Brickpicker Raffle Fundraiser for a Great Cause!!

Ed Mack

About 100 likes / $100 dollars in 26 hours. Not too bad.  We can do better.  Please click the post below and LIKE it (not this specific post).    A simple click and more money is put toward a great cause.  Please also donate anything to St Paul's Parochial School if not already. 

• Like 4

1 hour ago, thoroakenfelder said:

I hope that the school recognizes and appreciates your efforts on their behalf.

1 hour ago, thoroakenfelder said:

I hope that the school recognizes and appreciates your efforts on their behalf.

It is pretty amazing what the Macks and all the BrickPickers are doing.  I don't think anyone in the community here in Burlington would have expected this response.  It is and has been the big topic of conversation.  Every time the parents meet about fundraising or even run into each other in the community, we express our gratitude for this endeavor.  Even people who don't attend St. Paul's in the community are noticing.  

My family and I cannot thank your community enough.  I know it means a lot Ed, but he is just one part of the picture.  There are so many families that are going to be positively affected by the outcome of this raffle (not including the Lego winners).  I am very grateful that Ed and Jeff began this initiative.  It may sound silly but all of you will have contributed to my piece of mind for next school year, one less worry.  So thank you all and good luck!

• Like 5

Guest brickcrazyhouse

this endeavor also serves as a great example to the students (and us).  When you do/create something from a passion (brickpicker), and share it with the world, there will be unimaginable rewards

So this being a Lego investment forum and all, I thought it might be a good idea to write a small post about which raffle tickets to purchase, with only a few hours to go before this set of opportunities becomes a retired product*. 

There are 11 lots in total. Here's an overview + value** + my thoughts + rating. 

• 1. Death Star (10188). Value: $530. Hoarded from day one, though one of the best opportunities of the first wave. Rating: 6/10.
  • 2. UCS R2-D2 (10225). Value: $350. Hoarded from day one. Rating: 4/10. 
  • 3. Case of minifigures, probably including Mr Gold (71001). Value: $615 (or more, if Mr Gold is included). Bit hoarded maybe but many people aren't aware of the value (including me before Ed informed me). So rating: 8/10. 
  • 4. Haunted House (10228). Value: $385. Hoarded because of sentimental value I think. Rating: 5/10. 
  • 5. Town Hall (10224). Value: $500. Second wave, which is good. Nice value. Rating: 8/10. 
  • 6. Grand Emporium (10211) & Parisian Restaurant (10243). $425. Third wave, which is better. Nice sets. Rating: 7/10. 
  • 7. Mystery box 5000+ pieces. Value: probably $400-$1,000. Probably not too many raffle tickets sold for this one. You don't know what you're going to get but it certainly isn't going to be bad with that many pieces. Rating: 8/10. 
  • 8. Create a bundle 5000+ pieces. Value: probably $500-$1,000. You get to pick them yourself... honestly? This is a must have. One of the latest additions to the raffle, many people who first bought their tickets weeks before probably didn't notice this or didn't get the tickets. Rating: 9/10. 
  • 9. Tumbler (76023) & Arkhan Asylum Breakout (10937). Value: $530. This is a very good value for a lot overlooked by most Brickpickers, probably. Rating: 8/10. 
  • 10. Brickpicker bundle: 11 desirable sets. Value: $935. Yes you read that right, I added all values and this turns out to be by far the most valuable lot (that we know the value of). It was also one of the last added. So this is, for me, easily the lot that is best worth getting. Get it now... while you still can. Rating: 10/10.
  • 11. Friends bundle: 10 Friends sets plus 1 ideas set. Value: $260. Not unexpectedly, the least value lot. Few raffle tickets sold for this one, probably. Because it's the last added to the raffle and because of the value. So still not bad for your $10. Chances of winning this are of course relatively good. Rating: 5/10.   

Conclusions (from worst to best):

- Lot 2 is probably not the right choice at this point in time (value 4/10). 
- Lots 4 and 11 I also wouldn't try, unless you really want that Haunted House or are a friends' friend (value 5/10). 

- Lots 1 looks okay (value 6/10). 
- Lot 6 is a very understandable choice (value 7/10). 

- Lots 3, 5, 7 and 9 are probably rather overlooked and have high values. Much recommended (value 8/10). 
- Lot 8 is a must-have. Get a few of those tickets or you'll regret it later. 

- Lot 10 is, in my view, the best of the bunch. Get as many tickets as you can while you can. This is a winner!

Guess I'm going to get myself another ticket for lot 10. 

*The tone of this post is not to be taken too seriously, was however written with respect for the good cause and its contents are in principle true and useful. The use of terms as 'retired' and 'hoarded' is intended as playful and should not be interpreted as businesslike or disrespectful. 
** For the value I took a look at Brickpicker's price guide + current listings. 

• Like 3

29 minutes ago, Roy vd M. said:

So this being a Lego investment forum and all, I thought it might be a good idea to write a small post about which raffle tickets to purchase, with only a few hours to go before this set of opportunities becomes a retired product*. [...]

Thanks for the well thought and explained analysis. Of course there is a ton of speculation on your post on how "hoarded" are the tickets. Only the Macs really know where BPers are placing their donations/bets. There is a great chance that many here did an analysis like yours before purchasing tickets and purchased accordingly. Furthermore, while there were several waves and early birds did not have the whole options, as you have seen the bulk of the tickets has been purchased at the very end anyways, with many early birds making second and third purchases.

I was sort of hopping Ed will throw a few cryptic clues about which lots have been overlooked to incentivize last minute additions and to balance the number of tickets in each raffle. Something like "the heart city is missing hearts", "Too many x-wings targeting death star"... But maybe that is unfair and against the spirit of the raffle? 

Regardless, I saved a bit of my donation for a last minute "investment" a la F5.  

Newbie to the board and it's my 1st post...Been on several months and have enjoy all the knowledge and banter...Bought a ticket for the Death Star and turns out i'm the 1,000th supporter...Thanks to Ed and Jeff and everyone for what they do and hopefully they can reach their goal and congrats to all the lucky winners of the drawings (Probably won't be me but you never know)...Heck for good karma I'm gonna keep an eye on the $ total and try to be the one that brings it over $50k!

• Like 2

Thanks for the well thought and explained analysis. Of course there is a ton of speculation on your post on how "hoarded" are the tickets. Only the Macs really know where BPers are placing their donations/bets. There is a great chance that many here did an analysis like yours before purchasing tickets and purchased accordingly. Furthermore, while there were several waves and early birds did not have the whole options, as you have seen the bulk of the tickets has been purchased at the very end anyways, with many early birds making second and third purchases.

I was sort of hopping Ed will throw a few cryptic clues about which lots have been overlooked to incentivize last minute additions and to balance the number of tickets in each raffle. Something like "the heart city is missing hearts", "Too many x-wings targeting death star"... But maybe that is unfair and against the spirit of the raffle? 

Regardless, I saved a bit of my donation for a last minute "investment" a la F5.  

$110 will unlock the secrets you seek.

• Like 1