75159 - UCS: Death Star (2016)

No More Monkeys

On ‎8‎/‎24‎/‎2016 at 4:13 PM, Ed Mack said:

LEGO adapts quickly now.  It sells...it stays...it doesn't sell...it gets retired.  That's why there is still the Tower Bridge and Pet Shop floating around.

Yes and no.  I'm not convinced there's brilliance at work over at Lego HQ.  They alienated a lot of genuine end users (i.e. not only resellers) with this "Retiring Soon" - Buy Now! crap followed by a nearly identical remake less than a year later.  Teaching collectors that they should be cautious about paying over MSRP for a retired set is not a great idea from a long-term business perspective.  People like to feel that $1 spent on Lego is a $1 that can be recovered someday, and with interest to boot.  As with all the price hikes of the past few years, I think the company is pursuing short-term profits at the expense of customer (especially collector) loyalty.  And yeah, they're alienating resellers, but Lego probably considers that a plus.  They've always hated us.  That's just how they roll.

• Like 3

11 minutes ago, CM4Sci said:

Found another photo of the front of the box in case people still don't believe this. 

CM4Sci, Thanks for the update!

It will prob be in Twitter soon enough... Please don't post it here,. 

How is it diff than the current ones we seen?

what i want to know is the weight & size.   See how those #s compare to 10188 ;)

The New Death Star is here in most Lego Stores already, I was in Arundel Mills in Md the other day and asked about it and the manager said hold on she went in the back and got one, scanned it and it said $499.99 so its here should be the Exclusive in middle of Sept with the Holiday train, I will say the Death Star box color is ugly.    Ed

On 8/24/2016 at 11:52 AM, emazers said:

Not saying what Lego Store I seen the new Death Star 75159, as the manager said no pictures and don't post what store you seen this in. So I got at the Lego store at 10 this morning, head manager was there and first thing i asked him is whats the story on the new DS he said hold on, he went in the back and came out with one, he said they had 10 so far, he scanned it and it says $499.99 and it looks just like the leaked photos. same size Box, so he you go its coming mid September, he said thats not confirmed but he said thats most likely the exclusive along with the Holiday Train. 

12 minutes ago, emazers said:

The New Death Star is here in most Lego Stores already, I was in Arundel Mills in Md the other day and asked about it and the manager said hold on she went in the back and got one, scanned it and it said $499.99 so its here should be the Exclusive in middle of Sept with the Holiday train, I will say the Death Star box color is ugly.    Ed

Are you sure you want to post what store you saw it in?  Because a couple days ago you said you couldn't say. 

• Like 1

I am noticing a statistically significant increase in the number of 10179 and other UCS sets coming up for sale recently and a very real but small and very recent decrease in the selling prices of some, most specifically 10179 and a few of the older possibly due for a refresh sets.  Anyone noticing similar?

Edited by junkrigger
omit details
  • Like 2

12 minutes ago, junkrigger said:
I am noticing a statistically significant increase in the number of 10179 and other UCS sets coming up for sale recently and a very real decrease in selling prices. Anyone noticing similar?

Not that title specifically but I've noticed tons of scams that eBay seems to be letting go through on the higher end releases.

EDIT: I just looked and those too are all scams. So, the answer is no.

Edited by dcdfan

5 minutes ago, dcdfan said:

Not that title specifically but I've noticed tons of scams that eBay seems to be letting go through on the higher end releases.

EDIT: I just looked and those too are all scams. So, the answer is no.

Agreed lots more scams but I also think there are more legitimate listings as well, especially locally. 

3 minutes ago, junkrigger said:

Agreed lots more scams but I also think there are more legitimate listings as well, especially locally. 

This is not the thread but if you have examples I'll look at it but if it says Russia or the item is listed for half price and the seller has like 3 feedbacks, I'm not buying it. Sorry. I honestly can't believe people are falling for these things day in and day out. The "buyers" should be banned also.

Edited by dcdfan

2 hours ago, emazers said:

I am not buying any , I no my theory is to buy a few now and then, but in this case I could 75 yrs old or more before these are retired, and I still will have some 10188 laying around.

I'm with you. As I'm not buying much Lego anymore for investing.  I'll be close to 50 when 75159 is prob rehashed again.  There will likely be only one 75159 in my collection and that's if the kids ask for it down the road.  Regardless of the rehash, it still makes a nice school report card award or holiday present.