75159 - UCS: Death Star (2016)

No More Monkeys

let us know how your buyers respond. i have a 15% restocking fee and buyer pays return postage in my ebay and bl listings but that goes only so far...

Hate to say it but that all means nothing if they open a claim that it is not as described. Everything is out the window then, and you have to accept the return. Sucks but that is how eBay plays the game. PayPal is even worse. Doubt they will want their money back as the old DS is still cheaper than the new one.

3 minutes ago, labfreak7 said:

Hate to say it but that all means nothing if they open a claim that it is not as described. Everything is out the window then, and you have to accept the return. Sucks but that is how eBay plays the game. PayPal is even worse. Doubt they will want their money back as the old DS is still cheaper than the new one.

That's why I typed, "but that goes only so far...".

I think people should not forget that the 10188 DS immediately followed the 10143 http://brickset.com/sets/10143-1/Death-Star-II That one was very different from the 71159 and 10188 set, but in amount of pieces pretty similar (also more affordable at the time)

The 10143 is currently selling for 2k, so I think the 10188 will also do well in a couple of years. I would expect it to probably stay under 2x RRP, though.

I never invested in the DS because it simply is too big of a set (over 8KG) to easily send to buyers.

• Like 1

14 minutes ago, Legojona said:

That one was very different from the 71159 and 10188 set, but in amount of pieces pretty similar (also more affordable at the time)

10143 was only on sale for approx. 1-2 years I believe. 10188 was out for approx. 8!   There's your biggest difference right there, these two sets can't be compared! The rarity of 10143 was one of the things that made it great, it wasn't horded by many for years and years. Plus, as you mentioned above they were different one being an obvious play set and the other a display piece, people aren't necessarily worried about piece count, they are more concerned about the fact buyers will now turn to 75159 as opposed to 10188 for their collection as the sets are pretty much identical.

Not to mention 10143 was part of the UCS.

Edited by Manse1001

I am sorry. I am not investing to Lego much money nor for long time, but it was pretty clear, that 10188 is huge money black hole.

That set was for sale for unbelievable long time and the price point is enormous. For that retail price, only enthusiasts will buy it, as it is not in common christmas/birthday present price range and those people have several years to purchase it in retail. Heck, even people who wanted that set back when it was released had enough time to finish their school, start earning money and buy their own.

Add to this the enormous hype spreading through sites like this, when people stock this set like crazy and I am really sorry, but everyone had to see that the real consumer market was already oversaturated long time ago. It really does not matter whether the 75159 is the reissue orany kind of update, everyone who really wants to build his own 10188 already has it.

Sometimes it would be really nice if people would be able to at least think a little bit before investing their money to anything, as 10188 is clear speculative bubble that it could be an example in economy literature. I expect the same BS with the Disney Castle, when people will be hoarding this expensive set like idiots.

13 minutes ago, Legojona said:

I think people should not forget that the 10188 DS immediately followed the 10143 http://brickset.com/sets/10143-1/Death-Star-II That one was very different from the 71159 and 10188 set, but in amount of pieces pretty similar (also more affordable at the time)

The 10143 is currently selling for 2k, so I think the 10188 will also do well in a couple of years. I would expect it to probably stay under 2x RRP, though.

I never invested in the DS because it simply is too big of a set (over 8KG) to easily send to buyers.

I would think that for the lifetime of 75159, 10188's price is limited by the commonly accessible sale price of 75159, i.e. $500 or less. Only once 75159 also retires (and doesn't immediately get followed by another playset-DeathStar) will that barrier get lifted.

The "good" news in this is that $500 is at least a $100 "buffer" versus the buy-in price most here got their 10188's for, so there is a little room for fees and shipping etc, and a smidge of profit - i.e. you don't sell at a loss.

Unless of course the sell-off is so big this month that 10188 becomes a rarity and collectors will pay more for that version just to complete their collection. Unlikely though. So I don't see 2xRRP (i.e. $800) happening in a couple of years.

4 minutes ago, Phil B said:

Unlikely though. So I don't see 2xRRP (i.e. $800) happening in a couple of years.

I don't think 2xRRP is ever going to happen. 10188 was available for 8 years. If the new one is available for even half that time, there's still 12 years for people to hoard death stars. Maybe in 20 years (with inflation) :P

30 minutes ago, Legojona said:

I don't mean to sound like an ass but have you even been following this thread? Your analogy is stupid and please reread the past posts if not. 75159 is an exact copy(with new minifigs) of 10188. That is the problem!  The reason why 10143 is selling for 2k is because its different. One is a display set and the other is a play set. If 75159 was an exact copy of 10143 then guess what.  10143 would not be selling for 2k.

Why would anyone buy 10188 for 2x RRP($800) when the exact same, possibly better copy is out on the market for $500? That makes no sense

45 minutes ago, Hennessy said:

Sometimes it would be really nice if people would be able to at least think a little bit before investing their money to anything, as 10188 is clear speculative bubble that it could be an example in economy literature. I expect the same BS with the Disney Castle, when people will be hoarding this expensive set like idiots.

14 minutes ago, Dark Helmet said:

Your analogy is stupid and please reread the past posts if not.

What's with all the aggression guys, is friendly discourse not possible on an internet forum populated by complete strangers anymore??

4610854.jpg

• Like 2

58 minutes ago, Legojona said:

I am sorry, but I can not agree with you. 10143 is in totally different situation in comparison to 10188.

1) Death Star II has a display value, which is important for collectors. 10188 is paly set with no display side, which makes it not interesting for collectors who dispaly their collection for added "oomph" effect.

2) 10143 was not sold in amount not even close to 10188. Lego investing was not popular in that time, there is only few people who still has these sets boxed an unopened. 10188 on the other hand is hoarded and far from rare.

Its value will be close to retail price and it will be hard to get rid of it.

11 hours ago, jaisonline said:

@ironbrick.and @redcell

Please knock it off or @Jeff Mack and @Ed Mackwill intervene.  The mods are past being tried of your going back and forth.  It doesn't matter who started it.

Just ignore each other.    The recent banter has been hidden.

Uh, I have no idea what you are talking about! It is truly amazing that once again this forum chose to edit my simple response to Ed when he resorted to name calling and I DID NOT.

I just looked at what was said today and cannot find any responses or communications in reference.

If the mods would be so nice to confirm why my response was deleted in full I would appreciate it.

Not sure what was said after that as I don't check this forum every hour or even every day like some.