75159 - UCS: Death Star (2016)

No More Monkeys

There's a positive angle to this:

- This set should have low probability of being remade (ding)

- The price tag is high enough to get out of the old DS without losing money (unless you bought > RRP)

- You can focus your money on other sets

- The frustration from fans lowers the chance for a R2D2 or SSD remake (which in fact would be a huge drama)

Still, I'm throwing in the towel. I called customer service on the WVM and sent mails to ask not to reproduce exact replicas.

'We will certainly take into account your feedback'

My view: TLG is going for the quick buck LEPIN style

apologyse for me francais

6 minutes ago, labfreak7 said:

So not to add to the shredded conspiracy theory, but I just got my Lego catalog in the mail and there are no pictures of a Death Star.

I know it is difficult to see... but you are obviously still in the denial phase.

We will leave you alone for now so you can find time to mourn.

• Like 5

21 hours ago, labfreak7 said:

First off, I don't think the Death Star is inferior. Inferior would imply a weak seller, unpopular. Clearly this, nor the remake is inferior. From an investing standpoint it is a crappy set as it will be around for well over a decade when it is all said and done. This is a site for investing in Lego- anything that keeps us from making a profit is crap. So yes if Lego stooped to our level and is essentially doing what we do, well that sucks. No irony, it's a sh**ty situation for those who are in deep in this set and have to sit on it for a long time. Maybe you and others like to laugh at people's misfortune, but I don't see any humor in it.

I didn't say humor...I said irony....and yes, it is ironic that guys are complaining about the 100.00 bump, when they themselves were looking for more than a 100.00 bump on yes....and inferior set.  

Some of you guys are sensitive when stuff doesn't go your way.  Word to the wise, if you got to learn to take the ebbs and flows in businesses like this. 

Edited by scuttfarkas

2 minutes ago, scuttfarkas said:

I didn't say humor...I said irony....and yes, it is ironic that guys are complaining about the 100.00 bump, when they themselves were looking for more than a 100.00 bump on yes....and inferior set.  

The irony is thick, but there is one big difference between us and LEGO.

> People on this site are selling 10188 (or were trying to) as a genuine 10188 Death Star. Sure they'd like to make a little extra counting on the fact that a product is retired, never to be made again but (aside from a few low lifes) we aren't misrepresenting what we're selling.

> LEGO retired a product, slapped a few cosmetic changes into and on the box, threw in a few extra cheese slopes, and is inevitably going to market it as something new along with the $100 price increase. So they hustled their existing customers and fan base to buy out the remaining stock of 10188 as a "retiring soon" product... That new Death Star had to be in the works when the existing 10188 was marked as "retiring soon." They lied to their customers.

When a reseller lies to their customers they are taken to task. We're simply taking LEGO to task for a real s**t head move 

• Like 6

10 minutes ago, scuttfarkas said:

...when they themselves were looking for more than a 100.00 bump on yes....and inferior set.  

Some of you guys are sensitive when stuff doesn't go your way.  Word to the wise, if you got to learn to take the ebbs and flows in businesses like this. 

I would check your grammar if you are going to give advice... Just to avoid being misunderstood.

Just FYI, I think its possible to give your opinion without directing it to anyone specifically. If your intent is truly to make impact somehow, that would be a better course of action. If you are just trying to be argumentative, then by all means continue because you are doing a great job. :o)

Besides, saying "toughen up" to folks in a situation that you yourself are not in does not seem helpful at all. You are on a Lego INVESTMENT forum that is designed to help people gain profit above that of the vendor through reselling. So actually, gaining $100 or more profit on a set is EXACTLY why we are all here I think. That is in no way ironic to me.

• Like 3

AoH is a good indicator.. There are about ZERO on the reseller market... Maybe 10 years from now we all eat crow, but not likely (Maybe its the LAST Hoth remake ever??)

I don't think people 5 years from now will be saying "I wish I went all in on that Death Star remake". Not to mention folks won't be displaying photos of their brand new Death Star out of fear and shame from social media (How could you possibly spend $100 extra for the same product).

It will sell some sets, but not to the degree 10188 sold.

What COULD happen is everyone with a 10188 offloads it for cheap as a used set and uses the offset to purchase the new one for the figs or just to have "the latest". I've seen a bigger increase in the old Red 5 and Slave 1 on Ebay/Craigslist as USED sets (although those remakes were LIGHT YEARS from this one). People just upgraded and spent the difference. As a collector I have that tendancy which would be the only reason I get a "new" Death Star IF I buy one. That, I believe, will be the largest segment of 75159 purchases. The alternative is non Star Wars fans who just saw Rogue One 1 and want that big ball space center thing from the movie for Christmas.

We are all well aware of the ebb and flow and volatility to investing. I was commenting to the proverbial salt on the wound or rubbing our faces in the sh*t that we now have to clean up. This is not an lol moment for anyone, I can deal with being out about $900+ on two Lego sets, what I can do without is the wise a** remarks.

It kinda reminds me of this 57c4ae85bc011_ImageUploadedByBrickpicker

• Like 1

40 minutes ago, gregpj said:

The irony is thick, but there is one big difference between us and LEGO.

> People on this site are selling 10188 (or were trying to) as a genuine 10188 Death Star. Sure they'd like to make a little extra counting on the fact that a product is retired, never to be made again but (aside from a few low lifes) we aren't misrepresenting what we're selling.

> LEGO retired a product, slapped a few cosmetic changes into and on the box, threw in a few extra cheese slopes, and is inevitably going to market it as something new along with the $100 price increase. So they hustled their existing customers and fan base to buy out the remaining stock of 10188 as a "retiring soon" product... That new Death Star had to be in the works when the existing 10188 was marked as "retiring soon." They lied to their customers.

When a reseller lies to their customers they are taken to task. We're simply taking LEGO to task for a real s**t head move 

They didn't lie. They added 200+ pieces and updated the minifigures.  Sets are refreshed all the time with minimal or a small amount of cosmetic improvements. 

6 minutes ago, labfreak7 said:

We are all well aware of the ebb and flow and volatility to investing. I was commenting to the proverbial salt on the wound or rubbing our faces in the sh*t that we now have to clean up. This is not an lol moment for anyone, I can deal with being out about $900+ on two Lego sets, what I can do without is the wise a** remarks.

I don't recall "lol"ing. 

32 minutes ago, Ed Mack said:

Consumers will have the last laugh.  My money is on this set being a flop.

It's not going to retire....

38 minutes ago, jstodda said:

I would check your grammar if you are going to give advice... Just to avoid being misunderstood.

Just FYI, I think its possible to give your opinion without directing it to anyone specifically. If your intent is truly to make impact somehow, that would be a better course of action. If you are just trying to be argumentative, then by all means continue because you are doing a great job. :o)

Besides, saying "toughen up" to folks in a situation that you yourself are not in does not seem helpful at all. You are on a Lego INVESTMENT forum that is designed to help people gain profit above that of the vendor through reselling. So actually, gaining $100 or more profit on a set is EXACTLY why we are all here I think. That is in no way ironic to me.

Let's not do the grammar thing as your post has several instances of incorrect grammar. 

WEll the thing Lego don't understand,, they cannot ask the reseller price of  a discontinued product, It is no more available, so yes I can ask more if the market says so. But in the 500MSRP case of the death star. it is abuse. They don't stop increasing price.. I mean, now there is some starwars or avengers sets worth 75$ in a 50-60$ box with the number of part to go with. I do think if lego continue to rise prices, they will fall quick. But , nice thing for 10188 olders. If it was 400MSRP, alot of people will lose money.....

Edited by TargetZero

4 minutes ago, TargetZero said:

WEll the thing Lego don't understand,, they cannot ask the reseller price for a discontinued product, It is no more available, so yes I can ask more if the market says so. But in the 500MSRP case of the death star. it is abuse. They don't stop increasing price.. I mean, now there is some starwars sets worth 75$ in a 50-60$ box with the number of part to go with. I do think if lego continue to rise prices, they will fall quick.

With inflation, someone is basically paying 50.00 more for this item than they would have for a similar (but not exact) item with approx 200 less pieces and "lesser" minifigures in 2008. 

Well i don't care of 2008. It is recent. it started last year.. I am comparing 2014-2015 and 2016. And in 2016, many lego sets are overpriced. Anyway, pay doesnt go with inflation, so will people still buy this in 10-20 year with a 2-3-4% rise in inflation? The world will fall appart. It is already, oh and yeah. oil is very cheap. 

Edited by TargetZero
  • Like 1