75159 - UCS: Death Star (2016)

No More Monkeys

12 minutes ago, emonster said:

Never liked the playhouse set so I never bought any for myself or for resell but I can understand why the younger ones like it. 

IMHO lego basically "retired" it so that it could be rebranded with Disney logo. If you think about it, all high demand sets will be redone eventually, it's just a question of how much time passes between refreshes. In this case the wait was just a couple months. 

My son and I have a few UCS sets.  And the first thing he told me when he saw that they were just for display was "but I can't play with it".  The death star will continue to sell, maybe not to us, but it will sell.  The question is how much will the 10188 undercut their sales until they start discounting 75159.  I arrived to the party late, but I would have walked out of this party if I got caught up with hoarding DS sets.  2 would have hurt, four would have sent me out of the door altogether.    

All the comments on the FB pages about Lego are the problem "oh cool new DS" "I'm so getting this" sheep to the slaughter...

If ANYONE is interested in a new DS buy a 2nd 10188 and add a cheese wedge and save 100 dollars..

People need to boycott this set to teach Lego a lesson...it's a toy company yes but the collectors, AFOL, parents, etc have the money and this stunt (2 times in one year) won't work

Am I the only one getting the irony in adovcates of reselling LEGO complaining that the new 10188 (with updated figures and building techniques) is not worth 100.00 more than the 75159(an inferior product) that they felt/hoped would be worth well more than the retail price they paid  + 100.00 after its retirement? 

Edited by scuttfarkas
  • Like 8

6 minutes ago, scuttfarkas said:

Am I the only one getting the irony in adovcates of reselling LEGO complaining that the new 10188 (with updated figures and building techniques) is not worth 100.00 more than the 75159(an inferior product) that they felt/hoped would be worth well more than 100.00 after its retirement? 

You're a funny guy.

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, Ciglione said:

Like a clown.

I'm sitting here, talking about LEGO and Death Stars....and you're telling me, "I'm funny". What does that mean....."I'm funny".  How the **** am I "funny" to you?  You mean, like I'm here for your amusement or something?  

Just now, Bold-Arrow said:

Keep it cool gents 

I thought it was.  I'd figure a  guy with Michael Corleone as his avatar would be keen to a pivotal scene in the second or third greatest mob movie of all time. 

• Like 1

5 hours ago, scuttfarkas said:

I prefer to think of my post as a keen,humorous analysis of an unfortunate situation for some. 

I almost had him, I almost had him. Ya stuttering ***** ya. Frankie, was he shaking? I wonder about you sometimes, Henry. You may fold under questioning.

• Like 2

Looking at that minifigure picture, I only see Tarkin, the Imperial Droids, and Princess Leia as somewhat exclusive.  All the other figures are in existing sets, or sets coming out in the next year.  This alone is not a sales point for me.  I can easily bricklink the cheese wedges and few extra parts that will make the set more stable and add it to the existing one.  In fact I probably already have them in my inventory.

Then all my son has to do if he wants to make it look more "modern" is pull the minifigs from the cantina, final jedi duel, Imperial Star Destroyer, Death Star Troopers Battlepack, and Droid escape pod.  Chewbacca can come from either the droid gunship or new falcon, and Han Solo and the Imperial Navy Officer come with the series 1 microfighters (ok ok there's a new hair piece).  

Since we have all those sets, buying this to justify 4 minifigures seems a little silly.  Old Tarkin can just be the substitute.  And those astromech and death star droids are not that important.