75159 - UCS: Death Star (2016)

No More Monkeys

Am I the only one getting the irony in adovcates of reselling LEGO complaining that the new 10188 (with updated figures and building techniques) is not worth 100.00 more than the 75159(an inferior product) that they felt/hoped would be worth well more than the retail price they paid  + 100.00 after its retirement? 

First off, I don't think the Death Star is inferior. Inferior would imply a weak seller, unpopular. Clearly this, nor the remake is inferior. From an investing standpoint it is a crappy set as it will be around for well over a decade when it is all said and done. This is a site for investing in Lego- anything that keeps us from making a profit is crap. So yes if Lego stooped to our level and is essentially doing what we do, well that sucks. No irony, it's a sh**ty situation for those who are in deep in this set and have to sit on it for a long time. Maybe you and others like to laugh at people's misfortune, but I don't see any humor in it.
  • Like 5

i thought about it too, but I think if the set was $500 instead of $499, then you'd get $25 in VIP points.

On a $499.99 set you earn 499.99 VIP points. I can't remember where but in the fine print it explains it. Of course you have to do that 100 times to see that single penny roll over and then 100 more times before that would be redeemable for $5 off.

Wow, what a nail in the coffin. Im sure a lot went into the design... I hope no one buys this thing. I wonder how quickly it will go on permanent sale.  At least one can get out of 10188s breaking close to even.

Down the line- yes. Right now if you paid retail( which I did ) you would be taking a loss if you sold.

As a Star Wars super fan and a lover of all things Lego, I welcome this. Investing in Lego began with personal and emotional investment not just financial even the birth of this site is a testament to that: a community "joined" together because of an emotional connection to these little plastic bricks. Money is just an added bonus, the investment is spending time and building it with your kids.

Edited by stanleycoolbrick
  • Like 1

13 minutes ago, stanleycoolbrick said:

As a Star Wars super fan and a lover of all things Lego, I welcome this. Investing in Lego began with personal and emotional investment not just financial even the birth of this site is a testament to that: a community "joined" together because of an emotional connection to these little plastic bricks. Money is just an added bonus, the investment is spending time and building it with your kids.

giphy.gif

Edited by mudcatsfan
  • Like 9

30 minutes ago, stanleycoolbrick said:

Just wondering ... what's your reason on welcoming this? Is it because of the updated figures?

31 minutes ago, stanleycoolbrick said:

Uhh.. no

• Like 2

1 minute ago, stanleycoolbrick said:

It's Star Wars my ninja

Even as a fan I don't see the good in this set unless I didn't have the old one and most folks have the old one becuase it only retired few months back after being available for so long . I would have preferred somerging brand new or a rehash of a set that hasn't been available for 3-4 years . 

• Like 1

1 minute ago, stanleycoolbrick said:

It's Star Wars my ninja

First, I'm not sure what you mean by that expression ... English is not my first language ... 

I'm interpreting it as ... "Because it is Star Wars" ... please correct me if I'm wrong ... just want to have an educated discussion on how to spin a "pro" to this set.

So as long as they say that it's a new Star Wars set, even if it's identical to an existing set, you will still welcome it? Kinda like how different sells the same thing with a different version numbers? That's quite interesting if you are at that point of a "super fan".

1 minute ago, Bold-Arrow said:

Even as a fan I don't see the good in this set unless I didn't have the old one and most folks have the old one becuase it only retired few months back after being available for so long . I would have preferred somerging brand new or a rehash of a set that hasn't been available for 3-4 years . 

I'm not so sure why people didn't buy the previous set if they are a super fan ... and if they didn't buy the previous set on purpose, then I doubt they will buy it because of an updated box and a $100 increase in price.

And for people who didn't know the previous set exists ... well certainly there are some, but that number can't sustain the decision to create a new set and plan for all the marketing and stuff ... I think they money will be much better spend if they put an effort to create a new set instead of the new movies.

• Like 3

3 minutes ago, ad2001 said:

First, I'm not sure what you mean by that expression ... English is not my first language ... 

I'm interpreting it as ... "Because it is Star Wars" ... please correct me if I'm wrong ... just want to have an educated discussion on how to spin a "pro" to this set.

So as long as they say that it's a new Star Wars set, even if it's identical to an existing set, you will still welcome it? Kinda like how different sells the same thing with a different version numbers? That's quite interesting if you are at that point of a "super fan".

images?q=tbn:ANd9GcQh_kC601ypN2AQWSaf0QF