magic (the Force) and magic users / wizards (force sensitives). Some of the critique on TLJ comes from events in the movie not being physically possible (in our world, according to the physics of our universe). While it's easy to say that it is possible in the Star Wars (fantasy) universe.

Of course, even fantasy movies need to be internally consistent, and this is where TLJ fails. Because it tramples over the foundation established in earlier movies. It often happens when the movie creators think they can inject their own ideas into an already created and working world. Peter Jackson did the same thing with The Hobbit trilogy, deviating so far from the book and the Middle Earth foundation we loved in the Lord of the Rings movies, that The Hobbit movies were just not good. It also happened when the creators of the Game of Thrones TV-series overtook the books and had to start creating their own story lines. The difference in quality between Game of Thrones in the first few seasons and the last season is quite noticeable. 

I'm sure J.J. Abrams is pretty annoyed with some of the choices made by Rian Johnson, which he now has to work with for Episode 9. We'll see how that works out by end of next year. :P 

5 hours ago, Haay said:

It also happened when the creators of the Game of Thrones TV-series overtook the books and had to start creating their own story lines. The difference in quality between Game of Thrones in the first few seasons and the last season is quite noticeable. 

What happened with GoT is pretty common in Japan where they routinely create anime / cartoon based on an ongoing series of manga / comics.  You can tell where the source materials end and the anime only storylines begin.  Small details you love so much in earlier episodes + source materials are usually missing from the later part of the anime :D

TLJ is something else though since it did not have source materials per se.  Just storylines with holes and without any respect for previous movie (lets face it if TLJ /Rian could not respect TFA, there was no way he would have respected the older movies) :P  :P  

• Like 1

What is really annoying about TLJ fantasy universe is that it isnt even cohesive from scene to scene.......... Perfect example is Leia getting sucked into space after the bridge gets hit and depressurizes. But cut to her a few moments later and she flies through an airlock with plenty of crew members standing around and no depressurization. And thats just one example, the movie is loaded with em. This movie could have been so much better IMO............Ughhhhhhhhhhh

• Like 1

What is really annoying about TLJ fantasy universe is that it isnt even cohesive from scene to scene.......... Perfect example is Leia getting sucked into space after the bridge gets hit and depressurizes. But cut to her a few moments later and she flies through an airlock with plenty of crew members standing around and no depressurization. And thats just one example, the movie is loaded with em. This movie could have been so much better IMO............Ughhhhhhhhhhh

IMG_2375.PNG

16 minutes ago, longshot said:

Do we forget how airlocks work? one side closes before the other opens. I think you meant pressure door. A pressure door is usually a door that slams into place to prevent pressure from the inside going to the outside.

IMG_2375.PNG.ddd9573a992e057a4f78126e37b1cda2.PNG

Pablo is out there trying to fight the good fight.

Pablo used to drive me nuts. He always sounded so high and mighty. But then I realized - he’s usually right and usually makes sense and the super fans really need to be talked down to/off the ledge sometimes.

I actually do think he’s fighting the good fight these days.
  • Like 2

25 minutes ago, longshot said:

Yep, that is the portion of the scene that really gets me too.  Apparently Leia is able to open a pressure door that had to have slammed shut when the atmosphere was lost, close the door again, re-pressurize the area, then open the air-lock door so the rest of the crew could get to her.  All while she's basically in a vacuum and with little to now "force abilities."  *sigh*

The other scene which really annoys me is how Rey ends up back on the Falcon after she and Kylo blow up Luke's lightsaber.  So somehow she was able to wake up, find both halves of Luke's lightsaber, ignore everyone else in the room (not kill Kylo,) get off the mega ship without being seen and Chewie is able to fly the Falcon (also unseen,) to the mega ship, land, pick Rey up - because she was so easy to find on a 25 KM long ship - and go into battle on Crait.  And how did they know to go to Crait?  I guess she and Leia have some sort of force connection now too?  *sigh*

This past weekend I watched the first time TV airing of TFA.  Although there are points where I roll my eyes (DS #3, trench run, trash compactor, etc...) it had more of a feel of a Star Wars movie than TLJ.  It may have pushed boundaries, but most issues were at least plausible in the SW universe.  (Although Poe killing 9 Tie Fighters in less than 30 seconds during the battle on Takodana).  TLJ kind of just threw every SW idea they had against the wall and whatever stuck, they went with and threw the rest away.

Keep in mind, Rian Johnson has been tapped by Disney for a brand new SW trilogy.  So apparently, they really like what he did.  But I'm not really seeing fans liking it, young or old.  I mean you know it's bad when even your 10 yr-old daughter complains about Leia's superman move in space.

• Like 2

24 minutes ago, exracer327 said:

The other scene which really annoys me is how Rey ends up back on the Falcon after she and Kylo blow up Luke's lightsaber.  So somehow she was able to wake up, find both halves of Luke's lightsaber, ignore everyone else in the room (not kill Kylo,) get off the mega ship without being seen and Chewie is able to fly the Falcon (also unseen,) to the mega ship, land, pick Rey up - because she was so easy to find on a 25 KM long ship - and go into battle on Crait.  And how did they know to go to Crait?  I guess she and Leia have some sort of force connection now too?  *sigh*

Everyone in that room except Rey and Kylo were dead. Somehow, I would expect killing someone who is unconscious would go against her moral compass. General Hux tells kylo that  she took Snoke's own personal shuttle. So, she got off the ship, Chewie didn't land there. Where was the ship? well, it could have been in the hangar, or possibly near his throne room, who knows? As far as no one seeing the pickup, The Resistance was fleeing in little ships without really great equipment, and I would assume the First Order was very focused on damage control and not on a freighter that pops into the system to meet up with a shuttle and is not trying to approach them.

I think that if I were going to complain about the space sequences, it would be the distinct lack of TIE Fighters attacking and defending in any of the space shots. I have complained frequently about Holdo sitting in the only ship with Shields strong enough to deflect the energy attacks and weapons, watching 2/3 of the remaining resistance ships getting blown out of the sky before deciding to do a suicide plan which should never have worked. If you recall in Rogue One, there were smaller ships that were just starting their run up to light speed that collided with Vader's Star Destroyer Devastator causing them to get crushed, and the Devastator gets no damage. She should have piloted the larger vessel between the fleeing ships and the oncoming fire, or gone on the attack, either option may have saved more Resistance personnel. Instead she let enough die that the entire remaining personnel could fit in the Falcon.

All of that said. I don't understand the hate for the movie. I mean seriously, no Star Wars movie is objectively a great movie. They are all pulp with nonsense scattered about. Maybe I am able to disengage enough to actually have fun no matter.

• Like 1

22 minutes ago, exracer327 said:

Yep, that is the portion of the scene that really gets me too.  Apparently Leia is able to open a pressure door that had to have slammed shut when the atmosphere was lost, close the door again, re-pressurize the area, then open the air-lock door so the rest of the crew could get to her.  All while she's basically in a vacuum and with little to now "force abilities."  *sigh*

This past weekend I watched the first time TV airing of TFA.  Although there are points where I roll my eyes (DS #3, trench run, trash compactor, etc...) it had more of a feel of a Star Wars movie than TLJ.  It may have pushed boundaries, but most issues were at least plausible in the SW universe.  (Although Poe killing 9 Tie Fighters in less than 30 seconds during the battle on Takodana).  TLJ kind of just threw every SW idea they had against the wall and whatever stuck, they went with and threw the rest away.

Keep in mind, Rian Johnson has been tapped by Disney for a brand new SW trilogy.  So apparently, they really like what he did.  But I'm not really seeing fans liking it, young or old.  I mean you know it's bad when even your 10 yr-old daughter complains about Leia's superman move in space.

Very good points.  Rey getting to the Falcon that quickly would just have been insanely hard if you are trying to explain it. 

How about the fact that Finn and Rose are able to travel wherever they want and spend days doing it while the others are under severe threat and it only seems to last hours?

Force Awakens was much better BUT both movies fail at respecting the "big three" and letting them have any scenes together.

Not to mention the new concepts of "you can slowly outrun any ship, large or small" and "you can ram any ship now by going at lightspeed."

I mean, it was stupid that the First Order couldn't send TIE bombers at any moment out to the Resistance fleet.

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, sauromosis said:

Very good points.  Rey getting to the Falcon that quickly would just have been insanely hard if you are trying to explain it. 

How about the fact that Finn and Rose are able to travel wherever they want and spend days doing it while the others are under severe threat and it only seems to last hours?

Force Awakens was much better BUT both movies fail at respecting the "big three" and letting them have any scenes together.

Not to mention the new concepts of "you can slowly outrun any ship, large or small" and "you can ram any ship now by going at lightspeed."

I mean, it was stupid that the First Order couldn't send TIE bombers at any moment out to the Resistance fleet.

Or call in a fleet of Star Destroyers to block their path?  lol, that would have actually been kind of funny.  We're out running them, "large object coming out of hyper-space,"  uh oh, we're all dead.  Leia jumps back out the airlock into space... the end.

1 minute ago, thoroakenfelder said:

If that's your qualification, Rogue One, the prequels and the forthcoming Solo all fail to do that as well.

None of those were direct sequels to the story of Luke, Leia, and Han.  It was inevitable to kill off those characters but I would have liked to see one scene of them embracing or maybe even flying ships next to each other.