Jump to content

Brickpicker Raffle Fundraiser for a Great Cause!!


Ed Mack
 Share

Recommended Posts

2 hours ago, Ed Mack said:

We are getting there. This raffle really helped. I never really expected this. I was hoping just to make enough to cover the costs of the sets. Honestly., I am amazed by the recent activity. I knew people could help. But would they? The answer was a resounding yes. We still have a 6 or 7 hours to reach $60,000.

I hope you were planning on making more then the cost of the sets because otherwise why would you do it.

you ended up with a return of probably between 12-1 to 15-1 on your sets(if you count the original purchase price obviously that would be much higher

Link to comment
Share on other sites

7 minutes ago, MathBuilder said:

That is funny I thought "friends i guess" meant that Phil B has a lot of BPer friends in the raffle that are sharing information. But now that I read that again it could totally mean the friends bundle. LOL

I read it as the Friends bundle indeed .... and my lips stay sealed. I could be wrong of course, I have several tickets with a number between 20 and 40, but those were purchased before Christmas :) Still, based on general preferences and on some of my later purchases I'm quite sure I know the magic "low purchase count" bundle :) And before you think there is a truly realistic chance of winning that raffle, if my number is any indication the chance of a single ticket winning that raffle is less than 0.4%

 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

8 minutes ago, river41 said:

I hope you were planning on making more then the cost of the sets because otherwise why would you do it.

you ended up with a return of probably between 12-1 to 15-1 on your sets(if you count the original purchase price obviously that would be much higher

It depends on what you mean by "return" or "making". His return is going to be 0. 

 

  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

7 minutes ago, MathBuilder said:

It depends on what you mean by "return" or "making". His return is going to be 0. 

 

could probably get someone to make a ROI spreadsheet on the ROI of donating sets... with a comprehensive analysis of why its not a good investment to give good sets away in a raffle even though its for a good cause...  Then throw in the argument of whether Ed used his VIP points during double VIP month to obtain these sets that he raffled and whether that was a smart choice or not...

  • Like 2
Link to comment
Share on other sites

7 minutes ago, MathBuilder said:

It depends on what you mean by "return" or "making". His return is going to be 0. 

 

I'm pretty sure that the total current market value of those sets counts as either a "donation" or a "write off" from a tax perspective, and that Ed gets some relief this way. And the only people making money here are the raffle winners (provided they didn't spend >$500 to get a single prize), RallyUp (they get a percentage) and OF COURSE the school, which was the whole reason for the raffle in the first place!

Link to comment
Share on other sites

16 minutes ago, MathBuilder said:

It depends on what you mean by "return" or "making". His return is going to be 0. 

 

I am fairly certain his return will be a great school that his child and family will enjoy, with teachers and staff that will be grateful for what he and his family have done for them and the school. 

  • Like 2
Link to comment
Share on other sites

26 minutes ago, river41 said:

I hope you were planning on making more then the cost of the sets because otherwise why would you do it.

you ended up with a return of probably between 12-1 to 15-1 on your sets(if you count the original purchase price obviously that would be much higher

I honestly had no idea how this would play out.  My gut told me people would participate, but to this degree, I never really could have imagined.  I did it because the school needed my help and this was the best shot of making a substantial impact.  It could have flopped just as easily.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

21 minutes ago, Phil B said:

I'm pretty sure that the total current market value of those sets counts as either a "donation" or a "write off" from a tax perspective, and that Ed gets some relief this way. And the only people making money here are the raffle winners (provided they didn't spend >$500 to get a single prize), RallyUp (they get a percentage) and OF COURSE the school, which was the whole reason for the raffle in the first place!

I will not write these off.  I could care less about that stuff.  I have said this time and again, that's not how I roll.  There are no angles here.  It's a win for me to see my son in St. Paul for another year.  That's all this was ever about.  Getting one more year.  One battle at a time.

19 minutes ago, Salimr said:

I am fairly certain his return will be a great school that his child and family will enjoy, with teachers and staff that will be grateful for what he and his family have done for them and the school. 

This^^^^

  • Like 3
Link to comment
Share on other sites

12 minutes ago, Ed Mack said:

I will not write these off.  I could care less about that stuff.  I have said this time and again, that's not how I roll.  There are no angles here.  It's a win for me to see my son in St. Paul for another year.  That's all this was ever about.  Getting one more year.  One battle at a time.

 

Ed, I didn't mean to imply this was your impetus for doing this .... not at all. Reading back I think I could have inserted a "Could" into that first sentence to make my statement clearer. The objective of my post was to illustrate that there were several winning camps in this, but foremost the school is who is "winning", which was the whole objective. And I think that they should name a wing of the building after you :)

  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

13 minutes ago, Phil B said:

Ed, I didn't mean to imply this was your impetus for doing this .... not at all. Reading back I think I could have inserted a "Could" into that first sentence to make my statement clearer. The objective of my post was to illustrate that there were several winning camps in this, but foremost the school is who is "winning", which was the whole objective. And I think that they should name a wing of the building after you :)

I understand.  I will miss watching this ticker go up.  There were many days where it moved very little and I felt defeated, then other days it exploded and it was like winning at a slot machine or something similar.  It's been an interesting journey.

  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

7 minutes ago, Ed Mack said:

I understand.  I will miss watching this ticker go up.  There were many days where it moved very little and I felt defeated, then other days it exploded and it was like winning at a slot machine or something similar.  It's been an interesting journey.

I recall your frustration several weeks ago with the lack of response ... am I glad it turned out to be a solid case of procrastinatus superlativus.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

1 hour ago, Ed Mack said:

Remember, the raffle goes off at 1:59AM EST.  It was set to Arizona time.  I will throw in a Tower of Orthanc into the BrickPicker Bundle as well as the SSD if we reach $70,000.  

I will throw in a Sea Cow (besides the SSD and Tower of Orthanc) into the BrickPicker Bundle if we hit $70,000.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

1 hour ago, Ed Mack said:

Remember, the raffle goes off at 1:59AM EST.  It was set to Arizona time.  I will throw in a Tower of Orthanc into the BrickPicker Bundle as well as the SSD if we reach $70,000.  

Just in case it gets there. I got a few more tickets for that bundle.

Now BUY BUY BUY those tickets I want the SSD.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

1 hour ago, Ed Mack said:

Remember, the raffle goes off at 1:59AM EST.  It was set to Arizona time.  I will throw in a Tower of Orthanc into the BrickPicker Bundle as well as the SSD if we reach $70,000.  

Do the ticket sales close before the drawing? I decided to be a super procrastinator and was shut down while completing the transaction at 8:59 PST (my time). 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

I guess they locked it.  The raffle probably goes off at 1:59 AM(EST).  It was supposed to go off at 11:59 AM (EST), but I see the "2 hours left" icon.  It was originally set to stop at 12 PM on January 31st, but I asked them to move it back 12 hours to midnight.  They might not have coordinated the sales and raffle time.  Regardless, I would like to thank everyone for their generous donations.  As soon as I get the winners, I will contact them and work on a plan on shipping out the sets.  

  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.
Note: Your post will require moderator approval before it will be visible.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

Loading...
 Share

  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    No registered users viewing this page.




×
×
  • Create New...